Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Ready...

Set...

Quiz!

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_99.jpg

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Wow! Either I'm getting better, or you're not challenging us like you used to -- I know 4 of them!

1, 6, 7, and 8.

I've haven't actually watched # 1, but it's recognizable because of clips and adverts.
I wish I could say I haven't watched # 7. I assure you it wasn't by choice.

6 is an absolute classic. I can't imagine anyone not knowing it.

8 was a very good movie despite my not usually liking the white guy pictured (his stand-up is fantastic, his personal appearance great, but he always lets me down when he does a movie).

I suspect I know # 4, but I haven't watched it and doubt I ever will.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Wow! Either I'm getting better, or you're not challenging us like you used to -- I know 4 of them!
Well done! :toast:

I wish I could say I haven't watched # 7. I assure you it wasn't by choice.
That's a little bit harsh, IMO. Granted, it's not exactly masterful cinema, but I thought it was pretty entertaining. Certainly worth the 90-ish minute investment.

6 is an absolute classic. I can't imagine anyone not knowing it.
I absolutely agree with the first statement. Regarding the rest, I think you give people too much credit! :)

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
That's a little bit harsh, IMO. Granted, it's not exactly masterful cinema, but I thought it was pretty entertaining. Certainly worth the 90-ish minute investment.

It's as good a movie as its setting and plot allow. I just don't like movies set in that area of human activity, and after about twenty minutes, I knew exactly what was going to happen next. Sometimes I was off by a scene or two (not precisely the 'next' plot point or the plot arcs shown in different order than I anticipated), but it was all there as I knew it would be.

I absolutely agree with the first statement. Regarding the rest, I think you give people too much credit!

I never give anyone credit. I always demand cash up front. ;)

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints!

#1: Ralph Fiennes is the seated gentleman in the screenshot from this visually decadent, comedic adventure directed by Wes Anderson. It was nominated for 9 Oscars this year, including Best Picture and Best Director. Although the film didn't win those particular awards, it did take home 4 Oscars in other categories.

#2: The novel this movie is based on was also the inspiration for the Nirvana song "Scentless Apprentice." In the film, Dustin Hoffman's character, (Giuseppe Baldini, on the left), permits the young man on the right to become his apprentice. What Baldini doesn't know, is that the young man is a murderer... on his way to becoming a serial killer.

#3: Doesn't this look like something out of a bad dream? You know, like when you're trying to flee from something terrifying up a flight of stairs, but you just can't seem to move quickly enough? Nine, ten, never sleep again... :D

#4: If the totally obvious screenshot isn't enough to give this movie title away, try singing to yourself...... ♫ Everything is awesome... Everything is cool when you're part of a team...

Hope these help! :)

movie-quiz_99_1-4.jpg

Last edited:

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Sorry I've been neglecting the thread. I started building a new PC for my kids Friday night, and I ran into a couple of show-stopping snags when it came time to transfer their data to the new build. Needless to say, there was much gnashing of teeth and under-breath muttering, along with an inappropriate amount of cursing, but after tonight the problem should be solved, and things should be mostly back to normal.

Anyway, on with the hints!

#5: The redneck boy pictured on the porch is playing the banjo part of the song, "Dueling Banjos." Standing below him is actor Ronny Cox, playing the guitar portion of the song. This 1972 John Boorman feature also stars Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, and Ned Beatty.

#6: This 1954 Hitchcock mystery features James Stewart as a photographer who, having become housebound thanks to a severely broken leg, soon discovers how easy it is to become a neighborhood busybody. While observing his neighbors in the buildings around the courtyard outside his apartment window, he witnesses some suspicious goings-on.

#7: Despite a couple of folks having chimed in here about having seen this movie, it's actually pretty likely that most haven't. It tells the true-but-embellished story of Doug Smith, a minor league hockey "enforcer," and is based on his biography.

#8: Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines play Chicago cops in this 1986 action/comedy. Having grown weary of putting their lives on the line in the violent inner city, they're planning to retire to Key West and open a bar. But they're drawn back into the fire by the lure of one last criminal they need to bust, (played by Jimmy Smits).

Hope these helped!

movie-quiz_99_5-8.jpg

Last edited:

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ralph Fiennes is the seated gentleman in the screenshot from this visually decadent, comedic adventure directed by Wes Anderson. It was nominated for 9 Oscars this year, including Best Picture and Best Director. Although the film didn't win those particular awards, it did take home 4 Oscars in other categories.

the-grand-budapest-hotel_4_sm.jpg

#2: Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
The novel this movie is based on was also the inspiration for the Nirvana song "Scentless Apprentice." In the film, Dustin Hoffman's character, (Giuseppe Baldini, on the left), permits the young man on the right to become his apprentice. What Baldini doesn't know, is that the young man is a murderer... on his way to becoming a serial killer.

perfume-the-story-of-a-murderer_1_sm.jpg

#3: A Nightmare on Elm Street
Doesn't this look like something out of a bad dream? You know, like when you're trying to flee from something terrifying up a flight of stairs, but you just can't seem to move quickly enough? Nine, ten, never sleep again...

a-nightmare-on-elm-street_2_sm.jpg

#4: The Lego Movie
If the totally obvious screenshot isn't enough to give this movie title away, try singing to yourself...... ♫ Everything is awesome... Everything is cool when you're part of a team...

the-lego-movie_1_sm.jpg

#5: Deliverance
The redneck boy pictured on the porch is playing the banjo part of the song, "Dueling Banjos." Standing below him is actor Ronny Cox, playing the guitar portion of the song. This 1972 John Boorman feature also stars Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, and Ned Beatty.

deliverance_2_sm.jpg

#6: Rear Window
This 1954 Hitchcock mystery features James Stewart as a photographer who, having become housebound thanks to a severely broken leg, soon discovers how easy it is to become a neighborhood busybody. While observing his neighbors in the buildings around the courtyard outside his apartment window, he witnesses some suspicious goings-on.

rear-window_1_sm.jpg

#7: Goon
Despite a couple of folks having chimed in here about having seen this movie, it's actually pretty likely that most haven't. It tells the true-but-embellished story of Doug Smith, a minor league hockey "enforcer," and is based on his biography.

goon_1_sm.jpg

#8: Running Scared
Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines play Chicago cops in this 1986 action/comedy. Having grown weary of putting their lives on the line in the violent inner city, they're planning to retire to Key West and open a bar. But they're drawn back into the fire by the lure of one last criminal they need to bust, (played by Jimmy Smits).

running-scared_2_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
I haven't got a new movie quiz prepped yet, but I've at least been been thinking about it. :)

The problem is that movie-watching time has been kind of scarce lately, and that's what usually provides the impetus for making up quizzes. There has just been a confluence of other, time consuming video distractions soaking up my viewing time over the last several weeks, including:

Season three of The Americans starting up
Season three of Bates Motel starting up
Season one of The Returned starting up
Season 5.5 of The Walking Dead
Both the Bruins and Celtics fighting for a spot in their respective playoffs

Funny, I often think of myself as a person who doesn't watch a whole lot of TV. Looking at what I've just typed above, I may need to reconsider that position. :D

No matter, it's been a few weeks since the last quiz was posted, so I'll plan to put a new one together over the coming weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread