Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2015
Austin, TX
Good morning.

I miss the drop down links on the left side of the old forum.

One would let you bring up all of the threads in which you had posted that also had new posts. Another would quick link to new classifieds postings.

Is there a similar function on the new forum?

Thanks again.

Jay :headbang:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Good morning.

I miss the drop down links on the left side of the old forum.

One would let you bring up all of the threads in which you had posted that also had new posts. Another would quick link to new classifieds postings.

Is there a similar function on the new forum?

Thanks again.

Jay :headbang:
Yes and no. Try hovering over your name at the top right (next to Inbox), and clicking Your Content. See how that looks to you.

For Classifieds, not planned at this time. You can "Watch" that forum though (was called subscribing before), by going there into the forum and click Watch Forum. You can set alerts, or just have it on your Watched Forums list (linked at the top of almost every page).

:)

Reactions: Robino1

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I must say that the 'format' (first page of forum) looks 'nice and neat' uncluttered, etc. But its usefulness and convenience is sorely lacking vs. what we had. I understand the 'reasons' as Roly stated - more google friendly, more exposure via social media, etc. - but it's not user friendly, imo.

All the sub forums need extra clicks to view, it's not readily apparent as vbulletin if you are participating in a thread, or whether the forum was 'read' without a few extra clicks, and the 'hidden' aspects of sub forums tends to keep you out of them when in the full view of sub forums you might see something that interests you.

I understand it takes time to get used to new stuff but the above isn't likely to change - it's the format - and I've seen users in other forums with xen, that have the same complaints.

I also don't care for some of the near PC aspects - 'start a conversation', 'leave a conversation' - they may as well have had 'bond with someone' :facepalm: PM works and it's shorter :- ) and it will still be used to describe the function.

I know, I know.....

:lol:

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I must say that the 'format' (first page of forum) looks 'nice and neat' uncluttered, etc. But its usefulness and convenience is sorely lacking vs. what we had. I understand the 'reasons' as Roly stated - more google friendly, more exposure via social media, etc. - but it's not user friendly, imo.

All the sub forums need extra clicks to view, it's not readily apparent as vbulletin if you are participating in a thread, or whether the forum was 'read' without a few extra clicks, and the 'hidden' aspects of sub forums tends to keep you out of them when in the full view of sub forums you might see something that interests you.

I understand it takes time to get used to new stuff but the above isn't likely to change - it's the format - and I've seen users in other forums with xen, that have the same complaints.

I also don't care for some of the near PC aspects - 'start a conversation', 'leave a conversation' - they may as well have had 'bond with someone' :facepalm: PM works and it's shorter :- ) and it will still be used to describe the function.

I know, I know.....

:lol:

Depends on how you use the forum, I guess.

So far, in my experience, it's way better than it was.

The ability to remove forums and threads from showing up in new posts alone, makes it a ton better.

Reactions: Lori2014

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
You don't have to click on the sub-forum arrow. Just mouse over it and it shows.

Not intended to get into a back and forth on this, but you could see more than just the name of the subforum on vb.... last post, etc. views, replies, etc. I've stated my opinion - some will agree, some won't.... d'uh :lol:

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Well, you can choose to believe me if you want, but on another forum I frequent there was a poll about 6 months ago on how members utilize the form. The number one response was by utilizing the New Posts button (#2 was by watching/subscribing to threads the members had posted in and viewing those watched threads). So, I'm pretty sure and I know there's many others, but don't know how many.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
My complaint has nothing to do with how the forum works now. It's got to do with how everything looks. It's just really hard on the eyes. Everything is 'white', and there's no real separation between posts, just an extrmemly light, faint line that's so hard to see it might as well not be there. And having the usernames below instead of above the Avatar just looks out of place. All I want is the option to go back to the ECF-1 or ECF-2 style, that has real color and divisions between posts.

This new style is just cold and impersonal looking, and very hard on the eyes. Overall it's like I'm not at home but in a strange place. Lonely. So I'd really like ECF to leave it alone for those who like it but give the rest of us the option to have the older more visually appealing style, like they used to. As it is now I don't look forward to coming here any more.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The older styles were created for a different software package, meaning it is not just a simple matter of importing them into the software and turning it on. Months were spent on the design of this theme, and it's going to take some time to finish up a darker theme.

As for multiple choices other than this or a dark theme, it remains to be seen. Each addition of a theme requires more work whenever there's an update, and this is something we're trying to get away from for the sanity of the server team.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Only my 2nd visit since the changeover, and so far, I'm mainly missing a login link on the main forum page. So far, I'm able to login only by attempting an action that requires that I login, then a get a link to the login page.

Also, apparently theres so much scripting going on, that I can type in the reply/post boxes faster than the site code can keep up.

And, it'd be great if there were a way to disable the "click to expand" on a <quote> section. Sometimes, quoting would be used for purposes other than replying to a post. And, for that matter, if I'm scrolling along on a page, I'd really rather not be having to move my mouse pointer around clicking on that - easier to just scroll past stuff I don't want to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread