Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hey kids, looks like we've hit the century mark! Here is Movie Quiz # 100.

Enjoy!

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_102.jpg

Last edited:

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, a day late and a dollar short! Well, a day late, anyway... :D

#1: Two slacker friends try to promote their public-access cable show. In this scene, they're the two characters half cut off in the screenshot, and they're singing along to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody."

#2: This 2011 film, which took home 5 Oscars including Best Picture, tells the story of a silent movie star who meets a young dancer, but the arrival of talking pictures sends their careers in opposite directions.

#3: In this movie, Wynona Ryder plays the main character, Susanna, who is depressed and directionless after finishing high school in the late 1960's. A suicide attempt lands her in Claymore, a mental institution. There, she befriends the band of troubled women in her ward but falls under the hypnotic sway of Lisa, (Angelina Jolie, in the screenshot), the wildest and most hardened of the bunch.

#4: Patrick Fugit (center of the screenshot), plays William Miller, a 15-year-old kid hired by Rolling Stone magazine to tour with and write about Stillwater, an up and coming rock band. This 2000 film is a semi-autobiographical story, written and directed by former Rolling Stone writer Cameron Crowe.

Hope these helped!

movie-quiz_102_1-4.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Yarrr, here be yer hints!

#5: The town of Rock Ridge is in the way of the railroad. Hedley Lemar, a corrupt political boss played by Harvey Korman, sends in his henchmen ransack the town and drive off the residents. After the sheriff is killed, the town demands a new sheriff from the Governor, who sends them the first Black sheriff in the west, a railroad worker named Bart, (Cleavon Little, in the screenshot with Gene Wilder).

#6: A professional book reader for a publishing company must endure the dog days of a New York summer alone while his wife and son find themselves on a oceanside resort without a paddle. To pass the lonely hours, the overly-imaginative book reader fantasizes about a young model, (played by Marilyn Monroe), who is lodging temporarily in the apartment upstairs.

#7: A man finds he is given more than he bargains for when he solves the puzzle of the Lament Configuration - a doorway to hell. But his ex-lover has found a way of bringing him back, and his niece, Kirsty Lawrence, finds herself bargaining with the Cenobites, angels to some, demons to others, whose greatest pleasure is the greatest pain.

#8: On the night of her wedding, Justine is struggling to be happy even though it should be the happiest day of her life. It was an extravagant wedding paid for by her sister and brother-in-law who are trying to keep the bride and all the guests in-line. Meanwhile, a blue planet is hurtling towards the Earth. Claire, Justine's sister, is struggling to maintain composure with fear of the impending disaster.

Answers coming on Sunday!

movie-quiz_102_5-8.jpg

Reactions: FantWriter

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: Wayne's World
Two slacker friends try to promote their public-access cable show. In this scene, they're the two characters half cut off in the screenshot, and they're singing along to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody."

waynes-world_1_sm.jpg

#2: The Artist
This 2011 film, which took home 5 Oscars including Best Picture, tells the story of a silent movie star who meets a young dancer, but the arrival of talking pictures sends their careers in opposite directions.

the-artist_6_sm.jpg

#3: Girl Interrupted
In this movie, Wynona Ryder plays the main character, Susanna, who is depressed and directionless after finishing high school in the late 1960's. A suicide attempt lands her in Claymore, a mental institution. There, she befriends the band of troubled women in her ward but falls under the hypnotic sway of Lisa, (Angelina Jolie, in the screenshot), the wildest and most hardened of the bunch.

girl-interrupted_1_sm.jpg

#4: Almost Famous
Patrick Fugit (center of the screenshot), plays William Miller, a 15-year-old kid hired by Rolling Stone magazine to tour with and write about Stillwater, an up and coming rock band. This 2000 film is a semi-autobiographical story, written and directed by former Rolling Stone writer Cameron Crowe.

almost-famous_4_sm.jpg

#5: Blazing Saddles
The town of Rock Ridge is in the way of the railroad. Hedley Lemar, a corrupt political boss played by Harvey Korman, sends in his henchmen ransack the town and drive off the residents. After the sheriff is killed, the town demands a new sheriff from the Governor, who sends them the first Black sheriff in the west, a railroad worker named Bart, (Cleavon Little, in the screenshot with Gene Wilder).

blazing-saddles_3_sm.jpg

#6: The Seven Year Itch
A professional book reader for a publishing company must endure the dog days of a New York summer alone while his wife and son find themselves on a oceanside resort without a paddle. To pass the lonely hours, the overly-imaginative book reader fantasizes about a young model, (played by Marilyn Monroe), who is lodging temporarily in the apartment upstairs.

the-seven-year-itch_2_sm.jpg

#7: Hellraiser
A man finds he is given more than he bargains for when he solves the puzzle of the Lament Configuration - a doorway to hell. But his ex-lover has found a way of bringing him back, and his niece, Kirsty Lawrence, finds herself bargaining with the Cenobites, angels to some, demons to others, whose greatest pleasure is the greatest pain.

hellraiser_3_sm.jpg

#8: Melancholia
On the night of her wedding, Justine is struggling to be happy even though it should be the happiest day of her life. It was an extravagant wedding paid for by her sister and brother-in-law who are trying to keep the bride and all the guests in-line. Meanwhile, a blue planet is hurtling towards the Earth. Claire, Justine's sister, is struggling to maintain composure with fear of the impending disaster.

melancholia_1_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
The Artist was a movie I really didn't have much interest in seeing. But, when it won all those Oscars, I decided I'd toss it into my Netflix queue and maybe I'd find out what the hubbub was about. Flash forward three-plus years: the DVD finally made its way to the top of the queue and arrived, unexpectedly, in my mailbox. However, I still wasn't anything like excited about watching the film. So, the DVD sat in its Netflix envelope, unwatched, on the stand next to my TV for almost three months. Ultimately, upon deciding it was well-beyond time to either watch it or ship it back, I opted to pop it into the player and check it out.

It was with this sh**-or-get-off-the-pot attitude that I began watching the movie. Expectations lowered, almost feeling like I was undertaking a chore, the movie got underway and almost immediately flipped my mood and changed my mind. The Artist is really an excellent film, and that's not a word I often use to describe movies. It's not a groundbreaking, landmark film, and the story isn't particularly original. But it has lovely cinematography, superb acting, and the story is wonderfully engaging.

Highly recommended to anybody who loves movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread