More underage people putting ecig vaping videos on youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippiebrian

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Long Beach, Ca.
Here in California it is illegal for anyone under 18 to even USE tobacco products, and the cops will ticket and call/contact parents when possible.

I agree with those who would rather see teens vape than smoke, however for them to be open and putting it on the net is just fuel for the abolitionists and should NOT be tolerated!

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
Im not sure if I commented this comment yet but if I did I'll say it again:

I dont dissagree with teen vapers but I don't think they should be out in public vaping either. They should stay inside, get a passthrough and vape at there friends, in their car or in their room. If they cannot keep it off the streets they shouldnt be vaping. You gotta remember that the public image doesnt come from those that are arrested but common everyday people word of mouth. After a while it can look like a bad thing.

But it is better than smoking, I am tied both ways :S

b3ast1e

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
UK South Coast
Sorry if this constitutes necro'ing a thread. But I really think we have to be careful in jumping on these. Or at least, being absolutely clear that the motivation for getting these juve vids pulled isn't being misconstrued by the anti-smoking/"anti-anything I don't do" brigade. I'd hate for us all to be inadvertently playing into the hands of knee-jerk white knights who will look for any excuse to put vaping in a bad light.

Unless You Tube are robustly making clear why those vids were yanked, it could be sending out a message that e-vaping itself is a self-harm hot topic and they're on it like sonic, rather than the objection being under agers doing something they ought not to be. Also, as people have said, smoking law internationally is rather fragmented.

Sure, we don't wanna see kids showing us up, but I think the best way is to flag, but definitely use the comments section to be absolutely clear what the objection is.

Last edited:
I've encountered many teens smoking. Usually I give them a small lecture on how it's bad for them. But after I tell them that Vaping isn't as bad.
Although I personaly don't believe that e-cigs should be avaliable to minors I do believe that if they're going to smoke dispite being informed about the danger to their health that they're better off vaping. The lesser of the two evils if you would...

Last edited:

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
Hey ECF. I found some more videos. You know the drill!
Vaping my E-Cig -HD- New Camera - YouTube
Says He's 18 but his age on his profile says 26. To me this is a sign that he is possibly underage.

Chillin' smoking my e-cig - YouTube
Another one.

E-Zigarette Test deutsch - YouTube
And another one

Angus.

EDIT: Just realized that my embeds failed. replaced with URLs

I don't think so. I would only flag the ones that are blatenly minors.

But thanks for taking up the cause!

brittanyNI

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2011
New England
I have recently come to the conclusion that any form of drug addiction is a serious problem because once a person is addicted, it warps the person's hierarchy of values to give that substance and its supply an inordinate level of priority in his life. Anytime a substance takes priority, it is a problem.

Though, obviously, if one is going to serve an addiction, it is better to do so in a less rather than more immediately harmful way; the mere fact of being addicted in and of itself is problematic.

Addiction to nicotine takes a while. It isn't like crack. So I agree with the position of stopping teens who vape. Down the road, I look forward to vaccines that are being developed to block the effects of nicotine and thereby prevent and treat the addiction.

I have seen some data that nicotine itself is not very addictive without the other alkaloids in tobacco. However, the large population of dedicated vapers who invest substantial amounts of time, money and experimentation even for years after quitting smoking indicates to me that nicotine itself is in fact highly addictive.

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky

And why did you feel the need to open a "new thread"? there's already a thread right here on the topic.

Oh, I see. You felt a need to censor the thread on the topic you feel so strongly about in hopes of silencing those who disagree with you in case others felt their opinion made more sense than yours. That could reduce the mayhem you hope to create by abuse flagging some videos you don't want to see. I've stated my personal opinion on this topic.

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
And why did you feel the need to open a "new thread"? there's already a thread right here on the topic.

Oh, I see. You felt a need to censor the thread on the topic you feel so strongly about in hopes of silencing those who disagree with you in case others felt their opinion made more sense than yours. That could reduce the mayhem you hope to create by abuse flagging some videos you don't want to see. I've stated my personal opinion on this topic.
THere are probably 3-4 older threads on the same subject.
I start new threads on the subject every few months for a couple of reasons.
-Newer threads see more traffic
-opionion posts make the thread many pages longer and when a new video link is posted it gets buried and not as many people get a chance to see it.
-people viewing the thread for the first time don't have to look at back and forth arguments before they get to the video links
-I thought it made sense to have one thread with only video links and bumps, and create a seperate thread soley for the debate of the subject, along with a poll at the top to show what the stance of the majority of the people who care about the subject is.

*what I have learned is that the forum members who feel strongly will follow the last thread posted no matter how many pages it becomes and continue to participate. I probably won't create a new thread for awhile unless the current one gets way to conveluted.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
If you were flagging "let's be cool" videos, instead of videos where they are vaping to quit smoking, I'd be totally in on this and flagging left and right those that are ridiculous. As this is not the case in most of these video's I've seen, I am wishing I could flag someone else entirely (the flaggers, to be precise) than these almost 18 year old kids who are desperately trying to quit smoking. There's a fine line between vigilante-ing and mentoring. Thank goodness many are speaking up and mentoring the kids, educating them, instead of just flagging them. I am saddened by any mob mentality, and this one saddens me the most. I truly don't understand this type of flagging behavior towards people who have chosen to quit smoking.

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
I started using ecigs underage to stop smoking but I sure didn't make a youtube video about it. Those kids are stupid and giving people all the ammunition they need to get ecigs regulated just like analogs.

Not just that but the kids look dumb in their videos. Like they are trying to be 'cool' making a video of them vaping; solely around them vaping and nothing more. I just facepalm when I watch some of these videos and in my head im thinking "really kid?"

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
what I have learned is that the forum members who feel strongly will follow the last thread posted no matter how many pages it becomes and continue to participate. I probably won't create a new thread for awhile unless the current one gets way to conveluted.

It all looks like a direct violation of rule #21 in the forum rules to me and I'm a little astounded these threads are allowed to continue at all. Flagging someones video for illegal drug use? Really? You want to make some kid shut up so you start a denial of service campaign against his or her youtube account with false reports and unfounded drug use claims. Amazing. If it weren't for rules 7 and 8 I'd be typing a paragraph about the history of book burning.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
It all looks like a direct violation of rule #21 in the forum rules to me and I'm a little astounded these threads are allowed to continue at all. Flagging someones video for illegal drug use? Really? You want to make some kid shut up so you start a denial of service campaign against his or her youtube account with false reports and unfounded drug use claims. Amazing. If it weren't for rules 7 and 8 I'd be typing a paragraph about the history of book burning.

Just for clarification
21. Attacking other websites
Members' use of this forum to discuss spamming, trolling or disruption of other sites is not allowed.
a. No posts discussing the placing of unwanted text or materials on another website or forum are allowed.
b. No posts advocating methods to carry out such attacks are allowed.
c. No posts giving resources to carry out such attacks are allowed.
d. Members who attack other sites in any way are at risk of being banned. This includes trolling, spamming links, or acting in a way likely to bring ECF into disrepute on other sites.

I agree Six. It does look like this rule is being continually broken by these threads. Question is will the Mods stick by the rules as written or will they unfairly break the rules to suit their own personal feelings on this matter. We all have varying personal feelings on this subject but rules are rules. The Mods have to be fair and objective. If they don't, even follow their own rules then what good is any set of rules? We might as well have Anarchy. I'm confident the ECF will do whats best for them in the long run. They will either change this rules so that these types of threads can survive or they will shut these threads down. Option 3 is the flagrant ignoring of their own rules in this matter and I bet they won't do that because they will want to save face to the international e-cig community. I don't think it's wrong, or breaking rule number 9 to point out that a rule seems to be being broken here and it's being ignored. Good catch Six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread