FDA More news stories expose that FDA's proposed regulation would ban >99% of nicotine vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
vaping shops say FDA regulation could put them out of business

“Conley said an FDA crackdown could eliminate as many as 99% of the small businesses in the vaping industry.”

Vaping shops say FDA regulation could put them out of business - LA Times

Vaping shops say FDA regulation could put them out of business - Chicago Tribune

FDA Regulation of E-Cigarettes Would Only Help Big Tobacco, Say vaping Startups

FDA Regulation Of E-Cigarettes Would Only Help Big Tobacco, Say Vaping Startups – Consumerist

Vape advocates hope to educate owners pending FDA regulations (PA)

Vape advocates hope to educate owners on pending FDA regulations - York Dispatch

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
"... the new regulations proposed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration would eliminate 99 percent of the thousands of vape shops that have popped up around the country.

That includes the dozens that have popped up in the York County area over the years.

"We are talking a large number of small and medium businesses," he said. "It might be cliche, but it's their American dream.""

He's right, it is a cliché, but it's also true. And part of the intended target of those who push regulation in all industries. It's why we end up with huge corporations that are 'too big to fail', while snuffing out the middle class by taking away the biggest source of their jobs - small and medium businesses.

For politicians who want to 'help the middle class'? Stop taking away their jobs through regulating their employers. And for those who have already lost jobs - stop blaming your employers and attack the real source - those who forced your employer into a choice to either cut jobs, or go out of business.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Many of the comments on the LA Times article are stunningly ignorant and much of the rhetoric is venomously hostile. For example: "Great news! The faster we can get all tobacco and nicotine products off the market, the better for everyone. It's toxic, deadly, and more addictive than morphine. The tobacco lobby has kept one generation after another addicted, it's caused widespread epidemics of cancer and heart disease, and now it's time to bring this poison to an end. The sooner it's labeled as a poison, the better. Shut them down!!!!" Quite a few seem convinced that the slightest whiff of exhaled vapor will ruin their health.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Many of the comments on the LA Times article are stunningly ignorant and much of the rhetoric is venomously hostile. For example: "Great news! The faster we can get all tobacco and nicotine products off the market, the better for everyone. It's toxic, deadly, and more addictive than morphine. The tobacco lobby has kept one generation after another addicted, it's caused widespread epidemics of cancer and heart disease, and now it's time to bring this poison to an end. The sooner it's labeled as a poison, the better. Shut them down!!!!" Quite a few seem convinced that the slightest whiff of exhaled vapor will ruin their health.
I went back to the page to see for myself. One of the worst collection of comments I've ever seen for a vaping article.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California

Sigh.... Remember, this is the LA Times, a very left-leaning newspaper and a favorite of the West LA "nanny" crowd. Frankly, I'm surprised they ran this story, although I can't say it was complete devoid of ANTZ bias.

And yes, I went to the comments too because my blood pressure was running a little low, and needed to be raised. It worked, especially the one you quoted.

I truly do not understand why people still claim that nicotine is as addictive as (being careful with references) m.rphine (or its sister her...n). Somebody, somewhere (maybe here) had posted an article that a former user had written about his experiences coming off of "H", the severe physical and mental pain of withdrawals (some that last a lifetime). I read it, as it was fascinating, and realized there is absolutely no comparison to nicotine. Anybody who makes that comparison should immediately be branded a misinformed idiot, and forwarded that article. If nicotine really was as addictive, we'd have rehab centers filled with former smokers curled up in pain all over the country.

EDIT: Forgot to say: thanks again, Bill, for sharing!

Last edited:

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
He's right, it is a cliché, but it's also true. And part of the intended target of those who push regulation in all industries. It's why we end up with huge corporations that are 'too big to fail', while snuffing out the middle class by taking away the biggest source of their jobs - small and medium businesses.

For politicians who want to 'help the middle class'? Stop taking away their jobs through regulating their employers. And for those who have already lost jobs - stop blaming your employers and attack the real source - those who forced your employer into a choice to either cut jobs, or go out of business.

Although I "liked" your post, had to like it even more and say: Well said!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Many of the comments on the LA Times article are stunningly ignorant and much of the rhetoric is venomously hostile
It's the LA Times.
And those comments are from their readers.

That's all that ever needs to be said about that as far as I'm concerned.

I live in San Diego, and now and then they deliver me an LA Times without my consent.
I save them for lighting my fires on cold winter nights or when doing a bonfire at the beach.

The tripe they churn out burns well.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I truly do not understand why people still claim that nicotine is as addictive as....

Much of that (not all) comes from smokers themselves to "explain" their habit. We now know, to a large extent, that simply isn't the case, but it took vaping to find that out :- )

And I might add, that 'as addictive as ....' isn't necessarily an ANTZ line either - since they seem to think that people should just quit. :facepalm: But those type of activists that are against all drugs, do sometimes, attempt to make that argument where 'since we've banned x, why don't we ban nicotine as well - it's just as bad.' And as it is with those types, no amount of contrary evidence would change their minds - like another group, I won't mention :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It's the LA Times.
And those comments are from their readers.

That's all that ever needs to be said about that as far as I'm concerned.

I live in San Diego, and now and then they deliver me an LA Times without my consent.
I save them for lighting my fires on cold winter nights or when doing a bonfire at the beach.

The tripe they churn out burns well.

Yeah, we used to get the LA Times--when we lived in LA and after we moved to OC. Then we switched to OC Register, before it too took a sharp turn to the left... :facepalm:. @Kent C, you were right when you warned me about them, a long time ago. But my dear husband likes to have a paper newspaper in the morning--for local news and such. It's depressing.

The comments are much worse than the article. Probably coming from the very same people who will vote for legalization of recreational marijuana on the next ballot. Oy...

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Yeah, we used to get the LA Times--when we lived in LA and after we moved to OC. Then we switched to OC Register, before it too took a sharp turn to the left... :facepalm:.
OC Register has been writing favorably about vaping for a long time, correct? Other than that, I don't know much about them. If they really are a leftist newspaper, then that to me is hopeful, in that the only other media on the left I know of, that is a proponent of vaping, is Brad Blog. Many more lefty outlets are needed, though they'll probably never catch up to where the media on the right is in vaping truth. Support from both sides would be ideal, of course.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Mixed.... depends on writer.... Jacob Sullum, Reason Mag, had a positive article a while back...

Search - The Orange County Register

Lots of positive articles. One of the ones in that search I just read was mixed, quoting both sides, but everything I've run accross before has been positive. I'll believe you if you're saying some of the articles have been anti-vaping. I haven't looked at them all.

If anyone knows of any pro-vaping Left media other than Brad Blog, I'd sure like to know. I once saw a postive article on Huffington Post, but all the others I've seen there have been awful.

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
OC Register has been writing favorably about vaping for a long time, correct? Other than that, I don't know much about them. If they really are a leftist newspaper, then that to me is hopeful, in that the only other media on the left I know of, that is a proponent of vaping, is Brad Blog. Many more lefty outlets are needed, though they'll probably never catch up to where the media on the right is in vaping truth. Support from both sides would be ideal, of course.

Oh, no, there's nothing leftist about OC Register. Sorry if I wasn't clear about it. Their editorial page is very libertarian leaning, if anything, often supporting Republican positions and candidates, but not always. They are fairly "liberal" or "libertarian" when it comes to most social issues and some political issues as well--most recently they opposed Prop. 8, which tried to ban same sex marriages in California. The paper also (in the past) famously opposed the internment of Japanese Americans and the Iraq war. Arthur Laffer sits on Register's editorial board, and I always enjoy Krauthammer's and Jonah Goldberg's columns.
wink.gif

The shift to the left has taken place, slowly but surely, on their main pages, which often (not always) feature articles sympathetic to Democratic positions.

On the subject of vaping, the paper is generally true to its libertarian POV--every article I've read to date was either positive or "fair and balanced," that is, presenting both sides of the argument. I've never seen anything outright ANTZy.

Sorry to dash your hopes for support from the left. Ain't happening.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The shift to the left has taken place, slowly but surely, on their main pages, which often (not always) feature articles sympathetic to Democratic positions.

Just the opposite as WSJ. Main articles mainly objective as far as financial news - opinion pages leftist - which either the leftists don't know or don't want to admit. I don't know how many times they have said something along the lines of ".... and this, from the 'right wing' WSJ" speaking of an editorial page piece. :facepalm:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Just the opposite as WSJ. Main articles mainly objective as far as financial news - opinion pages leftist - which either the leftists don't know or don't want to admit. I don't know how many times they have said something along the lines of ".... and this, from the 'right wing' WSJ" speaking of an editorial page piece. :facepalm:

That's funny... I didn't know that. :lol:

Reactions: Kent C
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread