more problems with funky taste coming from newly wicked coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianwert93

May 31, 2014
New Jersey
i'm not sure what else to do besides replace the coils or take one out. i cleaned them both off and im pretty sure i know which one is bad but i want to know if there's anything else i can do to get rid of that ungodly after taste of feet and grossness. :(

i might add that i am new to mods and RDAs.

EDIT: yes I am building with cotton

Last edited:

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
i'm not sure what else to do besides replace the coils or take one out. i cleaned them both off and im pretty sure i know which one is bad but i want to know if there's anything else i can do to get rid of that ungodly after taste of feet and grossness. :(

Are you building and wicking your own coils, and what are you using it in?

brianwert93

May 31, 2014
New Jersey
If your building with cotton, the first few hits are little off till the cotton breaks in even if you boiled it.

I think silica will do the same too.

I'm not sure but I've fired it a few times with no tip on it to see how it vaped and it looked like a clean vape but you can smell and taste this funky odor. I hope it does break in. I just didn't want to be doing something wrong and continue to do it because I miss having that mod to use while I'm at home. I've been using my iTaste 3.0 pretty heavily lately.

Halcyon2501

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Greenville, SC USA
No experience with RDAs, but I know the Kayfuns I've gotten come with a light coating of machine oil. I always have to wash them out before I use them. Have you cleaned your RDA thoroughly? I know Kanthal generally has some slight impurities on it as well - you might try dryburning your coils before you wick them if you're not already.

Otherwise, it's likely just the cotton break in that Sthur mentioned. You're using organic cotton, right?

brianwert93

May 31, 2014
New Jersey
No experience with RDAs, but I know the Kayfuns I've gotten come with a light coating of machine oil. I always have to wash them out before I use them. Have you cleaned your RDA thoroughly? I know Kanthal generally has some slight impurities on it as well - you might try dryburning your coils before you wick them if you're not already.

Otherwise, it's likely just the cotton break in that Sthur mentioned. You're using organic cotton, right?

yes, I thoroughly cleaned my device piece by piece before changing the wicks and cleaning the coils, it's organic cotton, yes. before the coils were even wrapped I torched the kanthal and let it cool down, I don't exactly see any change in the taste as I vape on it. it's really hard to ignore and makes me almost gag if I inhale the vapor. I'm thinking I should just start from scratch and build new coils even though they're spotless.

BuddJohnson

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
Nanaimo BC

EDIT: yes I am building with cotton

It might be you are burning the juice. Some juices aren't meant for higher wattages. You could try the RDA on a VW device like a Vamo or SVD starting @ 5-5.5 watts and see if the taste is any better. If so, then work up the watts till you get satisfaction.
Another thing to consider is, are you getting enough airflow to the coil(s)? This could be part of the problem to.

brianwert93

May 31, 2014
New Jersey
It might be you are burning the juice. Some juices aren't meant for higher wattages. You could try the RDA on a VW device like a Vamo or SVD starting @ 5-5.5 watts and see if the taste is any better. If so, then work up the watts till you get satisfaction.
Another thing to consider is, are you getting enough airflow to the coil(s)? This could be part of the problem to.

would it work on an iTaste v3.0? it's variable wattage. airflow is just set to a medium sized bored hole placed right in front of the coil. there's a few options. i get a good sized cloud and I'm using the only liquid I've ever used on it which is 100% PG as in it's not cut with VG. it's flavored and what not. and it was working fine before so I kind of shelved that aspect of it but that's a good point.

Last edited:

brianwert93

May 31, 2014
New Jersey
Can't pure pg get a funky musty flavor to it? It does to me I can't use pg juices in any of my rbas

I keep mine in the dark most of the time because I don't want them to breathe or get light so much for that reason. it's like beer, the way I see it. you don't want to skunk it. I've never had a musty flavor from pg in my time vaping it. not sure.

BuddJohnson

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
Nanaimo BC
would it work on an iTaste v3.0? it's variable wattage. airflow is just set to a medium sized bored hole placed right in front of the coil. there's a few options. i get a good sized cloud and I'm using the only liquid I've ever used on it which is 100% PG as in it's not cut with VG. it's flavored and what not. and it was working fine before so I kind of shelved that aspect of it but that's a good point.

Yep that iTaste v3.0 will work for testing. Start on the lowest > work up , it's a good habit to get into anyways.
Hmmmms.. could also be the type cotton. Has this cotton worked in any other set up of yours? The type of cotton makes a difference to. Organic cotton balls/yarn have less flavor interference. Alot of people are boiling it first to be extra sure the impurities are out. I can attest to some nasty flavor that came of the first batch of non organic cotton balls I got from the grocery store.

brianwert93

May 31, 2014
New Jersey
Yep that iTaste v3.0 will work for testing. Start on the lowest > work up , it's a good habit to get into anyways.
Hmmmms.. could also be the type cotton. Has this cotton worked in any other set up of yours? The type of cotton makes a difference to. Organic cotton balls/yarn have less flavor interference. Alot of people are boiling it first to be extra sure the impurities are out. I can attest to some nasty flavor that came of the first batch of non organic cotton balls I got from the grocery store.

they're organic, they don't have the whitest of white color that some have. I've never tried this kind before because it's my first time re wicking it myself.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
You've said you've cleaned both coils, so obviously you're using some sort of dual coil device. But what is the total, installed resistance? If you don't know, don't use it. (Well, if you're attached to your face and hands..)

If you don't have a DMM, use your VV3 to check.

Keep in mind that with a mechanical, there is NO control over the power to the coil(s), you get full battery voltage all the time, although of course it will drop off as used.

Dual coils need to be perfectly matched. The total resistance will then be 1/2 of what each coil is. REAL easy to get too low for many flavors. Real easy, too, to not allow enough time for the wick to saturate, and the first draw then will at least singe the cotton. Once burned, the only way to get rid of that taste is to rewick.

brianwert93

May 31, 2014
New Jersey
You've said you've cleaned both coils, so obviously you're using some sort of dual coil device. But what is the total, installed resistance? If you don't know, don't use it. (Well, if you're attached to your face and hands..)

If you don't have a DMM, use your VV3 to check.

Keep in mind that with a mechanical, there is NO control over the power to the coil(s), you get full battery voltage all the time, although of course it will drop off as used.

Dual coils need to be perfectly matched. The total resistance will then be 1/2 of what each coil is. REAL easy to get too low for many flavors. Real easy, too, to not allow enough time for the wick to saturate, and the first draw then will at least singe the cotton. Once burned, the only way to get rid of that taste is to rewick.

sorry for getting back so late but it turned out to be the juice I was vaping. for some reason it was just vaping really nastily and I switched flavors and it was gone. but the juice that tastes bad in the mod works fine in the iClear tank I use on my iTaste. weird stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread