More Carcinogens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
[h=1]Study: E-Cigarettes May Contain More Carcinogens Than Cigarettes
Ok...So I read the article and listened to the interview. (HERE IS THE LINK) [/h]My first red flag was that I can't find it being reported on any "credible" news source.
My second red flag was that the title of the article inflates and distorts a minimal part of the study. Yeah...So out of 10 JAPANESE manufacturers 1 of them was found to have dangerous levels of toxins. Only 1 out of the 10.
My third red flag was the the interview was edited and it sounded like the questions I heard were written after the interview.
And my fourth red flag was that the guy being interviewed still referred to e-cigs as a "possibly safe way to quit combusted cigarette smoking". I didn't see that in the headline.
So...my opinion...This is more hype and propaganda by BT and the FDA so they can "regulate" e-cigs so they can cash in on it labeling it as a "tobacco product" even though there is no tobacco in it. These kind of "news" stories are beginning to infuriate me. Anyone else feel this way? :glare:

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
This news has been discussed numerous times already. The full paper has not been published, and as usual, the researchers released a preview to the press who misconstrued just about everything.

As you said, the fact is 1 out of 10 Japanese eliquids contained more formaldehyde than did tobacco. We don't know what liquids, what battery was used, what voltage was used, etc.. And as you said, the researcher himself said that e-cigs overall pose a lower risk than tobacco.

My take away from this story (and other recent studies that examined vapor) is that e-cigs are not 100% safe. Breathing clean air is better. There's no doubt about this. Using high voltages isn't as safe as lower voltages. It appears, at least from one study, that VG might be safer than PG.

However, the media doesn't read these papers -- they only pick and choose certain anomalies from these studies and then make a headline out of it. If you asked the researchers themselves whether they would rather have a family member continue smoking or use an e-cig, I guarantee you all of them would say e-cigs.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
AFP.com

Your link did not work for me. I was going to post about this story too. Was this the same article? I would like to see some accurate data on this, with SPECIFICS.

One sample of ejuice they tested had 10 times the formaldehyde when compared to combustible cigs. Most of the samples had much less than analog smoke.

Dr. Farsilinos explains it all.

P.S. The first paragraph of the news story you linked is complete and total BS. The study found no such thing. It found ONE sample with more formaldehyde than normal cigs. ONE SAMPLE. Any freshmen in college knows that one sample is not good enough to draw any conclusions.

Last edited:

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
Sorry the link didn't work. It was a "news" article from some radio station in the U.S. that I never heard of. And it didn't show any of the data...just their "spin" on the research. Like the others said (and was kinda what cheesed me off about the whole thing) was that they pulled a few tidbits of information off the article and made this big bogus story about how dangerous e-cigs are. I'm tired of the media doing this stuff. That's also part of the reason I joined the CASAA. And I shared it to help inform my fellow vapers about what the media is trying to do under the influence of Big Tobacco and the FDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread