Modern Variable Voltage Mods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
Hi,

In the past I have only ever used Innokin mods, that have both VW & VV mode. Lately I've picked up an eleaf iPower & joyetech eVic VTwo Mini & was surprised to learn that neither of these mods have variable voltage mode.

When I got my first regulated mod, I had a Subtank. The coils were being read at erratic resistances, and setting to VV rather than VW helped to avoid power spikes when the resistance would jump. For example, in wattage mode... initially the coils were being read at 0.5ohms. I set the power to 30W (3.87V). Every now and then (maybe 1/10 puffs), the resistance would jump up to around 2.0ohms. At 30W, this would cause the voltage to jump to around 7.75V, and I'd instantly burn the coil. If I switched from VW to VV mode, I'd set the voltage to around 3.8V, and if the coil resistance ever did jump again - the wattage would be decreased (instead of the voltage being increased). I haven't had any of the same issues with any other attys since, but I do still vape by setting the voltage not the wattage.

Just wondering if anyone can let me know of any other manufacturers (Innokin and who else) that still make variable voltage mods? It seems that VV is becoming a thing of the past, maybe it's time I made the switch.

Thanks a lot for any help

Last edited:
Reactions: Katdarling

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Jumping resistance is nearly always a sign of a bad connection somewhere. On a subtank, could be the RBA head was loose, or one of the binding screws was.

And yes, most all new mods are VW only. But on many you can lock the power setting, which should eliminate the nasty draws.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Hi,

In the past I have only ever used Innokin mods, that have both VW & VV mode. Lately I've picked up an eLeaf iPower & Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini & was surprised to learn that neither of these mods have variable voltage mode.

When I got my first regulated mod, I had a Subtank. The coils were being read at erratic resistances, and setting to VV rather than VW helped to avoid power spikes when the resistance would jump. For example, in wattage mode... initially the coils were being read at 0.5ohms. I set the power to 30W (3.87V). Every now and then (maybe 1/10 puffs), the resistance would jump up to around 2.0ohms. At 30W, this would cause the voltage to jump to around 7.75V, and I'd instantly burn the coil. If I switched from VW to VV mode, I'd set the voltage to around 3.8V, and if the coil resistance ever did jump again - the wattage would be decreased (instead of the voltage being increased). I haven't had any of the same issues with any other attys since, but I do still vape by setting the voltage not the wattage.

Just wondering if anyone can let me know of any other manufacturers (Innokin and who else) that still make variable voltage mods? It seems that VV is becoming a thing of the past, maybe it's time I made the switch.

Thanks a lot for any help

While they're still available (which may not be for very much longer), , ,

1st Gen Rev 3A Billet Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread