Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Rep. Hunter's new proposed regulations would seem to take mech mods off the market. Specifically they call for a mechanism to protect the user and battery in case of a short circuit. This got me thinking, what kinds of designs could manufacturers come up with to accommodate a fuse into a mech?

I know we've had the 2c fuse, and I've seen some people mod a fuse into their mech, but what about a mod designed to take a replaceable 25A fuse like
timthumb.php
or
upload_2017-4-22_16-25-39.jpeg
?

Would that even work? Would a 25A fuse allow you to vape up to 20A without issue but still trip if there was a short?

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Yup. The Tugboat V2 did exactly that...

And, there were a lot of VapeSafe fuses used in tube mods, but they were only good up to, I think, 10 Amps.

'Course, stupid people are gonna be stupid no matter... as soon as man creates a foolproof something or other, Mother Nature will send forth a better fool.

I can already see these fused mods with pennies shoved into the slots to vape lower...
63fdcc44d10dfe50f110e128324f112e.jpg
a6f8bcbf8d16ad2153bbe19638a08e51.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Would that even work? Would a 25A fuse allow you to vape up to 20A without issue but still trip if there was a short?

I'm not sure why is shouldn't work?

Perhaps for Aesthetics and to keep the Size of the Mod reasonable, A Smaller, Replaceable Fuse would need to be Design? Perhaps a 18mm disc like the 2c Fuse?

But there are some Pretty Small Tube Type Fuses out there. Like what is in the Plug of a Christmas Lights strand.

Reactions: Lessifer

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
GUS mods uses a 12amp ( higher ones too) mini fuse as their 510 contact. It is what sits between your atties 510 to the brass adj pole that then makes contact to your battery.

GP/ PAPs has a little collapsable spring inside their "GPIN"

In photo the fused contact are on are in mid left photo and on top of the photo on right.
GP spring protected ones are on lower right photo and on the lower left side of photo on right.

The Silver one in both photos are typical adj contacts on mechs.

these photos were part of an article I was working on that never get off the ground

mech tops-003.jpg
mech tops-002.jpg

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Hot Springs, kiicks, protected batts are already on the market, few people use them..
True, but from what I recall they tended to have low A restrictions.

This post stemmed from the new proposal that would seem to cut mechs out of the market, unless they had some built in protection.

I wasn't aware of some of these mods that already had fuses as part of their design. I was thinking a box mech lends itself well to a plug in fuse.

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
True, but from what I recall they tended to have low A restrictions.

This post stemmed from the new proposal that would seem to cut mechs out of the market, unless they had some built in protection.

I wasn't aware of some of these mods that already had fuses as part of their design. I was thinking a box mech lends itself well to a plug in fuse.

I think the idea of the fuse worked into the design of the 510 connection is not a bad idea, especially in a box mech. Now it doesnt have to be so primitive as in the GUS. I do like it, but with some atties, since it it not perfectly flat, it has some problems making a really strong bond. There is also a bit of voltage loss because electricity has to travel through the adjustable part through the ceramic and whatever stuff is inside to the metal, which I assume is nickel or sterling. Those mini fuses are the type used on computer circuit boards.

The use of a simple collapsing spring on the switch is primitive but a good safely feature. But really the problem is that the less parts to travel through the less voltage drop which was a huge issue at the height of the mech madness. MOst important is design , the insulators are a huge part of safety. Most of the mechs that are sold as high power, no voltage drop tend to miss out on insulator design. Its all about not letting the battery touch metal and getting the most direct path to fire the atty.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.

It would be kinda sad if mechs were "outlaw'd" A good mech is my favorite experience. I does mean one has to be more aware of what you are doing and limits, not that you cant enjoy power vaping mech, but the limitation is dependent on the quality and specs of your battery and time a battery will allow that sweet spot for you.

I love my mechs, love that I can take it apart and clean and it performs like day one. I do have some regulated devices and for out and about its like an automatic car when traffic is bad or lots of stop and go, city driving. For when you want to drive, really drive and feel the power and subtle changes and knowing that YOU are really in control, you want that manual shift.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Future,,,,,All mechs are fused to 10 amps.

In time, People are NO longer Ohm Law savvy.

People start to 'Mod' the fusing. Bad things start to happen.

Rantings from a deranged mind..
10 amps would be a little silly, but there's only one battery that's reliable above 22 amps right?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I wasn't really trying to debate the necessity of this restriction. I'm a mech user, I don't need a fuse. Was really just trying to explore possibilities of working within the restriction for development of new devices.

If it comes down to a choice between the deeming regs and hunter's better but still flawed proposal, I'm going to support Hunter.

I remember the fuses from when I first started using mechs and they had ridiculous limitations, but this is an industry of innovation, so could there be a fuse system that would satisfy the majority, if not all, mech users?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I wasn't really trying to debate the necessity of this restriction. I'm a mech user, I don't need a fuse. Was really just trying to explore possibilities of working within the restriction for development of new devices.

If it comes down to a choice between the deeming regs and hunter's better but still flawed proposal, I'm going to support Hunter.

I remember the fuses from when I first started using mechs and they had ridiculous limitations, but this is an industry of innovation, so could there be a fuse system that would satisfy the majority, if not all, mech users?

It has no legs.

It's a proposed unenforceable restriction, only put forth for political reasons by a politician who wants some attention.
He knows the futility of this excercise.
Its only meant to grab a headline and elicit emotional responses.
Cheap theatre at best.

I do not believe he has a clue about how to use them safely, as nothing he has said or written shows otherwise.

But it is kinda funny watching him dance for his supper.

Did his proposal Happen to list/request a budget for enforcement?

;)

Reactions: Verb

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
It has no legs.

It's a proposed unenforceable restriction, only put forth for political reasons by a politician who wants some attention.
He knows the futility of this excercise.
Its only meant to grab a headline and elicit emotional responses.
Cheap theatre at best.

I do not believe he has a clue about how to use them safely, as nothing he has said or written shows otherwise.

But it is kinda funny watching him dance for his supper.

Did his proposal Happen to list/request a budget for enforcement?

;)
He's proposing this as a replacement for the FDA deeming, taking vapor products out of the TCA and providing a new classification that is much less restrictive. I truly believe he has good intentions, even if some of the provisions aren't necessarily what we want. It would be as enforceable as the deeming regs, I suppose.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Quick Question:

Do "Hot Springs" work?

Serious Question. I have Never used a Mod that has one.
My REO has one but I've never tripped it. I've seen posts from others who have had it collapse when they had a short. I think the difficulty is in finding one that would satisfy all mech users. I don't know what amp draw it has to reach before it collapses. I think I've successfully run mine up to 16A. It does increase voltage drop.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
My REO has one but I've never tripped it. I've seen posts from others who have had it collapse when they had a short. I think the difficulty is in finding one that would satisfy all mech users. I don't know what amp draw it has to reach before it collapses. I think I've successfully run mine up to 16A. It does increase voltage drop.

Gotcha.

Like I said, I have never had a Mod that Used one. Or know if they are Still Used.

But that would be a form of Short Circuit Protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread