Mouth Ulcers, PG vs VG, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
Thanks Jammin for ALL the information! I am suffering with them terribly and really hope it is not the PG as I am a throat-hit type of gal! I'm gonna try the tooth paste you suggested and lots of B-12!

Best of luck! I hope it works for you like it did me. I was amazed that once I made the switch, the sores disappeared. And without fail, when I run out and have to use my boyfriend's Crest, I get one almost by the next day.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
WOH, if not biotene, there are some in the Sensodyne line that doesn't have SLS.

*Never knew of it until my son started getting cankers. Switched toothpaste and it was all good.

I have not been able to find Sensodyne without SLS yet. Maybe they make one that doesn't have it, but I have not found it. Sensodyne will also cause me to get ulcers. To anyone else reading, I wouldn't suggest using it unless there is no type of SLS (sodium laureth or laurel sulfate) in it.

4mehealth, do you know what specific type of Sensodyne this was that you found without it? I'd like to find an alternate brand myself for times when I am in a store that is out of biotene or doesnt carry it.

Ellie_onVG

Feb 18, 2012
Here and There
Wow, I had no idea mouth sores were so common to vaping. I have a bad one right now. I know it's from a bridgeless low resistance atty I tried out for a week. It not only shot hot juice into my mouth, but this atty had lower resistance than I thought I'd ordered .. so the vape was much hotter than what's good for me. Just for info .. I only direct drip and only use 100% VG juice (ecopure).

I just checked my toothpaste (have been using this brand forever) and it does NOT contain SLS. It says so in big letters on the tube. It's made by "Kiss My Face" and is available in health food stores. Some drugstores in my area carry it too.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
Wow, I had no idea mouth sores were so common to vaping. I have a bad one right now. I know it's from a bridgeless low resistance atty I tried out for a week. It not only shot hot juice into my mouth, but this atty had lower resistance than I thought I'd ordered .. so the vape was much hotter than what's good for me. Just for info .. I only direct drip and only use 100% VG juice (ecopure).

I just checked my toothpaste (have been using this brand forever) and it does NOT contain SLS. It says so in big letters on the tube. It's made by "Kiss My Face" and is available in health food stores. Some drugstores in my area carry it too.

Your canker sore sounds like it might be a one time issue and caused from the contact with the juice, and the heat, and not from the irritation of the SLS since your toothpaste doesn't have it. Great to hear other toothpastes out there are making non SLS brands. My drugstores don't carry it, but maybe the concept will catch on and more companies will make brands without it.

I have never had any problems with sores from vaping either VG or PG juice...but for the past few days I have been vaping a lot of Fire and Ice (Cinnamon mixed with menthol) and the roof of my mouth is very sore and covered in red spots. Today I took some puffs from a Black Tobacco juice and all was fine. But as soon as I hit the Fire and Ice my mouth instantly hurt so it does have something to do with the cinnamon for me...which sucks because that juice is so damn good! It didn't give me any reaction for the first few days so I think if I just vape it as a treat instead of my all day vape I will be ok.

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
I got sores for a few months about 6 months ago. I was using cartos at the time, and they stopped after I switched to bridgless lr attys... The opposite of the above post, lol... My attys don't spit juice ever though, at least none makes it through the drip tip.

Using salt in warm water to swish with after brushing may also help keep sores away.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I have never had any problems with sores from vaping either VG or PG juice...but for the past few days I have been vaping a lot of Fire and Ice (Cinnamon mixed with menthol) and the roof of my mouth is very sore and covered in red spots. Today I took some puffs from a Black Tobacco juice and all was fine. But as soon as I hit the Fire and Ice my mouth instantly hurt so it does have something to do with the cinnamon for me...which sucks because that juice is so damn good! It didn't give me any reaction for the first few days so I think if I just vape it as a treat instead of my all day vape I will be ok.

It doesn't sound like you have a propensity to get mouth ulcers after quitting smoking like some of us, it sounds more like juices like cinnamon are too harsh for you. As much as you like cinnamon probably best to just treat it, like you said, as a 'treat' only once in a while.

I find that when I am out of Biotene and have to use regular toothpaste, I STILL develop a dreaded canker. It's been long enough now that I can safely pinpoint the problem to toothpastes with SLS being the catalyst, at least in my case. The downside is that because Biotene does not foam up like regular toothpastes I wonder if the flouride protection getting in between the teeth will eventually be a problem. Just in case I have been using ACT as a rinse to help get more flouride in between the teeth since mine are pretty crowded. ACT doesn't seem to have SLS and so far has not caused any probs. Knock on wood! LOL

darkavenger

Oct 8, 2011
USA
This is a great topic! Someone should condense this and add it to the 'list of symptoms when quitting' sticky ;)

I've had a few issues with mouth ulcers over the last 9 month although not recently, mostly in the first 3 or so months. It just so happens I have one right now, hence why I stumbled on this!

I've been reading and I wanted to add some thoughts to the subject. I know for me that there are a few factors in causing mouth ulcers, however since I settled on my current setup I rarely get them anymore. The first and most important issue I've found is keeping air flow easy in my cart/carto/tank. I personally use Boge LR cartos because they are short and an easy drag but still hit hard. Every cart/carto/tank I've tried that has resistance to air flow has ended with mouth ulcers. This isn't to say that there aren't many other perfectly suitable carts etc. but if your cheeks are sucking in when you drag and your getting mouth ulcers, try changing to something with better air flow.

The second thing is the mentioned toothpaste, I realize now that I just switched mine after I ran out of sensodyne about three weeks ago. This seems like a great preventative measure for people with recurring problems.

The two issues above are linked in a way, the root cause is tissue damage in the cheek, whether it be from SLS or your tooth rubbing your cheek. This damage can be the starting point for canker sores or mouth ulcers.

There is one more issue that relates to this, dry mouth. It's a common side effect of vaping and can act as a catalyst for the other two issues, increasing severity of damage and the chances of those damages evolving into ulcers. It's important to stay hydrated! Another simple solution is to try chewing gum as this increases saliva flow. Try a sugar free gum with xylitol for the sweetener.

Although I've never had an issue with PG vs VG, I do use 100% VG almost all of the time. This really isn't to prevent sores, it just so happens my favorite juice comes that way ;) But I thought I should disclose the information.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I had canker sores constantly until I switched to 100% VG. I also got huge, painful acne from PG...and tightness in my chest...and coughing fits...and... I think you get my drift. PG and I do NOT get along. In fact, I think we're finding more and more that PG and a good many people don't get along.

Anyone who is vaping PG and has any health issues whatsoever should try switching to VG. Just my humble opinion.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
This is a great topic! Someone should condense this and add it to the 'list of symptoms when quitting' sticky ;)

I've had a few issues with mouth ulcers over the last 9 month although not recently, mostly in the first 3 or so months. It just so happens I have one right now, hence why I stumbled on this!

I've been reading and I wanted to add some thoughts to the subject. I know for me that there are a few factors in causing mouth ulcers, however since I settled on my current setup I rarely get them anymore. The first and most important issue I've found is keeping air flow easy in my cart/carto/tank. I personally use Boge LR cartos because they are short and an easy drag but still hit hard. Every cart/carto/tank I've tried that has resistance to air flow has ended with mouth ulcers. This isn't to say that there aren't many other perfectly suitable carts etc. but if your cheeks are sucking in when you drag and your getting mouth ulcers, try changing to something with better air flow.

The second thing is the mentioned toothpaste, I realize now that I just switched mine after I ran out of sensodyne about three weeks ago. This seems like a great preventative measure for people with recurring problems.

The two issues above are linked in a way, the root cause is tissue damage in the cheek, whether it be from SLS or your tooth rubbing your cheek. This damage can be the starting point for canker sores or mouth ulcers.

There is one more issue that relates to this, dry mouth. It's a common side effect of vaping and can act as a catalyst for the other two issues, increasing severity of damage and the chances of those damages evolving into ulcers. It's important to stay hydrated! Another simple solution is to try chewing gum as this increases saliva flow. Try a sugar free gum with xylitol for the sweetener.

Although I've never had an issue with PG vs VG, I do use 100% VG almost all of the time. This really isn't to prevent sores, it just so happens my favorite juice comes that way ;) But I thought I should disclose the information.

GREAT POST! And i agree with you about dry mouth. It seems there is a strong correlation with people who suffer from this who get canker sores, and particularly with vaping drying out the mouth and even being a dehydrator. The Biotene I mentioned in initial thread was formulated for dry mouth syndrome, so I think it's effects are a twofold win for the vaper: 1) no SLS which is a win and 2) it helps combat dry mouth.

Since my initial opening post on this thread I have had one or two tiny canker sores but I have found that their duration was much lower than before. BUT, a bad side effect that I have recently experienced is my last trip to the dentist he found tiny cavities starting in a few teeth. I think that the low sudsing action of this toothpaste is not adequate for good flouride penetration, so I am going to invest in a sonic toothbrush and see if that helps. Oh the saga continues! LOL I will let everyone know if the soniccare toothbrush brings improvement in the delivery of flouride in between the nooks and crannies of the teeth.

coolone1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Spring, TX
I have had a bad round of cancor sores. It seemed to start when I changed my liquid flavor but I also changed my toothpaste at the same time. I went to the DR. and talked about the cancor sores. Right away he recommended a blood test to see if a vitamin deficiency was the cause. I found this thread and started to think about the change of toothpaste. I have stopped the toothpaste that I was using and the cancor sores have stopped. This thread was the reason that I tried to pin the cause down. Jammin I looked for the ingredient that you mentioned in your posts and low and behold there it was. Thank you for the information.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I have had a bad round of cancor sores. It seemed to start when I changed my liquid flavor but I also changed my toothpaste at the same time. I went to the DR. and talked about the cancor sores. Right away he recommended a blood test to see if a vitamin deficiency was the cause. I found this thread and started to think about the change of toothpaste. I have stopped the toothpaste that I was using and the cancor sores have stopped. This thread was the reason that I tried to pin the cause down. Jammin I looked for the ingredient that you mentioned in your posts and low and behold there it was. Thank you for the information.

To this day, two years later, if I get a toothpaste with SLS listed as I can't find the stuff I normally use without fail I get a canker sore, so i know there is some correlation.

So for me, keeping away from toothpastes with the caustic ingredient SLS will be a mainstay for me. Canker sores hurt!

I am very happy if this thread can help others eliminate canker sores after quitting smoking by also eliminating toothpaste with SlS. Dentists are reluctant to share this info because the toothpaste they get from their vendors to give out for free samples (and kickbacks to them ) often contain SLS, so we can't even look to our doctors to be a solution in most cases.

Last edited:

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
. . .My second reason for posting is to ask - which is better for this ? PG or VG? I have been using Joye PG, but is VG perhaps a better alternative for a person who has suffered from recurrent ulcers after switching to ECigs? I never had these issues with mouth ulcers before, I am convinced it is from the ECig - maybe it isn't and entirely separate - but it seems too big of a coincendence they didnt start til I threw my analogs in the trash and switched.

Jammin,
I get um too. Read a med school study claimed 60% of everyone that quits smoking tobacco will get mouth ulcers. They claimed vaping wasn't relavent. But, my experience, when I vape I get um, when I stop, they go away. Seems directly related to vaping too me. I did tests, I have fewer ulcers, and they take longer to show up, when I vape 50/50 PG/VG. And, the higher the VG % the less severe the ulcer probem. I don't have much luck with 100% VG, but greater than 50% works for me. We really need somebody to do "Rat studies", We're all test "Lab Rats" at this point. Try increasing your VG % and see if it HELPS your ulceration problem. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I have had mouth sores off and on for the last year. But in the last month it has been particularly bad with the sores mostly on the tongue, one right after the other. I took your advices, Jammin and bought the biotene toothpaste (PBF Dry Mouth with fluoride) just two days ago and started using it. I also bought the biotine oral balance dry mouth moisturizer gel.

I use to vape 100% PG (which I prefer) but started mixing it with VG to about a 70%/30% mix about a month ago. That didn't seem to help but I may have not given it enough time. I'm now trying 100% VG (about 3 days now) and see what happens.

I switched from atomizers to cartos about a year and half ago, then to dual coil cartos about a year ago and then to dual coil tank cartos about 5 - 6 months ago. The sores have gotten worse over that time frame but I can't see how the change in delivery method could cause the problem. Since I buy my eliquid in large enough quantity to last 2 -3 months, I was wondering if I just got a bad batch of eliquid. There are just too many variables. I vaped 100% PG for about 2 years and for the first year and a half rarely got a mouth sore. Would it really take that long to develop if PG was the problem?? I've also wondered if whatever they use for flavorings could be part of the problem.

I just made a small order of eliquid from a new supplier, some in 60%/40% PG/VG and some in 100% VG. If I can aquire a taste for their eliquid I can see if that makes a difference. Again, all these variables are a problem.

My most recent outbreak has been almost exclusively on the tongue vs the cheek/gums. Does this happen to anyone else?

I have found that after getting a sore, if I use Colgate Peroxyl mouth rinse for mouth sores they do heal more quickly.

Well I appreciate this thread and just thought I would add my two cents. If this doesn't clear up, I'm seriously thinking about phasing out vaping, which I should probably do anyway just to cut costs and give my mouth/lungs a break. Ofcourse that is easier said than done.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
This is a nifty thread. Will give the toothpaste information to my sister she doesn't vape or smoke, but gets canker sores. My dad quit cold turkey for a while last year and had problems and it was his body healing. He got fed up and started smoking again. Just kind of curious have any of you tried L-lysine for your canker sores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread