Most Efficient Coil Build for Mechs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
So what is you most efficient coil build for mech mods with a single 18650 battery ?
By efficient I mean a coil that will give the highest surface area, wattage and longest lasting battery usage.

I come to the conclusion it is this combination:

Wire: 28AWG
Resistance: 1.8-2.0Ohms
Voltage: 3.7-4.2V
Wattage 8-10W

Share some of your builds

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Lucas Rong

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2015
24 gauge kanthal dual parallel 6 wraps around a 3mm is a simple way to go. Some might not like the warm vape and also since you use 28 gauge, so you can do a regular dual 24g coil instead. Always build within your batteries limits. Also you should try out nichrome wire, it gives off a way cleaner taste than kanthal imo. Nichrome also ramp up way faster than kanthal so it is more suitable for mechanical devices.

Reactions: Roaddog66

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
24 gauge kanthal dual parallel 6 wraps around a 3mm is a simple way to go. Some might not like the warm vape and also since you use 28 gauge, so you can do a regular dual 24g coil instead. Always build within your batteries limits. Also you should try out nichrome wire, it gives off a way cleaner taste than kanthal imo. Nichrome also ramp up way faster than kanthal so it is more suitable for mechanical devices.

I got some NiCr 80 coming, they have less resistance and ramps up faster than Kanthal A1 from what I read.
I think 24AWG will be too big of a coil for battery efficiency. Right now I can vape all week with just a single 18650 before it drops to 3.6V. Sub Ohmers need to change their batteries every hour, that is not what I am looking for.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So what is you most efficient coil build for mech mods with a single 18650 battery ?
By efficient I mean a coil that will give the highest surface area, wattage and longest lasting battery usage.

Wattage 8-10W

The coil I'm using the last few months is
Wire: 28 awg: 2 strand twisted
Resistance: 1.57 ohms
Voltage: ... oh;; you said mech ; anyways its 4.7 volts
Wattage: 14 watts.

Lucas Rong

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2015
I got some NiCr 80 coming, they have less resistance and ramps up faster than Kanthal A1 from what I read.
I think 24AWG will be too big of a coil for battery efficiency. Right now I can vape all week with just a single 18650 before it drops to 3.6V. Sub Ohmers need to change their batteries every hour, that is not what I am looking for.
I think you pretty much have an idea of what you are gonna use in the first place. Its personal preference, if you dont want to go below 1 ohm, there arent much options to work with more than 28 gauge.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas

Wattage 8-10W

Efficient is subjective. I wouldn't last 10 minutes vaping your setup.

My efficiency range has to begin
at .5 ohms or less. This creates the flavor and vapor I require. This is a
.07 single coil I am vaping now.

Hisses like a feral alley cat[emoji85]
d98d4262662ad59f36386aa2e8e5ae6f.jpg

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Efficient is subjective. I wouldn't last 10 minutes vaping your setup.

My efficiency range has to begin
at .5 ohms or less. This creates the flavor and vapor I require. This is a
.07 single coil I am vaping now.

Hisses like a feral alley cat[emoji85]
d98d4262662ad59f36386aa2e8e5ae6f.jpg
What are you using that on?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
The coil I'm using the last few months is
Wire: 28 awg: 2 strand twisted
Resistance: 1.57 ohms
Voltage: ... oh;; you said mech ; anyways its 4.7 volts
Wattage: 14 watts.

4.2 volts is the most you can expect off a fresh battery. However, between the mod's resistance and the voltage sag of the battery the most you can reasonably expect to the coil is 4 volts, maybe a bit higher, though the first few tenths of a volt drop off after the first drag or two.

No it is objective, battery capacity can be measured and is absolute, only a layman would suggest otherwise !

Capacity itself is objective. That being said, useful capacity is subjective. An atomizer in the 1-2 ohm range may last a long time by merit of very little current draw, but it would be close to unusable since I like to lung hit.

Despite running at lower resistance, there are steps you can take to increasing the efficiency of a build, the main one is use naked wire and keep the coil mass to a minimum while matching your coil size to the airflow. Complex coils take extra time to heat up due to their extra mass, the coil windings have much greater resistance than the core wire and therefore much less current flows through them, so they just act as insulation for heat that could otherwise be vaporizing juice.
You want a coil that reacts basically instantaneously to power and cools off almost immediately.

A direct to battery mod of course.

Wide open choke throwing almost 230 watts off a 4 Volt charge.

Am I exceeding the CDR of the LGH2? LOL

Chuffin clouds brah[emoji12].

Unless you are using a 3p box mod... by a wide margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread