Mod clones... how do you feel

Discussion in 'APV Discussion' started by framehacker, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. framehacker

framehacker Full Member

Im looking into some mech mod clones. I was wondering if there are certain manufacturers that are good or wich ones to stay away from. I like the UVO aqua and orgin mod clone, and the same from tobeco. And the maraxus. I guess im too cheap to buy the real thing. But dont want to get stuck with crap lol

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

2. retired1

retired1 Curmudgeon Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved to APV Discussion.

3. Mitey F

Mitey F Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This is going to go south fast... IB4TL

4. Royaldrunker

Royaldrunker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yes and it wont be the last clone thread..
    You tube has great reviews.. I prefer hcigar..

Cheers

5. framehacker

framehacker Full Member

Ive seen lots of reviews for the hcigar clones, so I guess there made pretty good ?

Wake-N-Vape

6. muzichead

muzichead Resident Knucklehead Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I have the Tobeco Origin and Aqua combo and really like them. I have noticed from a few posts that the threading seems to blend exceptionally better on the Tobeco version Origins. The Ehpro's, Hcigar's, & FT versions you can see the seams very distinctly.

20140115_145232.jpg 20140125_083855.jpg

7. StevenServo

StevenServo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The orgin mod clone is very very decent

8. Peppie

Peppie Super Member ECF Veteran

I think the clones have their place. I have bought many of them, only because I want to see if this certain device works to fit my needs. If it does I sell it for half the price and buy the real deal. If it dont I sell it for half price anyway. I have found that EHPRO and Hcigar produce acceptable products for the price. Tebaco.. not so much.

9. VaPreis

VaPreis Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I have a FT Origin clone. Couldn't say if it was a Tobeco or not because it came in a complimentary fake UVO box.

The look of it is nice. The threads are so-so. The switch is jenky. The spring sucks and it was missing the bottom battery contact. It hits harder than some of my other clones though. You can't flush mount the switch with button tops and I had to sand down the delrin insulator on the switch in order for it to flush mount with flat tops.

I just received the $20 Aqua clone from FT which is the one that comes with the correct red o-rings and the hybrid pin. Quality on it seems very nice. I'll be building it this evening. It threads perfectly on the FT Origin in hybrid mode and the finishes are a spot-on match.

10. Dj Xy

Dj Xy I'm winning like Charlie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sometimes clones leave off certain things that are necessary, an example is the EHpro GGTS clone, they left the oring off the air flow control thus making it non functional unless you find the proper size oring to fit it, also the 510 extension is fixed so so some devices will not sit flush with the top.
    On the other hand the Kay fun clone from EHpro is identical.
    So do your research as to which clones are good and which have issues.
    here are some makes of clones that I have experience with and my opinions.
    Rainbow Heaven- great clones even to the point of parts being interchangeable with the real thing
    Tobeco- hit or miss, the seem to have improved, but most will remember them for the debacle they made with the Oddy clone (or Oddity as it has been called)
    Sigelei- Eh what can I say they seem to think an ego connection should be on most mods

I have other clones but dont know who made them (one is a Kayfun which in a attempt to make a replica they even copied the "designed in Russia Made in Germany" and logo on the bottom, then stuck it in a black box labeled "Made in China")

11. crxess

crxess ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nemesis - Fasttech - manufacturer unrevealed - Good solid mod
    " " - HCigar - also good solid mod
    8W Sigelei - not technically a clone - 18350/18650 rock solid - Caravela'ish
    Toppers, Russian and Kayfun clones - Rocket Tank works as well, but not as professional looking or solid construction.
    Rainbow heaven Ithaka - excellent reproduction of the original - No artwork

Ithaka can now be upgraded to function like Kayfun/Russian.

12. MikeJA

MikeJA Super Member ECF Veteran

I just take issue with the word "clone". They are not clones, they are blatent rip-offs. Just call them what they are: counterfeits.

13. stevegmu

stevegmu ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Here, here. Knockoffs, counterfeits, fugazzi... Maybe clones just makes people feel better about not buying the genuine item...

14. StarsAndBars

StarsAndBars Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I am pro-clone, rip-off, counter-whatever. No reason to pay $200 for a metal tube with threads and contacts. Any deficiencies can typically be resolved with 13 cents worth of o-rings or a 34 cent spring.

$120 for an RDA that cost $4 to make? You kidding me?

15. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Damn straight it makes me feel better not to fight for a raffle ticket to win a chance to wait 6 months to PAY $200 for a metal tube!

Does it make you feel better to support crappy customer service, insanely high prices, and a poor business model?
    Spending obscene amount of money make you feel like yer better than someone who didn't?

Differences do not justify the price gap between clones and originals.

However the days of the $200+ mech are numbered.
    Clones are good, and folks are getting smarter.

16. framehacker

framehacker Full Member

Yep!!!

Wake-N-Vape

17. crxess

crxess ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

I Purchase Battery Tubes. Some are Replicas of Designer mods, Some have nothing in common with originals.......oh wait, they are Tubes.
    Counterfeit implies intentionally duplicated in order to Defraud a Purchaser. To get the highest possible price for a fraudulent piece through deception.
    Have Yet to see this practiced in China Replication.

Feel better - well yes. I feel better about not wasting family income to splurge on an Item I could well do without and yet enjoy a functional copy at a much reduced cost.
    An Item i can toss in a drawer or a tool box and not worry about rather than Sit on a night stand and worship between bouts of rubbing my purchase in the face of others.

If we all listened to Purest we would have likely never gotten past the Stone Wheel.

18. VaPreis

VaPreis Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'm comfortable with whichever makes you feel the best!

19. cantstopwontstop

cantstopwontstop Senior Member ECF Veteran

I couldn't agree more with the posts made by my pro-clone friends! There is no way I'd pay 150+ dollars for something that is only 5% better than the 45 dollar version. I get sick of people who can afford it look down on those of us that can't. I would gladly buy an original that was fairly priced, I'd even save up to buy it for a reasonable price (70-80$) to support a manufacturer geared toward us working class folks. The bottom line is that the original manufacturers aren't losing my business to Hcigar and tobeco, because I was never going to buy the original any ways!

20. Heavyrocker

Heavyrocker Vaping Master ECF Veteran

The orginals costs 5 bucks too manufacture and sell for 200 bucks,the clones costs 2 bucks to manfacture and cost 20 bucks,you choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.