Mouth inhale safer for lungs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigStu81

Jun 14, 2016
Hey guys,

Signed up to post this topic as couldn't see many discussions on the matter...

There seems to be some evidence that vaping is an irritant to the lungs (I can find the documentary if necessary) and it was suggested that, whilst being an extremely viable alternative to smoking, it may not be good for the lungs in the long run.

As somebody who loves my high vg sub ohm hits this dismayed me, yet I wasn't really surprised. I wonder if mouth inhaling would help mitigate this issue?

I'm only speculating now, but the lungs have surely evolved to breathe primarily air (I'd imagine there was much less air contamination in centuries/millennia past) but the mouth has perhaps evolved to deal with a variety of different antagonising substances over the millennia - we've been eating ginger, chillies, etc for thousands of years, although this last part is definitely conjecture.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Reactions: Belushi

BigStu81

Jun 14, 2016
Horizon, 2015-2016: 10. E-Cigarettes: Miracle or Menace?

This was the program I watched (although I admittedly skipped to the end as was watching at work). The guy basically talks about a 400% increase in airway irritation, whilst acknowledging that airway resistance is very minor.
I've read that some of the other studies which people cite in shock media ("vamping as bad as smoking!") used stupid controls like administering 500x the concentration the typical viper would experience, but at face value this sounded fairly convincing.

BigStu81

Jun 14, 2016
Vaping is Harm Reduction, not harm elimination. I think we all understand that.

Much as I wish it weren't the case, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I actually enjoy vaping MUCH more than I ever did smoking but I'm confident I could give it up tomorrow if I wanted. I sometimes forget to take my juice to work and have no probs going the whole day without - well, I get a bit of a craving, but I can totally deal with it.

I barely drink and haven't smoked bud for years, so it's the last solitary guilty pleasure I have. I guess I'm saying that I ultimately vape for pleasure nowadays - apologies if that offends anyone who is struggling to quit or is vaping as an alternative to cigarettes.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Hey guys,

Signed up to post this topic as couldn't see many discussions on the matter...

There seems to be some evidence that vaping is an irritant to the lungs (I can find the documentary if necessary) and it was suggested that, whilst being an extremely viable alternative to smoking, it may not be good for the lungs in the long run.

As somebody who loves my high vg sub ohm hits this dismayed me, yet I wasn't really surprised. I wonder if mouth inhaling would help mitigate this issue?

I'm only speculating now, but the lungs have surely evolved to breathe primarily air (I'd imagine there was much less air contamination in centuries/millennia past) but the mouth has perhaps evolved to deal with a variety of different antagonising substances over the millennia - we've been eating ginger, chillies, etc for thousands of years, although this last part is definitely conjecture.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

We don't have any facts to go on at this point so you can believe anything you was.

For me personally the lungs clean as the wind driven snow ship sailed about 40 years ago. Lung hitting a vape makes me feel much better.

Doing nothing would be best for all of us. For me that's not an option because I'm stupid and look for excuses to start smoking again. So I'll roll the dice with vaping.

BigStu81

Jun 14, 2016
Fair enough, mate.

I was never more than a 10-15 a day cig smoker (age 15-30ish) but I was a daily bud smoker for over a decade. I enjoy lifting now, my lungs/fitness feel pretty good, and I reckon I could absolutely quit vamping and still find enough distractions not to get bored or relapse. But damn, I love my sweet flavours and vaping helps me to avoid grazing on doughnuts and other crap in the office which would easily turn me back into the fatass I was for so many years (not an excuse mind).

Guess I'm trying to weigh up the situation. The UK Gov has stated (on their website) that their estimate is that it's only 5% as harmful as smoking (and effectively said that this was cautiously trying to account for the longer term factors) but hell, losing a leg is probably only 5% as bad as dying...

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Fair enough, mate.

I was never more than a 10-15 a day cig smoker (age 15-30ish) but I was a daily bud smoker for over a decade. I enjoy lifting now, my lungs/fitness feel pretty good, and I reckon I could absolutely quit vamping and still find enough distractions not to get bored or relapse. But damn, I love my sweet flavours and vaping helps me to avoid grazing on doughnuts and other crap in the office which would easily turn me back into the fatass I was for so many years (not an excuse mind).

Guess I'm trying to weigh up the situation. The UK Gov has stated (on their website) that their estimate is that it's only 5% as harmful as smoking (and effectively said that this was cautiously trying to account for the longer term factors) but hell, losing a leg is probably only 5% as bad as dying...
That 5% as harmful was stated as "at least 95% less harmful", with an acknowledgement that it may be essentially 100%. That 5% number was politics, not science. So it would be way out of context to equate their estimate with losing a leg vs death.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Like anything ... the poison is in the dose.

I believe moderate Vaping will be proven harmless to one's health.

We will have a better idea 5-10 years from now.

The FDA has this all wrong ... Vaping is a Health Miracle.
open tank Vaping is the path to eradicate smoking tobacco.

Sent via iPhone

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but I meant that it is still maybe not insignificantly detrimental. I suspect it'll be years before we have a solid answer, but I want to make as informed a choice as I can. I've made a lot of bad choices in my life but you can't go through life being afraid of everything...
How about looking at relative risk? In the past 30 years the diabetes rate has gone from 1% to 7-10% depending on who you ask. For 65+ year olds it is now 20%. By the time you are 65, maybe it will rise another 7x. Diabetes is said to take an average of 15 years off your life, as much or more than smoking cigs.

No one seems to know exactly why the diabetes rate is so high. Some blame sugar. Some blame preservatives or GMO or....

The gov't seems to be basically silent on it. They are too busy attacking vaping, I guess.

So now, let's think about vaping and what might be in 20 years. And let's consider a 12 oz can of Pepsi, with its 9 tablespoons of sugar equivalent (really High Fructose Corn Syrup- do we want to go there?)

Which is more harmful, a tank of vape, or that soda? Twenty years from now when the diabetes rate will be...??? But we just don't know, do we? And do we want to get started with how many cases of brain cancer we will have after another 20 years of cell phone use? WHO has already declared cell phones a carcinogen although they seem far more preoccupied with stamping out vaping.

Honestly, just my own view on things, we have so many more really serious potential health risks (and diabetes is not "potential" it is real). Vaping is the least of what I would worry about if I wanted to worry all day about what I consume or expose myself to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread