Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I barely drink and haven't smoked bud for years, so it's the last solitary guilty pleasure I have. I guess I'm saying that I ultimately vape for pleasure nowadays - apologies if that offends anyone who is struggling to quit or is vaping as an alternative to cigarettes.

vaping for pleasure is great! Granted, I vape to not smoke, but I also find vaping way more pleasurable than smoking (and a cool hobby to mess with). And of the the guilty pleasures to have, it probably ranks safer than your other choices. Only you can and should decide what risk you want to take with your health My daughter loves skydiving, which, while usually safe, isn't without some risk. I think she's nuts. We all choose our own path.

lynn508

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
alabam
I smoked for 47 years and I was always a mouth to lung type smoker. I have hardly any health issues at all. A lot of my friends now deceased, were lung inhalers if that tells you anything. I always felt that those smokers for some reason were in the worst shape, probably the tar going straight to the lung. Since I have been vaping the last 5 years, my health is even better. I would be more concerned with the heat of the vapor. I have become a lung inhaler on my bellus here lately and love it. I have noticed no changes at all, but there is a big difference in what's in cigs and what's in vapor. At this point I'll take my chances.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hey guys,

Signed up to post this topic as couldn't see many discussions on the matter...

There seems to be some evidence that vaping is an irritant to the lungs (I can find the documentary if necessary) and it was suggested that, whilst being an extremely viable alternative to smoking, it may not be good for the lungs in the long run.

As somebody who loves my high vg sub ohm hits this dismayed me, yet I wasn't really surprised. I wonder if mouth inhaling would help mitigate this issue?

I'm only speculating now, but the lungs have surely evolved to breathe primarily air (I'd imagine there was much less air contamination in centuries/millennia past) but the mouth has perhaps evolved to deal with a variety of different antagonising substances over the millennia - we've been eating ginger, chillies, etc for thousands of years, although this last part is definitely conjecture.

What do you guys (and gals) think?
May be I'm repeating something that's already been said but, vaper is a mild irritant to the lungs, probably trivial compared to smoking but it's all about the dose. Whether you do MTL or lung inthales may be what matters is daily ml's over time.

The impact probably depends on overall health. A young person with a fresh pair of lungs and good recuperation might be able to shrug off all the irritation for many years. Someone who is old and infirm may not do so well. Regardless smoking's gotta be way worse than vaping. I'm no fan of never smokers vaping.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Horizon, 2015-2016: 10. E-Cigarettes: Miracle or Menace?

This was the program I watched (although I admittedly skipped to the end as was watching at work). The guy basically talks about a 400% increase in airway irritation, whilst acknowledging that airway resistance is very minor.
I've read that some of the other studies which people cite in shock media ("vamping as bad as smoking!") used stupid controls like administering 500x the concentration the typical viper would experience, but at face value this sounded fairly convincing.

Flavoring - and it depends on which Flavoring and so far, only indications of Mild irritation. Become Fully informed. All test in the Documentary were on Flavored e-liquids.
Flavor Art is having their Line(painstakingly) Certified Safe for Inhalation.

Reactions: Yiana

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Hey guys,

There seems to be some evidence that vaping is an irritant to the lungs (I can find the documentary if necessary) and it was suggested that, whilst being an extremely viable alternative to smoking, it may not be good for the lungs in the long run.

As somebody who loves my high vg sub ohm hits this dismayed me, yet I wasn't really surprised. I wonder if mouth inhaling would help mitigate this issue?

I'm only speculating now, but the lungs have surely evolved to breathe primarily air (I'd imagine there was much less air contamination in centuries/millennia past) but the mouth has perhaps evolved to deal with a variety of different antagonising substances over the millennia - we've been eating ginger, chillies, etc for thousands of years, although this last part is definitely conjecture.

I think people should vape however works for them. If you think MTL is better for you, do it. I won't be changing my standard DL inhales, because I find them much more satisfying, and a little lung irritation doesn't bother me.

Of course the lungs are evolved to extract oxygen from air, ideally without any contaminants. However, I might disagree with your speculation that the average person encountered "much less air contamination in centuries/millennia past". For most of our species' history; people spent considerable amounts of time huddled around open fires, breathing in a significant amount of wood etc smoke regularly. The very fact that it takes most people decades of daily smoking before they develop lung cancer etc attests to how resilient the respiratory system is.

Anyway, I'm not worried about a little irritation from vapor, not even slightly. Ymmv.

Last edited:

Archer74

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Illinois
Just a thought, when you breathe through your nose, your nose hairs trap a small amount of particles from the air. An air filter to some degree to lightly "clean" the air you breathe in one inhale at a time. But while vaping, you take a lung/mouth full of air through your mouth. Our mouths have no filter so any dust/particles floating around the intake holes gets sucked right in straight to your lungs.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Just a thought, when you breathe through your nose, your nose hairs trap a small amount of particles from the air. An air filter to some degree to lightly "clean" the air you breathe in one inhale at a time. But while vaping, you take a lung/mouth full of air through your mouth. Our mouths have no filter so any dust/particles floating around the intake holes gets sucked right in straight to your lungs.
Without evidence of actual harm this is a solution in search of a problem. And a variation of "there must be something wrong with that". Standard ANTZ tactic. Why are you carrying their water?

Eta:. I guess aerobic exercise is equally harmful since that always results in large volumes of direct lung inhales. You might want to see how that plays in the jogging and exercise forums.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Of course the lungs are evolved to extract oxygen from air, ideally without any contaminants. However, I might disagree with your speculation that the average person encountered "much less air contamination in centuries/millennia past". For most of our species' history; people spent considerable amounts of time huddled around open fires, breathing in a significant amount of wood etc smoke regularly. The very fact that it takes most people decades of daily smoking before they develop lung cancer etc attests to how resilient the respiratory system is.

Agreed.... Many folks consider Tobacco SMOKE to be some kind of Magical Evil "special" SMOKE.
But SMOKE is SMOKE = Not good for inhalation.

Cheers
I

Reactions: Hitmetwice

BeOne

Jun 8, 2016
Scotland
Hiya,

I watched that program. The bit you are referring to is the results of Micheal vaping for a month. He is a non smoker and never smoked in his life. Obviously, if you are a non smoker you shouldn't take up vaping as there will always be some adverse effects in the lungs. Despite his results showing a decrease in function it was stated to him that it will clear up in no time at all. There also wasn't a comparison to a smoker for this test. Smoking probably is far higher than the 4x that the Doc stated but without any stats it's difficult to say.

During the program a group of 32 individuals were also given tests. One group continued to smoke. Another went cold turkey whilst another on NRT and the last on e-cigs. If you watch it from 48 mins you will see the results for Carbon Monoxide, Acrolein - a carcinogenic, and Nicotine levels in the body. They were all greatly improved in the 3 groups that stopped smoking whatever the method. There was also great improvement in heart function and elasticity. All the results were virtually identical to those of non smokers.

The only test that revealed 'something' was the airway resistance test. However, they didn't show the results for this for some strange reason. I believe it was because there was a reduction but not as much as the Cold Turkey or NRT group. He said they'll continue to investigate and I've also heard him saying, on another program, that they're continuing to monitor all the individuals so I expect a follow up program sometime.

In short. If you smoke. Vaping is very good as a harm reduction and eventually reducing to complete non dependence of the ritual. Obviously,If you don't smoke don't vape.

For those that can't access the program here are a couple of graphs of the results:

Carbon Monoxide:

Acrolein:

Nicotine:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
... For most of our species' history; people spent considerable amounts of time huddled around open fires, breathing in a significant amount of wood etc smoke regularly. The very fact that it takes most people decades of daily smoking before they develop lung cancer etc attests to how resilient the respiratory system is...
Here I disagree with you. Life expectancy of our ancestors was so low... May be bad air played some part in it.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Hey guys,

In my opinion - mouth inhale is much safer. Most of all because of juice consumption (and to some degree because more juice is absorbed in mouth and not reaching lungs).
As far as I know there were no research of subohm vaping. May be most researchers do not yet know it exists - it got popularity less than two years ago.
I just do not believe putting 30 ml of juice in lungs daily is harmless.
I still believe it is much less harmful than smoking, however I am limiting my juice consumption (may be mostly because I want to keep my wife happy, but also because of health considerations).

Reactions: AXIOM_1

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
The guy basically talks about a 400% increase in airway irritation, whilst acknowledging that airway resistance is very minor.
high pg/nic irritates my throat, I do not experience it with max vg/low nic. while the tests they performed do contain some valuable data what they didn't test was a broad spectrum of products on a wide group of people...

There is a lot of studies done on vaping releasing only the most negative data, while perhaps in some people it wasn't an irritant at all only the data showing the extremes are shown to the public, which is why I only trust studies that show a wide range of graphs that include all the data and are peer reviewed by scientists I trust...

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I think birthday cake candles should be banned! Too many children taking a deep inhale through their mouths directly into their lungs, that may actually include smoke, to blow the candles out.

I could say something similar about toasting marshmallows, but open fires are pretty much a thing of the past already.

Reactions: Yiana

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
In my opinion - mouth inhale is much safer. Most of all because of juice consumption (and to some degree because more juice is absorbed in mouth and not reaching lungs).
As far as I know there were no research of subohm vaping. May be most researchers do not yet know it exists - it got popularity less than two years ago.
I just do not believe putting 30 ml of juice in lungs daily is harmless.
I still believe it is much less harmful than smoking, however I am limiting my juice consumption (may be mostly because I want to keep my wife happy, but also because of health considerations).

One can "sub ohm" just fine without going through 30+ ml a day. I'm nowhere near that.

Whatever works for ya dude, but please don't pick up ANTZ attitudes along the way.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Rather that considering whether vaping may be harmful in the long term, consider the jaw erosion, tar filled lungs, shortness of breath. Just some of the on going effects of smoking.

From this point of view i'd say it is quite clear that smoking is infinitely worse for your health than any vaping could ever be. The evidence from a long term smoking habit is all the information you'll ever need to convince you that vaping is a good thing.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Hey guys,

Give up smoking and vaping, it's baaaaaad for you. Buy nicotine base and spread it on your arms so that it soaks in...and start wearing an N95 Mask.

Reactions: AXIOM_1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread