Mixing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosarge

Jul 30, 2017
Hi , I'm fairly new to vaping , 3 months now and still searching and trying new flavors and pg/vg combination percentages. I'm liking the 70vg 30 pg the best so far. My question is I want to mix my 2 favorites together. I have a 70/30 Vanilla with 0 (zero) nic and a 70/30 Blueberry flavor with 6 MG nic.
If I make a small batch (4ml) to try out , as example 3 ML of the 0 nic Vanilla and 1ML of the 6 mg nic Blueberry would the NIC now be decreased by 75% ? or do I have the wrong thinking idea. thanks

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Nicotine, in e-liquids, is properly expressed as "milligrams per milliliter" (or mg/mL). In your example, you are using 1mL of 6mg/mL e-liquid which give you a total of 6mg total nicotine (1mL x 6mg = 6mg total nicotine available). If you had said 3mL of 6mg/mL you would then have had 18mg total nicotine (3mL x 6mg = 18mg total nicotine available).

But, getting back to your example:
3mL Vanilla 0mg/mL (3mL x 0mg = 0mg total nicotine available)
+
1mL Blueberry 6mg/mL (1mL x 6mg = 6mg total nicotine available)
=
4mL (total volume) Vanilla/Blueberry with 1.5mg/mL nicotine (6mg (total available nic) ÷ 4mL = 1.5mg/mL)

Does that make sense?:)

tosarge

Jul 30, 2017
off the top of my head 1.5mg yep should be -75%. When it's that close a little either way who's gonna notice.

Nicotine, in e-liquids, is properly expressed as "milligrams per milliliter" (or mg/mL). In your example, you are using 1mL of 6mg/mL e-liquid which give you a total of 6mg total nicotine (1mL x 6mg = 6mg total nicotine available). If you had said 3mL of 6mg/mL you would then have had 18mg total nicotine (3mL x 6mg = 18mg total nicotine available).

But, getting back to your example:
3mL Vanilla 0mg/mL (3mL x 0mg = 0mg total nicotine available)
+
1mL Blueberry 6mg/mL (1mL x 6mg = 6mg total nicotine available)
=
4mL (total volume) Vanilla/Blueberry with 1.5mg/mL nicotine (6mg (total available nic) ÷ 4mL = 1.5mg/mL)

Does that make sense?:)
Yes that answers my question and makes sense. Thanks to both of you. I was just concerned if there was some odd hidden factor I might not have been aware of.
Lots of good info here on the site. thanks again and the mix vapes and tastes great

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Glad you like your mix, and yes, when mixing/diluting, it's some simple math, meaning even I can do it.... You know, I never had much use for math other than balancing my checkbook, now vaping is filled with math! I can no longer say, "Math is useless," well, it was technically incorrect even when I *was* saying it.

The people in my family are either math idiots or math whizzes.... My mom "tutored me" (it was a non-voluntary situation, LOL) in order to get my math SAT scores up, and at one point we had *this* conversation.
"Look, Anna, you got this problem wrong, let's figure out what you did!"
"Um... it's just ONE math problem, right? Who cares. I'm sure there will be plenty of other math problems in my future, that I'll get right, why do we have to bother with this one, it's only ONE?"
"Much incredulity at the idea that one wouldn't want to find out the answer to EVERY math problem in the world."

My husband acted the same way when my mom told him that story. They bonded, LOL. :)

Anna

tosarge

Jul 30, 2017
Glad you like your mix, and yes, when mixing/diluting, it's some simple math, meaning even I can do it.... You know, I never had much use for math other than balancing my checkbook, now vaping is filled with math! I can no longer say, "Math is useless," well, it was technically incorrect even when I *was* saying it.

The people in my family are either math idiots or math whizzes.... My mom "tutored me" (it was a non-voluntary situation, LOL) in order to get my math SAT scores up, and at one point we had *this* conversation.
"Look, Anna, you got this problem wrong, let's figure out what you did!"
"Um... it's just ONE math problem, right? Who cares. I'm sure there will be plenty of other math problems in my future, that I'll get right, why do we have to bother with this one, it's only ONE?"
"Much incredulity at the idea that one wouldn't want to find out the answer to EVERY math problem in the world."

My husband acted the same way when my mom told him that story. They bonded, LOL. :)

Anna
Well it sometimes it's the simple math that throws me off , I figure it must be a trick if I get it too easily :)

tosarge

Jul 30, 2017
I do have another mixing question regarding nicotine and how it absorbs into a mix. As a example I have 30 ML of a flavor it's high PG 80pg / 20 vg (which may or may not matter) it is a 6mg nicotine content. It's been shaken well and stored cool/dry. How well does nicotine absorb into a flavor , can you assume is fully dispersed through out 30ML. Does it separate easily and require constant shaking or can you rely on it to maintain that % content over a fairly long time and stay bonded once initially mixed. hope I worded that correctly

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I do have another mixing question regarding nicotine and how it absorbs into a mix. As a example I have 30 ML of a flavor it's high PG 80pg / 20 vg (which may or may not matter) it is a 6mg nicotine content. It's been shaken well and stored cool/dry.
Whenever I have e-liquid chemistry questions, my personal starting place, begins with ECF participant @Kurt. He is a professor of chemistry for a university in Pennsylvania; and is academically active (and published) relating to vaping chemistry.

Kurt is not the only participant with higher education in chemistry (I think(?) @Hoosier is another), and I do not mean to dismiss anyone else; it is only my own ignorance that prevents me from naming others.

My own chemistry education ended with squeaking by (by the skin of my teeth) high school chemistry, in the 70's, so I am NO authority whatsoever.
How well does nicotine absorb into a flavor , can you assume is fully dispersed through out 30ML.
I personally would choose the word "mix" in place of "flavor" in that sentence; but that is my picky semantics.;):D

Kurt said this about nicotine solubility:
Nic solubility
It is not a "perfect" application, to your question, as he was addressing high VG mixes instead of high PG mixes like yours. But, because PG is less viscous than VG, I think this would only accelerate the process.
Does it separate easily and require constant shaking or can you rely on it to maintain that % content over a fairly long time and stay bonded once initially mixed.
Again, Kurt had this to say:
I refuse to believe ECBlend's nic mg claims
(especially the last full paragraph)
and:

Now, with all that said, I am like @stols001, in that I too shake my nicotine concentrates, flavor concentrates, and finished e-liquids, before each use. Is it necessary? Probably not. Though some flavor concentrates DO have potential to separate and DO benefit from shaking. It cost me nothing, it has little risk (it can accelerate oxidation by introducing additional air into the mix, as well as the accelerated loss of desired volatile compounds that contribute to taste; though how fast and how much is unknown), and it makes me feel better. So; why not? It's my juice and I can do what I want!:D

Reactions: stols001

tosarge

Jul 30, 2017
Whenever I have e-liquid chemistry questions, my personal starting place, begins with ECF participant @Kurt. He is a professor of chemistry for a university in Pennsylvania; and is academically active (and published) relating to vaping chemistry.

Kurt is not the only participant with higher education in chemistry (I think(?) @Hoosier is another), and I do not mean to dismiss anyone else; it is only my own ignorance that prevents me from naming others.

My own chemistry education ended with squeaking by (by the skin of my teeth) high school chemistry, in the 70's, so I am NO authority whatsoever.

I personally would choose the word "mix" in place of "flavor" in that sentence; but that is my picky semantics.;):D

Kurt said this about nicotine solubility:
Nic solubility
It is not a "perfect" application, to your question, as he was addressing high VG mixes instead of high PG mixes like yours. But, because PG is less viscous than VG, I think this would only accelerate the process.

Again, Kurt had this to say:
(especially the last full paragraph)
and:

Now, with all that said, I am like @stols001, in that I too shake my nicotine concentrates, flavor concentrates, and finished e-liquids, before each use. Is it necessary? Probably not. Though some flavor concentrates DO have potential to separate and DO benefit from shaking. It cost me nothing, it has little risk (it can accelerate oxidation by introducing additional air into the mix, as well as the accelerated loss of desired volatile compounds that contribute to taste; though how fast and how much is unknown), and it makes me feel better. So; why not? It's my juice and I can do what I want!:D
Thanks much , the links provided the answers for me. And yes shakin the juice :banana: is good advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread