Status
Not open for further replies.

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
The plastic collar is wide enough to fit over the base of the spring and should not hinder its movement. Should the spring collapse into the collar the only connection to the batt would be plastic, so no worries? Correct me if I'm wrong lol

I also just realized that with regards to the Grand, my batts fit so tightly that there's nowhere for the spring to collapse if it wanted to, and we still use it :p

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
The plastic collar is wide enough to fit over the base of the spring and should not hinder its movement. Should the spring collapse into the collar the only connection to the batt would be plastic, so no worries? Correct me if I'm wrong lol

I also just realized that with regards to the Grand, my batts fit so tightly that there's nowhere for the spring to collapse if it wanted to, and we still use it :p

Hmmm...I don't know. <shrug>

MatrixTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Playing around with some material...

matrixtech-albums-my-mods-picture30764-reominivinyl1.jpg

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
I got one for the Mini, I didn't like how the battery would get pushed down by the firing pin, I like the snug fit and solid feel of my Grand. I made a spacer by cutting the end off a plastic pen, like so:

Works great.
This is a bad idea my friend the spring is like that for a reason.If you have a short the battery has no place to drop and sever the connection. I noticed your using a flat top battery.I don't recommend flat top batteries for the mod.You wouldn't have to push the button so hard if you had a button top bat I recommend The aw imr 14500 for the mini and the aw imr 18650 for the grand. They both have a button top and are safe chemistry batteries .

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
Ah ok thanks Rob - what about the Grand though? The spring is compressed all the way and there's nowhere for the batt to move(Ultrafire protected 18650), so I figured no harm in making the mini the same. But of course I defer to your knowledge!

The flat top BDL IMR batt is only temporary, AW IMR are on the way for mini and grand just didn't receive them yet :)

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Ah ok thanks Rob - what about the Grand though? The spring is compressed all the way and there's nowhere for the batt to move(Ultrafire protected 18650), so I figured no harm in making the mini the same. But of course I defer to your knowledge!

The flat top BDL IMR batt is only temporary, AW IMR are on the way for mini and grand just didn't receive them yet :)
You are right the grand is tight there is some room for the spring to collapse. I can see why you would think it was ok .I am really pushing the aw imr for that reason not only is it a safer battery but there is more room for the spring to collapse witch makes it safer.I just want the best for everyone :)

Illustrated_Man

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Rochester, NY
Well, just like I always do, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I threw my Grand on the drill press, drilled the button, tapped it for a 4-40 machine screw, turned the hex portion off of a 1/4x20 brass cap nut to make a button, then filed the button down a bit, and then epoxied the new button onto the 1/4x20 screw head. Here's the end result:

SsTjr.jpg

I don't think it turned out too badly...any comments/criticism?

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Well, just like I always do, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I threw my Grand on the drill press, drilled the button, tapped it for a 4-40 machine screw, turned the hex portion off of a 1/4x20 brass cap nut to make a button, then filed the button down a bit, and then epoxied the new button onto the 1/4x20 screw head. Here's the end result:

SsTjr.jpg

I don't think it turned out too badly...any comments/criticism?

Nicely done! Nice touch. :)

Emris

Time Lord
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks, How are you doing? Nothing lasting I hope.

When you have the time can you elaberate just a little like does it go from top of bottle up as fas as possible and how snugly fitted in is it. Thanks

Get well and don't push things, Alice

Here you go, a pic will show you!
DSC00973.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread