Status
Not open for further replies.

player30

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham AL
I find that I also get them when using juices from certain vendors, and so I have limited my vendors. A suggestion for treatment that has really helped me is Orajel anticeptic rinse.

Best wishes--I feel your pain.

It took me a while, but I made the connection with certain vendors juices and mouth sores.

lolady

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2011
I am on Indian land
The 2 most popular flavors of mouth sores are a Herpes virus (not THAT one, just a less embarrassing but nevertheless annoying relative) and something called "apthous ulcers" that are mysterious, meaning that doctors mumble and aren't sure if they are or not, but think if they say "apthous" you'll be impressed.

The main difference, from a practical standpoint is that the herpes ones are caused by a virus, and can be controlled with acyclovir if they're inside your mouth, and on the outside, over-the-counter Abreva actually works better than acyclovir, for reasons that are mysterious.

Lots of people have the virus, and it can lie dormant for years, decades, and then appear for any or no reason, though stress, emotional or mouthical - as in the dentist visit, where they're pulling on your lips, etc, is notorious for causing flare-ups.

If you tell the dentist you get them, she will just start giving you some acyclovir along with your new toothbrush every time you go.

So the easiest thing to do is to hope it's the virus one, say you think it is, and ask for acyclovir.

Now this is not particularly comforting, but the acyclovir will not necessarily just stop the current attack in its tracks. It can, however, lessen the duration, and it will definitely make Mr Herpes think twice before he pops up again - for a while.

If you have the virus, and it begins acting up, the best way to keep it out of your life is take a course of acyclovir 3-4 times a year for the rest of your life.

If it's apthous ulcers, and NOT Herpes, then the acyclovir will have no effect on it whatsoever, and you will need to ask for steroids.

Of course, if you have diabetes, you can only have topical steroids, not swallow-pill ones, so you're SOL, unless it's outside on your lips, which apthous ulcers seldom, if ever, are.

Either way, ask for a little bottle of lidocaine you can dab on with a Q-tip to control the pain.

There are also special mouthwashes you can get, that are very expensive. The active ingredient almost all of them have in common is called hydrogen peroxide.

You can also buy one of those expensive mouthwashes, or you can buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide for 50 cents at the CVS, mix it with water yourself, and use the $20 you saved to buy more juice or a backup electric hookah-doodle for your Unscheduled Zombie Attack Preparedness Kit (2 if you get them at vapors etc or litecigusa)

Last edited:
Where are the mouth sores? I am just speculating here, but I would imagine that if you accidentally got some liquid on your tongue or in your mouth that might cause sores. If they are uclers could be from lack of sleep like someone else said. If I was you I try to get some good sleep in, and take some vitamin D and C (or get a good dose of sunlight), eat well, and they'll clear up in no time. Oh and plenty of water...

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
Like stated...

New Juice vendor?
Higher PG count?
New flavor? (cinamin, clove, menthol...)
Higher voltage?
Lower resistance carto/atty?
Splashing more juice in your mouth (leaky cart, overfilling, etc)?

Did you finally give up the Analogs?

Or....
Change toothpaste, mouthwash, other oral hygene products? (some contain things that aggrovate mouth sores)
Eating more spicy food?
Eating faster then normal?
Dehydrated?

Only a small list of what could be causing it.

I'll add to that eating an above normal amount of acidic foods (citrus fruits, tomatoes, vinegar).

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Ok, I thought I was the only one with mouth sores or cankers. Sorry for the long post but wanted to give you my experience on this subject.

I quit analogs around May 2010 and started vaping in July 2010 then in September the canker sores came. The sores I am getting are on the inside of my mouth either on the cheek, bottom or top lip close to the lips and they are usually a small-medium white circle type sore. I tried seeing if it was the juice, device, etc. but no matter what I would stop using or new items I try they would always show up again after a few weeks.

This went on for a while and I couldn't even go a full month without any so I started researching and it seemed almost anything can cause it, stress, a small cut in your mouth from food or accidental biting as well cankers are a common side effect from quitting smoking.

So I promised myself that I would finally go to the doctor for a regular checkup as I have never ever been (currently I am 34) and figured it was now or never and had been smoke free for almost a year at this point as well as I wanted to get the Dr.'s take on vaping and these darn cankers.

Well he said there really isn't one cause for cankers and the causes above I mentioned were accurate but also said a major culprit for those who have sensitive mouths was the type of toothpaste you used, which has an ingredient called sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS). He said his wife gets them pretty bad and recommended that I try a different toothpaste called Rebrandt Canker which doesn't have the SLS ingredient and helps his wife 80% of the time. He also thought it was actually cool that I was vaping and was A LOT healthier than smoking and didn't tell me to stop, etc.

I started checking all the major brands of toothpaste and they almost all seem to have this SLS ingredient. He told me I probably couldn't find this Rembrandt toothpaste in regular stores, which I couldn't, so I ordered some from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Rembrandt Premium Whitening Mint Toothpaste with Fluoride, Extra Gentle (For Canker Sore Sufferers) - 3 oz (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care

I also searched Amazon for anything canker remedy related and found some weird looking Bee product that was specific to treat and eliminate canker sores right away vs. the normal 1 to 2 weeks they usually take to go away. I am always skeptical about some all natural cure all formula but the product had about 30 reviews at the time and ALL of them were positive and most were Verified Buyers saying the stuff is amazing and works for them so I figured I would try it:

Amazon.com: Canker-Rid® - Get Immediate Relief and Heal Canker Sores - Restore Your Quality of Life today - GUARANTEED!: Health & Personal Care

So I got some of that too and the instructions were as soon as you notice a canker coming in, which I can tell by that different feeling\taste when I put my tongue on one, to use a drop or two a couple times a day.

It's now been almost 3 months and honestly it's like night and day. I have only had about 3 times where I thought I felt a canker coming in so I used that canker remedy stuff, a few drops a couple times daily, and BAM in 2 to 3 days they were gone. Also during these few days it wasn't like I had the canker, I could tell it was there but no pain like when you have a full blown canker. I am also using the toothpaste.

So in summary, the above is just MY experience and yours could be different. I am not a medical expert nor claim to be as well as I am not affiliated with any of these products (sorry just had to put that in there cause you never know) but I was just a sufferer of horrible cankers and now I am about 90% of the time canker free and the 10% it's just a matter of putting a few drops. The toothpaste isn't bad, like a mint flavor and isn't like medicine toothpaste or anything. Just a fair warning (and it's on the instructions too) those drops though do stain your clothes and fingers if you spill it or drop some accidentally. The best way I find to use the drops is to get a Q-tip, put it right below the canker and place the drops directly on the sore and any excess then goes into the Q-tip. It also has a weird taste but hey I'll take that weird taste anyway vs. painful 2 week canker sores.

Anyhow, hope this is helpful and again it might just be all in my mind but I am not complaining.

Last edited:

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
I had this problem my first week of vaping :/ but seeing as how you've already been vaping for over a year, I don't see why it would come up so suddenly like that. Have you stopped smoking analogs recently? Some people vape and smoke, but I read in a post on here that quitting smoking can cause toxins to exit your inner bloodstream and can cause sores in your mouth. Or something like that. I'm no scientific genius, but that's what I was told xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread