Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Ladies and gentlemen, for your entertainment and amusement, I present you with Movie Quiz number 98. :)

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_100.jpg

Reactions: beckyblue

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
I got lazy and totally cheated on these hints! They're taken almost verbatim from each movie's IMDB listing. Sorry! .
forum_shrug.gif

#1: In 1982, a massive star ship bearing a bedraggled alien population appeared over Johannesburg, South Africa. Twenty-eight years later, the initial welcome by the human population has faded. The refugee camp where the aliens were located has deteriorated into a militarized ghetto where the "The Prawns" are confined and exploited in squalor. The name of this ghetto is the name of the film.

#2: A passenger ship, on her way to the scrap yard is pushed to her limits by the new owners to save on the dismantling fees. A tidal wave hits her, flipping her over so that all the internal rooms are upside down. A priest takes a mixed band of survivors on a journey through the bowels of the ship in an attempt to survive.

#3: All Scarlett Johansson's character had to do was deliver a mysterious briefcase to Mr. Jang. But immediately she is caught up in a nightmarish deal where she is captured and turned into a drug mule for a new and powerful synthetic drug. When the bag she is carrying inside of her stomach leaks, her body undergoes unimaginable changes that begins to unlock her mind's full potential.

#4: White Goodman (Ben Stiller, in the screenshot), is the owner and founder of Globo Gym, and would love nothing more than owning Average Joe's Gymnasium. Peter LaFleur, played by Vince Vaughn, doesn't want to lose his gym to Goodman, but can't find a way to get $50,000 in time. Peter and his gang of gym buddies think of ways to raise money, finally settling on winning a tournament. That tournament's sport is (primarily) the title of this movie.

Hope these helped!

movie-quiz_100_1-4.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Thanks for the great quiz! And it doesn't matter where the hints come from.
Thanks, FantWriter. :)

Hints part two: The better-late-than-never edition, featuring more lifted-from-IMDB clues! . :D

#5: Set in the near future, a retired catburglar (played by Frank Langella) lives alone while his successful son, Hunter, tries to care for him from afar. Finally, Hunter gets him a robot caretaker, but Langella's character soon learns that it is useful as a burglary aide. As he tries to restart his old profession, he is forced to come to grips with the uncomfortable realities of a changing world and his worsening dementia.

#6: A psychopath known as Buffalo Bill is kidnapping and murdering young women across the Midwest. Believing it takes one to know one, the F.B.I. sends Agent Clarice Starling to interview a demented prisoner who may provide psychological insight and clues to the killer's actions. The prisoner is psychiatrist, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant, murderous cannibal who will only help Starling if she feeds his morbid curiosity with details about her own complicated life.

#7: An asbestos abatement crew wins the bid to clean up an abandoned mental institution. What should be a straightforward, if rather rushed, job, is complicated by the personal histories of the crew. In particular, Hank is dating Phil's old girlfriend, and Gordon's new baby seems to be unnerving him more than should be expected. Meanwhile, Mike, a law school dropout, becomes obsessed with listening through a found box of taped psychotherapy meetings involving a patient with multiple personalities.

#8: A dying Emperor Marcus Aurelius plans to name his loyal and brave General Maximus as his successor in order to restore the power of the Roman Senate. However, his power-hungry, jealous son Commodus learns of the plan, murders Marcus Aurelius, and plans to execute Maximus in order to secure his claim to the throne. Maximus escapes execution, but is sold into slavery and is forced to become a participant in the battle games at the Roman Colosseum.

Hope these helped!

movie-quiz_100_5-8.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: District 9
In 1982, a massive star ship bearing a bedraggled alien population appeared over Johannesburg, South Africa. Twenty-eight years later, the initial welcome by the human population has faded. The refugee camp where the aliens were located has deteriorated into a militarized ghetto where the "The Prawns" are confined and exploited in squalor. The name of this ghetto is the name of the film.

district-9_2_sm.jpg

#2: The Poseidon Adventure
A passenger ship, on her way to the scrap yard is pushed to her limits by the new owners to save on the dismantling fees. A tidal wave hits her, flipping her over so that all the internal rooms are upside down. A priest takes a mixed band of survivors on a journey through the bowels of the ship in an attempt to survive.

the-poseidon-adventure_3_sm.jpg

#3: Lucy
All Scarlett Johansson's character had to do was deliver a mysterious briefcase to Mr. Jang. But immediately she is caught up in a nightmarish deal where she is captured and turned into a drug mule for a new and powerful synthetic drug. When the bag she is carrying inside of her stomach leaks, her body undergoes unimaginable changes that begins to unlock her mind's full potential.

lucy_2_sm.jpg

#4: Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
White Goodman (Ben Stiller, in the screenshot), is the owner and founder of Globo Gym, and would love nothing more than owning Average Joe's Gymnasium. Peter LaFleur, played by Vince Vaughn, doesn't want to lose his gym to Goodman, but can't find a way to get $50,000 in time. Peter and his gang of gym buddies think of ways to raise money, finally settling on winning a tournament. That tournament's sport is (primarily) the title of this movie.

dodgeball_1_sm.jpg

#5: Robot & Frank
Set in the near future, a retired catburglar (played by Frank Langella) lives alone while his successful son, Hunter, tries to care for him from afar. Finally, Hunter gets him a robot caretaker, but Langella's character soon learns that it is useful as a burglary aide. As he tries to restart his old profession, he is forced to come to grips with the uncomfortable realities of a changing world and his worsening dementia.

robot-and-frank_1_sm.jpg

#6: The Silence of the Lambs
A psychopath known as Buffalo Bill is kidnapping and murdering young women across the Midwest. Believing it takes one to know one, the F.B.I. sends Agent Clarice Starling to interview a demented prisoner who may provide psychological insight and clues to the killer's actions. The prisoner is psychiatrist, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant, murderous cannibal who will only help Starling if she feeds his morbid curiosity with details about her own complicated life.

the-silence-of-the-lambs_3_sm.jpg

#7: Session 9
An asbestos abatement crew wins the bid to clean up an abandoned mental institution. What should be a straightforward, if rather rushed, job, is complicated by the personal histories of the crew. In particular, Hank is dating Phil's old girlfriend, and Gordon's new baby seems to be unnerving him more than should be expected. Meanwhile, Mike, a law school dropout, becomes obsessed with listening through a found box of taped psychotherapy meetings involving a patient with multiple personalities.

session-9_1_sm.jpg

#8: Gladiator
A dying Emperor Marcus Aurelius plans to name his loyal and brave General Maximus as his successor in order to restore the power of the Roman Senate. However, his power-hungry, jealous son Commodus learns of the plan, murders Marcus Aurelius, and plans to execute Maximus in order to secure his claim to the throne. Maximus escapes execution, but is sold into slavery and is forced to become a participant in the battle games at the Roman Colosseum.

gladiator_2_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Thanks for the quiz!

It's nice to know I was right about the ones I suspected. I'm not quite as out of touch as I sometimes feel.

When's the next one?
It'll probably be in a couple of weeks. I've got a few movies queued up for viewing, and I'm sure they'll provide some inspiration. :)

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
I've got a few movies queued up for viewing, and I'm sure they'll provide some inspiration.

I hope your viewing includes some pre-codes! Nothing obvious like Jewel Robbery (1932), The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (1916), or They Learned About Women (1930), but something really esoteric. It'd be nice to see one which stumps everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread