Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
YouTube - ‪e-cig‬‏

here is a new one. helping them take our ecigs away....like a boss.

profile says 13 years old and his mom is in the backround telling him to turn his music down.
If your still living with your parents, your to young to vape. ymmv

lol, went down 10 minutes from when i first seen it. flagging like a boss!

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
Sorry, I must be really dense or something! I agree that I wouldn't want my teenager vaping either, but who says it is against the law? The way I understand it, except for interstate transportation, few states even have ANY laws about vaping, it's just too new and state legislatures run at slow-mo speeds.
Of course, I could be full of it, please correct me if I am.
Alan

ecigs are classified as a tobacco product. you have to be 18 or over to purchase tobacco.

to reiterate. I don't care if a juvinile vapes, Its when they put a video on youtube of them doing it that makes me angry. You think its a harmless clip, untill its on 20/20 next week.

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
I did a report on cigarettes in my liberal arts course and found out that 85% of smokers smoke before the are of legal age. Which makes sense, I don't know many adults that think "Hmmm I think I'll take up smoking now" lol

My professor is 65 and he stated that he started when he was 9 years old when he had to buy cigarettes for HIS parents. This is a hot topic because I understand a minor wanting to quit and would assist anyone in helping to quit smoking but I really don't think a minor should have an electronic cigarette at all. I feel that the general public seeing minors using these is sending the wrong message weather it be on the internet or IRL.

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
YouTube - ‪smoking an e-cig‬‏

he made a new channel and reposted it. after he sent me nasty PMs where he says that he's 18 and "i can do what I want". Yeah well I went to his facebook and it says he's a freshman in highschool.

Flag and thumbsdown please.
lol, went down 10 minutes from when i first seen it. flagging like a boss!

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
So, harm reduction or the benefit of more easily stopping smoking should only be reserved for whom?

I haven't watched the linked-to videos, but I watched the one a couple of months ago that had so many people bent out of shape. If anyone would have actually watched that video, they would have noticed a couple of things. First, that kid said he'd been smoking for over 4 years. The other mentionable about that one was that the kid had some obvious emotional issues.

So, y'all want to be sure a kid like that can't quit smoking until he's at least 21? Nice. How many in this thread started smoking before that age? how many ended up hooked for a decade? two decades? three decades? more? How many have ever complained about other people putting their nose in your business as it relates to smoking? How many were upset with the FDA and seizures of e-cig related stuff? Now acting just like them... Huh.

I don't care who gets angry at this statement: Look in your mirror once and a while.

-xirix-

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2011
Southern Wisconsin
I can see your point... I was one of the punk kids that started when I was 14. I can also see the ones who don't currently smoke looking at vaping like the next "cool thing" to get a buzz or be cool or whatever the hell the reason we started was.

All I can say, is it's a fine line and the beginning of a nasty debate for some.

X

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Youtube wasn't around when a lot of us started smoking. I started stealing cigarettes from my mom when I was 11 and became a full fledged smoker at 15. Back then my mom could hand me a couple of bucks to go buy her cigarettes and it didn't occur to anyone to ask me about it. When I was a senior in high school, the law changed so that you had to be 16 to buy cigarettes. Now it's 18. The thing that makes this bad and the reason I will flag any of these kids is because we're currently fighting a battle to keep vaping legal. One of the biggest arguments against vaping is that kids are being targeted for sales. I'm not saying that kids aren't buying these because they certainly do. It's when they post videos flaunting it and encouraging their peers to do it.

Convenience stores should be carding appropriately for ANY tobacco products, including e-cigs. When they aren't doing their job, we end up losing. Underage smoking and vaping should be discouraged and if that means flagging a video, then so be it.

Just my .25 cents (.02 cents adjusted for inflation.)

Animeguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Virginia
I just went back to one of the gas stations and they still had them there, this time I had them pull it off the floor. The lady that was there told me she was on vacation and just got back, I guess she is the store manager and the dude I talked to was not. Even tho it was a POS 10 dollar disposable, its just not right to put that on the floor side.

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
I started smoking well before the legal age to do so.

I imagine many/most of us did.

BUT...we didn't go around flaunting it. When it was illegal for me to smoke, I snuck around. YOu know, bought cigarettes from stores where I wouldn't be seen by folks who knew me, kept them in my bag, not a visible shirt pocket, smoked them in places that wouldn't attract attention. :)

I didn't put movies of myself smoking in public places. Like youtube, if it had existed, which it didn't.

Funnily enough, though- everybody KNEW then that a lot of underage kids were smoking, and nobody suggested a cigarette ban because of it. Now everyone seems to think that the fact that a few kids might vape (and there's no evidence that it's especially popular, or likely to become so) is a justification for a total ban.

I seriously smell a rat.

Best,
Ande

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Like a few posters above me, I have no problems with minors vaping. I have no problems with minors vaping IF they were smokers and if they are indeed using it as a smoking alternative, not to stave off the shakes until their next deathstick. I would much rather see a 13 year old with an e-cig instead of his old analogs. I myself am pretty young and know I'm lucky to have realized relatively early that smoking was already killing me. My heart goes out to those that dealt with all the terrible things smoking brings and does for decades of their lives.

I honestly commend any teenage smoker who can have the clarity of mind to know that smoking is not cool, it's completely destructive, etc. While smoking and vaping is something that, in a perfect world, should be enjoyed only by adults, the world isn't perfect and kids get their hands on cigarettes and think they're badas*es. They're lucky (we're all lucky) they have an alternative like e-cigs and that the industry and culture is only getting bigger. Kids also get their hands on alcohol, and some will drink all their lives. Some will become alcoholics, and as far as I know there's no such thing as e-alcohol. Or e-c*caine Or e-h*roin... you get my drift. There are no real long term options for these addictions that don't eventually end in complete abstinence from the substance. Young smokers and everyone on this forum, all forums, and all ex-smokers current-vapors are lucky we essentially have a (fun, nifty) harm reduction strategy that allows us to enjoy nicotine in a safer way. I know everyone on here is grateful for that, and a teenager who wants to quit will be grateful for it too.

The problem is, of course, with teenagers advertising on YouTube. But you shouldn't be angry at them for vaping. If there's any reason we should be frustrated it's because they're only jeopardizing the efforts of all of us to ensure e-cigs stay legal and available for years to come... years when they're old enough to legally use PVs. (Think about it... someone who quit smoking and decided to start vaping at 14 is going to be super knowledgeable by the time they reach the legal age and can make YouTube videos for the community!)

No one shoot me for this, but I must admit there are very few circumstances under which I think anyone, legal or not, should begin vaping if they have never smoked. We all believe vaping to be healthier than smoking, it probably is. We all believe vaping to be almost inconsequential to any aspect of our health (at least 0 nic juice), it probably is. Since the volume of work is still so small (but ever increasing), though, it's really hard for me personally to accept the concept of anyone without a previous smoking habit picking it up... because there's no arguing that the fact of the matter, in this case, is that there isn't anything as safe as nothing at all.

If vaping is, however, the lesser of two evils then it should be used to the fullest advantage. For many of us, it is the lesser evil to smoking. In my teenage years, smoking was the lesser evil to a whole slew of other substances. (Trading addiction for addiction? Maybe, probably. Was it better regardless? Yes.) Someone mentioned thinking a young YouTuber might have had some emotional problems. As someone who can sympathize with that as well, if vaping helps you calm down in a time of true emotional crisis... more power to you. Better than needing Xanax to control your anxiety (and I am someone who needs Xanax to control my anxiety). I just don't think, at this point, vaping should be advertised as something anyone should pick up without a really good reason... if only because we are still waiting for more information. Legal adults at least have the ability to educate themselves on how to safely consume alcohol without damaging their bodies; alcohol has existed and been studied for literally thousands of years. (Not that it will take thousands of years to more conclusively prove the health ramifications of e-cigs... hopefully you get what I mean) Opposed to smoking, there's almost no question vaping is leaps and bounds healthier. I just personally believe there needs to be more extensive work done before it's something to even recommend to a lay person as a thing to just start. Just my humble opinion.

Flagging and voting down teens' vaping videos is incendiary and aggressive. If some feel that it is necessary for you to do that, for whatever reason, I pass no judgement when I say please do. For all others, I believe you should message the kid about his/her vaping. Ask how they started, heard of it, etc. Without being condescending, maybe explain why having a video on YouTube is harmful to the community (whatever your feelings on that are). See if they will remove it. If not, by all means, we should then flag away. We're protecting our cause and our rights. But young vapers' stories, motives, and feelings are just as checkered, varied, and unique as vapers of a legal age.

Last edited:

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Hold it people! DON'T GO AFTER THOSE KIDS !!!

Kids are Kids. I was a Kid trying to get away with stuff once, so were YOU. It's not the kids fault that's just human nature. Go after You Tube and the Gas Stations instead. They are the ones at fault. If you go after the kids they may resent you and the e-cig community as a whole. then when it comes time to smoke or not smoke, they may choose The Real Thing out of spite! You KNOW how kids can be.

You Tube has a lot to answer for these days. They have videos that show people smoking pot and doing and advertising pot smoking products. I was shocked when I saw this. I'm no prude, I used to smoke with the best of em but I don't think it openly belongs on You Tube.

zacsz 's has a good point. I know lots of kids who started smoking cigarettes at 14. Kids Will find ways to get them if they are sold them legally or not. If it wasn't against the law for kids to get e-cigs or at least easier say like with a parents consent, that may save many lives in the long run.

Last edited:

brittanyNI

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2011
New England
I am of two minds on this. Teen years are usually when people take up things like smoking, drinking and drug use. In an ideal or perfect world, laws that say "18+" would mean that and even more importantly, the very second people turned 18 they would have great wisdom with which to make decisions. But we don't live in a perfect world. Instead, we live in a world where teens will do lots of things their elders know to be unwise.

On the one hand, I am reminded of sex education in schools and the making available of condoms. Theoretically, people under age 18 cannot give informed consent for sex and hence all parties to sexual congress (of either sex) are rape victims even if they gave consent. So obviously, providing condoms to make safer something that should not be taking place to start with seems to be a form of encouragement. So the condoms should not be provided because it constitutes a form of approval or even surrender by authority. Instead, all teens should be taught is abstinence. Abstinence is 100% effective at stopping pregnancy, STDs, and the inevitable heartbreaks that come with unanticipated bondings.

On the other hand, I cannot live in a world of fairy tales. I know that persons under age 18 WILL have sex. Not all of them, but many. And if they are going to have sex in a world where in some regions as many as 40% of girls contract HPV with their very first act of intimacy; maybe girls should be vaccinated with gardasil and boys and girls alike instructed in the use of condoms for safer (not safe, but safer) sex. Maybe even the girls should be instructed in the use of female condoms so they don't have to rely on boys.

Both points of view have merit. The world is not simple. I believe teens vaping on Youtube fall into a similar category.

I didn't start smoking until I was in my early 20s. But I know most people who start, start as teens. All sorts of things have been tried to prevent teen smoking including prohibitively high prices, public awareness campaigns and more. They have not worked and will not work for everyone, for the same reason that abstinence education does not work for everyone.

So if the choice for a teen is analog smokes or a personal vaporizer ... it is sort of like the choice between sex with or without a condom. I'd rather they not have sex or inhale foreign substances at all. But if they are going to do it anyway, I would rather they use a condom and a personal vaporizer.

I think, also, it should be pointed out that if you go on youtube and just type in "teen smoking" you'll find lots of teens smoking analogs too -- and blatantly violating the law.

This, I think, to a certain extent indicates laws that have gone so far as to diminish the credibility and respect for the law that citizens should have. When people blatantly and publicly violate laws to great fanfare, I think that is saying something important.

I think WomanOfHeart has a great point that the potential use by teens is a reason for various sorts of regulation. Perhaps it is my libertarian nature, but I believe regulators are like a giant ever-growing amoeba and if they can't find real justification to expand their jobs/authority/funding, they will make it up anyway.

All it really takes is ONE child to get hold of a bottle of 60mg e-liquid and drink it to put the whole industry on lock-down. Kids drink gasoline, kerosene, drano and all kinds of horrible stuff. As tragic as it is, a child being hurt by e-liquid, if it has not happened already, is only a matter of time because we live in a world where a certain percentage of people are so dumb that we have to have warnings on ladders that you might fall off. People who need such warnings are unlikely to keep dangerous materials such as e-liquids properly secured, and tragedy will be the inevitable result.

So as much as I dislike seeing that such videos exist for many reasons, I don't believe they should be shut down. Teens smoke too, just like they have sex. Let them have PVs and condoms both even though I wish neither were needed. In the final analysis it will make little difference in terms of regulation because ultimately regulation will be justified by lowest-common-denominator people who can't be trusted with sharp objects and will allow innocent children to be harmed through either ignorance or negligence.

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
Just putting it out there, but last time I checked the law didn't say it was illegal for them to USE tobacco products. It is illegal for someone to sell (or supply) them with it. It might seem like a small difference, but it is really a large one. A kid could smoke in front of a cop all day and there is nothing the cop can do.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Actually, to the best of my knowledge, whether or not it is illegal for minors to smoke differs by country to country, state by state, and jurisdiction by jurisdiction. Take a look at Wikipedia:

Smoking age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, we all know Wikipedia can't always be taken as the most factual but it's a good guideline. If you notice, some countries in Asia and Europe specifically have no defined smoking age, but certainly do have a defined purchase age. In other countries, both are the same thing. In Sweden, it is noted that "Prior to 1997, no legal age on smoking. Starting January 1997, no persons under age 18 is allowed to purchase or use tobacco products. [Swedish Tobacco Act, Sec.12]" Again, not everything Wikipedia says is necessarily true and the degree to which these laws are followed or enforced is obviously variable but I think this pretty clearly shows that there is no one answer, and as most of us know, if a minor wants to get his/her hands on cigarettes, they can. If they want to smoke them, they can. Most cops have more important things to worry about than ticketing a teenager for smoking a cigarette. More and more, cops aren't even cracking down on people smoking small amounts of p*t. That doesn't mean it's good or right, just true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread