Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, part 2:

#5: Fifteen years ago, six year old Michael Myers brutally killed his older sister. The silent child was committed to a sanitarium under the care of psychiatrist Sam Loomis. The town of Haddonfield had slowly begun to forget the tragic crime, until Loomis returned to the town to warn of Myers escape. With Michael set on killing a group of high school students, Loomis seeks the help of the hesitant town sheriff to stop him before it's too late.

#6: Five college students head off for a weekend at a secluded cottage. They arrive to find they are quite isolated with no means of communicating with the outside world. When the cellar door flings itself open, they of course go down to investigate. They find an odd assortment of relics and curios, but when one of the women, Dana, reads from a book, she awakens a family of deadly zombie killers. However, there's far more going on than meets the eye.

#7: Times are tough in a Chicago real-estate office; the salesmen are given a strong incentive by management to succeed in a sales contest. The prizes? First prize is a Cadillac El Dorado, second prize is a set of steak knives, third prize is the sack! There is no room for losers in this dramatically masculine world; only "closers" will get the good sales leads. There is a lot of pressure to succeed, so a robbery is committed which has unforeseen consequences for all the characters.

#8: In this H.P. Lovecraft tale, Herbert West is a Swiss scientist who has discovered a fluid which brings dead tissue back to life. After the suspicious death of his professor in Switzerland, West moves to Miskatonic University to continue his research. He involves fellow student Dan Cain and his fiancée Megan Halsey in his research by experimenting on their dead cat. Dan, fascinated by West's research, agrees to smuggle him into the hospital morgue with predictable results.

Answers coming tomorrow night.

movie-quiz_107.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: Rope
In this classic 1948 thriller, two young men strangle their "inferior" classmate, hide his body in their apartment, and invite his friends and family to a dinner party as a means to challenge the "perfection" of their crime.

rope_3_sm.jpg

#2: Gone Girl
Nick and Amy Dunne are a couple living in a small town in Missouri. Nick calls the authorities when his wife goes missing, but something is off about his behavior. Is he hiding something? Is he sad or distraught enough? While the police continue their investigation, Nick is battling a media frenzy and the people who believe his innocence is dwindling by the minute.

gone-girl_1_sm.jpg

#3: Kingsman: The Secret Service
An elite, secret British spy organization recruits an unrefined, but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program, just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.

kingsman-the-secret-service_4_sm.jpg

#4: Desperately Seeking Susan
Bored suburban housewife Roberta passes the time following the progress of a free-spirited New York City drifter named Susan, who regularly contacts her boyfriend through the personal ads in the newspaper. She heads off to New York following one of the ads, accidentally gets hit on the head, and wakes up with amnesia. She is soon mistaken for Susan, and becomes unwittingly entangled in a web of trouble.

desperately-seeking-susan_1_sm.jpg

#5: Halloween
Fifteen years ago, six year old Michael Myers brutally killed his older sister. The silent child was committed to a sanitarium under the care of psychiatrist Sam Loomis. The town of Haddonfield had slowly begun to forget the tragic crime, until Loomis returned to the town to warn of Myers escape. With Michael set on killing a group of high school students, Loomis seeks the help of the hesitant town sheriff to stop him before it's too late.

halloween_3_sm.jpg

#6: The Cabin in the Woods
Five college students head off for a weekend at a secluded cottage. They arrive to find they are quite isolated with no means of communicating with the outside world. When the cellar door flings itself open, they of course go down to investigate. They find an odd assortment of relics and curios, but when one of the women, Dana, reads from a book, she awakens a family of deadly zombie killers. However, there's far more going on than meets the eye.

the-cabin-in-the-woods_5_sm.jpg

#7: Glengarry Glen Ross
Times are tough in a Chicago real-estate office; the salesmen are given a strong incentive by management to succeed in a sales contest. The prizes? First prize is a Cadillac El Dorado, second prize is a set of steak knives, third prize is the sack! There is no room for losers in this dramatically masculine world; only "closers" will get the good sales leads. There is a lot of pressure to succeed, so a robbery is committed which has unforeseen consequences for all the characters.

glengarry-glen-ross_2_sm.jpg

#8: Re-Animator
In this H.P. Lovecraft tale, Herbert West is a Swiss scientist who has discovered a fluid which brings dead tissue back to life. After the suspicious death of his professor in Switzerland, West moves to Miskatonic University to continue his research. He involves fellow student Dan Cain and his fiancée Megan Halsey in his research by experimenting on their dead cat. Dan, fascinated by West's research, agrees to smuggle him into the hospital morgue with predictable results.

re-animator_1_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :thumbs:

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
So would you recommend either 6 or 8, caff? Horror camp can be fun sometimes. Don't judge me--I had a friend who seriously urged me to read Gone Girl...novel was lots better than the movie. Husband in the novel wasn't at all like Ben Affleck portrayal of him. Jeez, I'm SO annoying :rolleyes:!

Thanks, again, for a fun quiz, caff!!

Reactions: caffeinated

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
The Cabin in the Woods is a pretty cool movie with a couple of unique twists. I bought the Blu-ray sight unseen, based on recommendations from a couple of friends who know my taste, and I've enjoyed the movie every time I've watched it. I don't really think it qualifies as campy, though.

Re-Animator, on the other hand, is definitely campy and is a pretty fun flick, IMO.

Reactions: beckyblue

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Seen Gone Girl (and liked it) and still couldn't get it with the clue. Disappointed in myself on that one. Not getting Halloween is a bit disappointing but never was a big fan of it, and it's been like 20 years since I watched it. Thought the picture clue was a spoof horror film, to be honest.

If I had really obvious, dead give away clues for 3, 6 and 8, I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't have gotten them. But at least 2 of them interest me.

Rope is a top 3 favorite (of Hitchcock films) for me. I like that it's shot with essentially one camera shot, among other things that make it a great film / narrative.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Regarding Gone Girl: I watched this one on-demand, having somehow managed to avoid hearing about any spoilers, and came away very impressed. That's due largely to the story being quite different from what I expected. To the filmmaker's credit, though, they did a pretty good job of avoiding formulaic pitfalls as well.

It is with a small amount of shame that I admit that I only just recently saw Rope for the first time. When I popped the DVD into my player, I was hugely disappointed to find that I’d apparently received a colorized version! I shook my fist at the sky, cursing Ted Turner and his contemptible colorization antics, as well as Netflix for not mentioning in the movie’s description that it was colorized.

Nonetheless, I watched the movie, purposely tempering my enjoyment by periodically reminding myself that “Dammit, this would be so much better in black and white!

Only afterward did I learn that it was actually shot in color originally... :blush:

Reactions: beckyblue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread