Mods for beginners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Good afternoon folks.

I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for an inexpensive, reliable mod kit?
I've been vaping for 2 years now using a typical starter kit and coils but feel i need something a bit different, i know nothing regarding mods and sure, it's easy reading an article about them but would rather much hear peoples real opinions/recommendations on specific mod kits.

I'm looking for something simple, something where i only need to change the coil. I'm not really interested in clouds, just the throat hit, i need to feel the clouds go down :) And something that works well with 50/50 e-liquid 1.8mg nic. Something with a decent battery that will get a heavy vaper through the day. Coils that are reasonable in price and easy to replace. Something under £25 preferably and can be found on eBay preferably as i've got a voucher i can use there.

Sorry for expecting it to be cheap, i'm expecting twins very soon so all the pennies are being saved.
Thanks in advance and apologies if this is the wrong area i posted in.
Adam

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Lots of choices out there, but it's hard to come up with a solid mod/tank kit under that price without it being an AIO starter kit. What exactly are you using now? It will help in figuring out if something inexpensive will be better than what you have.

Hi Eskie. Thanks for responding.

I don't mind starting with a starter kit, i'd much prefer one tbh. Simpler the better.
I currently use a 510 thread ego II battery 2200mah with a kangertech mini protank 3 with 1.8ohm single or dual coils depending on how i feel. Pretty standard tech i believe, typically purchased from amazon or eBay. I buy my e-liquids from onepoundeliquids, i like their eliquids and their prices are fantastic.
Thanks
Adam

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
That's not a terrible starter, but there are some newer generation things that could perform better. I'm in the US, so please excuse if something isn't in your price range with currency differences and VAT, but something like an iJust or Pocket X would work. If you want more cloud maybe a Smok V8 Stick,which comes with a Big Baby that's good for clouds. Take a look at those and pop over with your thoughts and any other recommendations.

Reactions: Foggy Road

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Can't help much with EBay. but here are some great deals.
Pretty sure they ship to EU.

If you don't mind the added cost of a seperate battery this is a great deal. Excellent tank and coils! Coils come only in .5 or 1 ohm tho.

joyetech evic vtc mini 60w full kit with temperature control

If you prefer built in batteries this is a good one. Same tank again.

joyetech ego one mega kit

Want a rudimentary form of Temp Control? ONLY works with Ti Or Ni Coils. Same tank again.

joyetech ego one vt full kit

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
That's not a terrible starter, but there are some newer generation things that could perform better. I'm in the US, so please excuse if something isn't in your price range with currency differences and VAT, but something like an iJust or Pocket X would work. If you want more cloud maybe a Smok V8 Stick,which comes with a Big Baby that's good for clouds. Take a look at those and pop over with your thoughts and any other recommendations.

Just had a look at the ijust and pocket x, i like the look of them, very similar shape and size to the one i have and under £25 which is a plus. I might go pick one of them. Do you know what coils they use? also if there are other variations of the same coil which one would be best for throat hit?

Thanks again.
Adam

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom

If you don't mind the added cost of a seperate battery this is a great deal. Excellent tank and coils! Coils come only in .5 or 1 ohm tho.

Want a rudimentary form of Temp Control? ONLY works with Ti Or Ni Coils. Same tank again.

Hi foggy, thanks for responding.

Those are pretty inexpensive, also like the look of them both. Not at all about the battery, i'd much prefer to buy my own battery and nice to see its removable should it need replacing. Ah so many options! :)

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Pocket X replacement coils (this is a US vendor and just from a Google search so see what you can find over there) Aspire PockeX Replacement Coils

Same rules for the iJust Eleaf iSmoka iJust 2 EC Replacement Coil

Just do your searches for replacement coils instead of the tank.

Okay, thank you for the info. Those coils are considerably more expensive than the ones i usually buy. Do they last longer than your standard kangertech dual coil? Or are they easier too clean and replace the cotton wicks?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Okay, thank you for the info. Those coils are considerably more expensive than the ones i usually buy. Do they last longer than your standard kangertech dual coil? Or are they easier too clean and replace the cotton wicks?

Got me. I don't use either. Coil lifespan is determined by how and what you vape. Commercial juices with lots of sweetener will gunk up faster. I'm sure you can't change the cotton out for rewicking with the Baby Beast or Poxket X coils. The iJust I don't know.

Reactions: Adamwoods

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Or are they easier too clean and replace the cotton wicks?

Ah! you had used the word simplicity in your original post so I assumed you weren't into rebuilding or rewicking.

These replacement coils will work for the Evic or eGo ONE VT linked earlier. Designed to be easily rewicked or rebuilt. If rebuilding you can use any wire type you want.

5pc joyetech ego one clr-ti vt atomizer head

Reactions: Eskie

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Got me. I don't use either. Coil lifespan is determined by how and what you vape. Commercial juices with lots of sweetener will gunk up faster. I'm sure you can't change the cotton out for rewicking with the Baby Beast or Poxket X coils. The iJust I don't know.

iSee what you done there :) I'll go do my research to see what i can find. Thanks very much for the help today, much appreciated!

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Ah! you had used the word simplicity in your original post so I assumed you weren't into rebuilding or rewicking.

These replacement coils will work for the Evic or eGo ONE VT linked earlier. Designed to be easily rewicked or rebuilt. If rebuilding you can use any wire type you want.

5pc joyetech ego one clr-ti vt atomizer head

Simplicity is best but if it saves me money i will happily rewick where possible. I have tried it a couple of times with the kangertech coils but they're usually in to bad condition to even bother rewicking, meaning the cotton fuses with the coil. I didn't think that made me an expert though, pretty simple process if you ask me. And by simple i mean using my fingers to break the coil apart, using tweezers and a needle to thread the cotton :)

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Simplicity is best but if it saves me money i will happily rewick where possible. I have tried it a couple of times with the kangertech coils but they're usually in to bad condition to even bother rewicking, meaning the cotton fuses with the coil. I didn't think that made me an expert though, pretty simple process if you ask me. And by simple i mean using my fingers to break the coil apart, using tweezers and a needle to thread the cotton :)
Yeah I started by rewicking rebuilding the Kanger coils. The CLR coils are very similar just actually designed to be easily rewicked.

If interested you can learn all about the coils and tanks that accept them here. I love 'em!

eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah I started by rewicking rebuilding the Kanger coils. The CLR coils are very similar just actually designed to be easily rewicked.

If interested you can learn all about the coils and tanks that accept them here. I love 'em!

eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

I like the sound of that, the kanger coils are a bit of a pain without the right tools at your disposal, well if there are specific tools that is. But would finally like to try something new, i've been using these kanger coils for 2 years now so would be nice to try something different/better.
Thanks for your time today Foggy, much appreciated!
Adam

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi @Adamwoods

No.1 You are 100% spot on not to trust reviews. Most of the e-cigarette review industry is into fake recommendations designed to siphon your money into their pockets.

No.2 There is a lot of junk out there just waiting to be bought.

No.3 What kind of vaping do you imagine you want to be doing? The best value (and decent) set-up depends on things like battery life, power (watts), type of inhale (mouth to lung/traditional or direct to lung/sub-ohm).

If you go all sub-ohm, you probably won't want to vape 18mg. (1.8% is known in the UK by most people as 18mg b.t.w.)

£25 won't get you very far I'm afraid, but look at it this way.
Cheap kits (£8-20) are not reliable and don't work that great. The battery life is dreadful even for a light vapers.
£25 gets you into Joyetech AIO territory - as much as I like that little tube e-cig, the long-term prospects are not that great.

The Joyetech CLR is easy enough to re-wick, but how are you going to find them in the UK? You're not...mine come from China.

Today, I actually ordered a new Eleaf tank and coils from China. About £9 for both the tank and the 5 coils. You shouldn't be able to buy these now in the UK, and if shops are selling them you'd be looking at £20-30 anyway just for a basic £4 tank. (£4 is what the shops pay).

Anyway... ask away. If you buy on the strength of a review from most e-cigarette 'independent review' websites, you will get the wrong advice.

Adamwoods

Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Hi djsvapour, thanks for posting.

Yeah i much rather hear peoples first hand opinions than seeing a rating system, doesn't give you much info.

I only want the best value for now as i have twins on the way, need to save that cash but it's a stressful time and my current vape isn't doing it for me. I do plan to go onto better things when i'm financially able but just looking for something better than i currently have, just for a few months at least. My bad on the nicotine mix up, i meant to say 18mg.

As for ohm and sub ohm, i have not read up on any of that yet. i was hoping for a plug and play just now, something that gives a good throat hit, thick vapour, something i can feel going down as that's the only sensation keeping me from cigs and the nicotine of course. Battery life i can sacrifice for now should it save me some money.
I was tempted to buy the coils i currently use in bulk from china but hesitant if i want to vape using those coils for a good few years. The names DHgate.com, not sure if their any good either, another reason to be hesitant buying from a new website. Though if you have any good websites you can lead me to, i'll happily take a look it them if its no bother to you.
Thanks again.
Adam

Reactions: djsvapour

Jeff M.

May 7, 2015

This!

I have both the VTC Mini and EGO One VT as well as a bunch of the CLR coils for them. I use a variety of other devices and tanks throughout the day but I always keep those handy. In fact, the VT just about lives in my pocket. The Mega tanks those kits come with are very versatile and produce good flavor. They don't have quite the airflow for blowing huge clouds, but are great for MTL or restricted lung hits. The CLR coils are easy to rebuild with fresh wire & wick and it's way cheaper than buying new coils all the time. I rebuild them in batches once a month or so, so I have fresh ones handy when I need them. To the US it takes Health Cabin about 4 weeks from order to arrival, but at those prices, it's worth the wait IMHO. If you want to play with temp control, I'd recommend getting the VTC Mini, upgrading the firmware to ArcticFox, and grabbing some stainless steel wire. Makes for a fantastic setup for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread