MTL with a 200w mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thank you Izan, interesting note too, about nicotine propaganda...nicotine only is even healthy for certain mental disorders among other things. Forgot to ask, what happen exactly if I go higher in watts with that battery type, the 25R for example? I mean, will the mod be damaged or will blow or make venting the batteries? I though mods had some kind of protection against these situations, be over the mod itself or the batteries directly. If not the case, the mod would need some type of automatic wattage level locking, if detected voltage batteries is not enough for the device maximal power...correct me if am wrong please, thanks again.

A battery expert I am not, but I''ll try for a quick and dirty 'splaination.
(the thing to take away is that device manufactures lie about "maximum" output.)

The device monitors the batteries for voltage.
At minimum voltage the device will display LOW BATT and refuse to fire.
The larger the amp draw from the battery, the faster it depletes the charge.
If the amp draw is too great, the device will NOT receive enough power from the batteries and will display LOW BATT.
As batteries age, they loss the ability to discharge at the same rate as a new cell.
Rapid discharge and abuse can lead to premature failure or shorter battery lifespan.

Device disappointment is a far greater possibly than blowing up, melting down or venting your batteries.

Cheers
I

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
Thank you Izan, is what I thought too, but your answer verifies it, the important thing is that it wont be dangerous, if one keeps balance between correct coil set up and device power and avoiding over- abuse applied to it when vaping. That would explain why greater discharge rate batteries are better for use in this kind of devices, while high capacity ones are aimed to flashlights, etc. for example. Yes, power level in mods is always over estimated or exaggerated by the companies, thats why I choose a mod that can "reach" 200w, 'cause in reality it will fire up to, say, 160-170w top. In conclusion, if one wants to go to max in those mods, a pair of Sony VTC3 would allow to reach 160w aprox, after the chart you sent me. Thanks again Izan...getting closer to the right stuff now...sorry I used a new window instead the reply window again...PD: re-reading your answer, I dont know if you meant that companies dont lie about maximal power on their devices, instead of the contrary, being the choosed power source (bat) thats inssuficient for it. Cheers! update: holy cow, it seems I was in a hurry when I saw your answer, I ve skipped the phrase "the things to take away"..ok, I got it, I was, for good, wrong. Thanks again pal.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Awesome reply Suprtrkr, thanks for the time you took to write such a helpful response, really. I didnt mention it from the begining, but besides the mod kit I ll order, there is a toolkit from coilmaster and some rba heads, yeah, I ve had planned too, I have no experience whatsoever in coiling and wicking, but I do work in electronics pretty much and following the steps carefully, I should get it with some patience and experimenting. The basic understanding of how the coil heats and vaporizes is clear, now the different formulas and balance between components is the step that should follow. Even so, there are many concepts I ll have to learn eventually. As you said, becoming a coil buider and, hopefully, a druid to make our own juice would save a coffin of money in the long term and I have to thank that possiblity exists in this vaping world, 'cause it gave the people, the option to stop depending on abusive commerce trading with disposable components (in a fair level at least) as it is with infinite other things in the world that we can't rebuild or repare ourselves, forcing us to buy and buy constantly. That mixed with altruist people like you, makes it possible, my friend. Everything now is much more clear, I ll go for the Smok Procolor mod, given the good reviews on it, almost everywhere I ve looked, not for its 220w (I would never get to use that power anyway), but for the dual external battery system, normal size for the hand and the good looking info screen, concerning the fancy colour leds and not being touchscreen, isnt important at all IMO. An external charger from Nitecore with a pair of 25R included, another additional pair, the coilmaster toolkit with 521 mini tab, coil, cotton and tools included, at least two rba heads, one for mtl aimed coils and one for dtl intended, finally one big bottle of some juice. Do you think am in the right path buying this set to start? Once delivered to me, if is not trouble for you, I ll ask you in the process other questions to avoid blowing my face off, as Grimwald stated...loll! Honestly, many many thanks Suprtrkr, for your time and invaluable help...if you or anybody else reading this post, have any suggestion concerning the set im planning to order, please feel free to advise me, thanks to all of you who helped in this topic here, cheers!
Quite welcome, helping people along is why I am here. That's all good gear you're looking at. You're also right DIY juice and coils are much cheaper. I and any number of others will be happy to help when your gear arrives.

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
Quite welcome, helping people along is why I am here. That's all good gear you're looking at. You're also right DIY juice and coils are much cheaper. I and any number of others will be happy to help when your gear arrives.

Ok Suprtrkr, after tomorrow is my deadline to order the gear for time imposing issues. unfortunately. I think, after days reading a lot and investigating about more advanced vaping, I got the best set up for my needs. Im not a dripper or a squonker, thats for sure. Ideally not having to refill or recharge batts too often. Once a day sounds reasonable. An easy deck to coil. Mod tank leak free and decent capacity, 4ml and above, ideally one that holds some juice for all or at least half a day. I believe im a chain vaper, on free or working time (im independent, luckly) I can vape continuosly for about 20 to 40 minutes and very little time between hits, only some 10 or 20 seconds. I realize im very anxious when doing this stuff, I guess is the struggle agaist many years of tobbaco use.
Well, thats my profile I guess, I think I ve put all aspects for easy reference.

The tanks I saw best suited are the Nautilus x, 2ml and 1.5 ohms (here a doubt, is the 1.5 resistance the minimal or maximal ohms that the tank supports? they dont specify...), but these tanks holds generally about 2 or 3ml top, with some exceptions, I ve found one that seemed optimal, but the reviews were full of negative comments about leaking and bad construction. Could the Baby Beast X rba kit ($22.98 Authentic Smoktech SMOK TFV8 X-Baby RBA Tank Clearomizer - 4ml / 0.35ohm / stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping) have the necessary things to make some mtl aimed coils and hoping the tank will behave, at least normally in liquid taste and consumption, allowing decent clouds? I know is 0.35ohm marked, but if this is the minimal range, can I somehow make it work to do mlt too? I like on this one with a top airflow and refill system, but I hope is not too airy or with good control ring to tight decently the draws. Or do I need definitely two different rba decks to create both types? I do assume that on the deck you can coil and wick (having the required resistance range) to approach different vaping effects. Correct me if im wrong on this one please.

I need to choose a tank and atomizer with rba deck that could be used for creating coils for both mtl and dtl i f possible, to cover a potential switch to pure dtl sometime, sooner or later. I assume the rba and tank need to have a resistance range, say, 0.05 to 3.0 ohms, but maybe a 0.1 minimal, should be fine. The Colimaster toolkit comes with some cotton and wire, if after you, these are at least decent quality, I wont buy then additional cotton or wire.
Once this is clear, I think I will be ok to order, cause the mod itself, the charger and the coiling toolkit are already selectioned. Maybe other doubts will come up today or tomorrow, I ll let you know, if is not an imposition for you.

Thank you in advance Suprtrkr and sorry for the long explanation, I hope I did fine for you to get my idea. Cheers!

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Ok Suprtrkr, after tomorrow is my deadline to order the gear for time imposing issues. unfortunately. I think, after days reading a lot and investigating about more advanced vaping, I got the best set up for my needs. Im not a dripper or a squonker, thats for sure. Ideally not having to refill or recharge batts too often. Once a day sounds reasonable. An easy deck to coil. Mod tank leak free and decent capacity, 4ml and above, ideally one that holds some juice for all or at least half a day. I believe im a chain vaper, on free or working time (im independent, luckly) I can vape continuosly for about 20 to 40 minutes and very little time between hits, only some 10 or 20 seconds. I realize im very anxious when doing this stuff, I guess is the struggle agaist many years of tobbaco use.
Well, thats my profile I guess, I think I ve put all aspects for easy reference.

The tanks I saw best suited are the Nautilus x, 2ml and 1.5 ohms (here a doubt, is the 1.5 resistance the minimal or maximal ohms that the tank supports? they dont specify...), but these tanks holds generally about 2 or 3ml top, with some exceptions, I ve found one that seemed optimal, but the reviews were full of negative comments about leaking and bad construction. Could the Baby Beast X rba kit ($22.98 Authentic Smoktech SMOK TFV8 X-Baby RBA Tank Clearomizer - 4ml / 0.35ohm / stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping) have the necessary things to make some mtl aimed coils and hoping the tank will behave, at least normally in liquid taste and consumption, allowing decent clouds? I know is 0.35ohm marked, but if this is the minimal range, can I somehow make it work to do mlt too? I like on this one with a top airflow and refill system, but I hope is not too airy or with good control ring to tight decently the draws. Or do I need definitely two different rba decks to create both types? I do assume that on the deck you can coil and wick (having the required resistance range) to approach different vaping effects. Correct me if im wrong on this one please.

I need to choose a tank and atomizer with rba deck that could be used for creating coils for both mtl and dtl i f possible, to cover a potential switch to pure dtl sometime, sooner or later. I assume the rba and tank need to have a resistance range, say, 0.05 to 3.0 ohms, but maybe a 0.1 minimal, should be fine. The Colimaster toolkit comes with some cotton and wire, if after you, these are at least decent quality, I wont buy then additional cotton or wire.
Once this is clear, I think I will be ok to order, cause the mod itself, the charger and the coiling toolkit are already selectioned. Maybe other doubts will come up today or tomorrow, I ll let you know, if is not an imposition for you.

Thank you in advance Suprtrkr and sorry for the long explanation, I hope I did fine for you to get my idea. Cheers!
Unfortunately, I don't have a Big Baby, so I can't tell you about How the RBA works. I can tell you the Beast tanks are designed as full-on cloud machines. I do not know how well they will MTL. The Nautilus X is another tank I don't have. I did use the Nauti1 back in my MTL days, and they were then some of the best around. As best I can determine, the 1.5Ω coil is the lowest offered for it. I am not even sure it has an RBA deck. Whether it does or no, I kinda doubt the air will open up enough for DL hits, no matter how low you coil it.

Air flow is the key. MTL wants a tight draw, but DL needs freer air flow.

Tell me, is there some reason you want a tank with pre-fab coils if you intend to build? Are you going to vape pre-fab from time to time? If you really want both options, the tank I recommend to my new users is the Kanger Subtank/Toptank (same-ish tank, just different names really). That one has prefab coils in both MTL and DL strengths, plus an RBA. The RBA is small, not the thing I'd suggest a learner go for, but it is possible. I know many people who have taught themselves how to build on it. The Subtank is favored by many people. Others move on, but are usually grateful to it for teaching them what they really want in a tank before they blow big bucks on a name-brand authentic. This is an option I'd recommend to you if you require both capacities.

For my part, if I wanted to do both DL and MTL, I think I'd use different tanks for the job.

Another option, if you don't require prefab coils, is just get an RTA that can only be built and has none. That's what I do; I haven't used a prefab in years. One tank I happen to know can be coiled both for MTL and fiercely low subohm DL, or anywhere in between, is the Serpent SMM. I have one on my desk right now and it's a shiner. 4ml, single coil, great flavor and very nice air control. Going this route means you must have two tanks, or rebuild every time you want to switch DL-MTL or vice-versa. That's not all bad. Backups for the backups is the rule. Two tanks are better than one. The all you have to do is pop off the one and install the other.

Finally, building is a whole other world. While you can get started there, I confidently predict you will not be satisfied with just one type of wire or wick. I only use rayon wicks nowadays (except in the Gennys, which traditionally require SS mesh), but I tried every type of cotton there is before I got there. Similarly, I only use Stainless Steel 316 or 316L wire now, but I carry it in several gauges. DL coils are much easier to wind with 24-28 wire, depending on the resistance you want, but MTL is much happier with 30 or 32 or even 34 for really tall coils.

Let's keep talking, my friend. But sooner or later you're going to have to dive in and find out :)

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't have a Big Baby, so I can't tell you about How the RBA works. I can tell you the Beast tanks are designed as full-on cloud machines. I do not know how well they will MTL. The Nautilus X is another tank I don't have. I did use the Nauti1 back in my MTL days, and they were then some of the best around. As best I can determine, the 1.5Ω coil is the lowest offered for it. I am not even sure it has an RBA deck. Whether it does or no, I kinda doubt the air will open up enough for DL hits, no matter how low you coil it.

Air flow is the key. MTL wants a tight draw, but DL needs freer air flow.

Tell me, is there some reason you want a tank with pre-fab coils if you intend to build? Are you going to vape pre-fab from time to time? If you really want both options, the tank I recommend to my new users is the Kanger Subtank/Toptank (same-ish tank, just different names really). That one has prefab coils in both MTL and DL strengths, plus an RBA. The RBA is small, not the thing I'd suggest a learner go for, but it is possible. I know many people who have taught themselves how to build on it. The Subtank is favored by many people. Others move on, but are usually grateful to it for teaching them what they really want in a tank before they blow big bucks on a name-brand authentic. This is an option I'd recommend to you if you require both capacities.

For my part, if I wanted to do both DL and MTL, I think I'd use different tanks for the job.

Another option, if you don't require prefab coils, is just get an RTA that can only be built and has none. That's what I do; I haven't used a prefab in years. One tank I happen to know can be coiled both for MTL and fiercely low subohm DL, or anywhere in between, is the Serpent SMM. I have one on my desk right now and it's a shiner. 4ml, single coil, great flavor and very nice air control. Going this route means you must have two tanks, or rebuild every time you want to switch DL-MTL or vice-versa. That's not all bad. Backups for the backups is the rule. Two tanks are better than one. The all you have to do is pop off the one and install the other.

Finally, building is a whole other world. While you can get started there, I confidently predict you will not be satisfied with just one type of wire or wick. I only use rayon wicks nowadays (except in the Gennys, which traditionally require SS mesh), but I tried every type of cotton there is before I got there. Similarly, I only use Stainless Steel 316 or 316L wire now, but I carry it in several gauges. DL coils are much easier to wind with 24-28 wire, depending on the resistance you want, but MTL is much happier with 30 or 32 or even 34 for really tall coils.

Let's keep talking, my friend. But sooner or later you're going to have to dive in and find out :)

Very helpful reply, Suprtrkr my friend...answering to you now, yes, the idea is to build the coils, instead of purchasing them every month, as you said, two tanks would do for this goal, I was thinking the same method, the nautilus doesnt come with a rba section indeed, i just found the info. The serpent isnt longuer available, I only found this one, discotinued by the way :
$19.22 Authentic Wotofo Serpent Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer - 3.5ml / 0.25ohm / stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I know I could find it somewhere else, but for a number of reasons, ordering from fasttech in my only go right now, im in southamerica and will be for at least, 2 or 3 more years, this company, despite its delayed shipping system, its free, I ve compared other places from China or even the States and shipping costs grow big time to get the them over here. Im in a budget unfortunately at this time, but I have enough to buy the gear we have discussed, if shipping is free.

The DL tank problem would resolve by itself, given the mod, in this case the smok procolor, as well as many others, comes with the big baby one, in 4ml capacity, so I guess I would have to buy just an rba kit to fit this tank, but I just realize that those rba kits comes generally with its own tank, even being the same as the stock one with the mod. Or find a mod that includes this full set.

Yet, another doubt comes up...I think im kind of lost concerning RBAs, in the begining, I though the subtypes of RBA were RTA, RDA and RTDA, etc, which in fact, it is, but I though that one could build only the coils without a rebulidable tank, that should be RBA, rebuildable atomizer only. So, can a non rebuildable tank work with a hand-made coil? I definitely lost the track here...They are maybe the same thing, but I lost it...my apologies Suprtrkr, im forced to learn all this in a few days due to time complications, but at least im discerning already, one thing from another.

Many thanks again my friend...and as you said, in a month or so, when the gear arrives, I should work it out in real practice...let me know if you have any advice concerning this new post...

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Very helpful reply, Suprtrkr my friend...answering to you now, yes, the idea is to build the coils, instead of purchasing them every month, as you said, two tanks would do for this goal, I was thinking the same method, the nautilus doesnt come with a rba section indeed, i just found the info. The serpent isnt longuer available, I only found this one, discotinued by the way :
$19.22 Authentic Wotofo Serpent Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer - 3.5ml / 0.25ohm / stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I know I could find it somewhere else, but for a number of reasons, ordering from fasttech in my only go right now, im in southamerica and will be for at least, 2 or 3 more years, this company, despite its delayed shipping system, its free, I ve compared other places from China or even the States and shipping costs grow big time to get the them over here. Im in a budget unfortunately at this time, but I have enough to buy the gear we have discussed, if shipping is free.

The DL tank problem would resolve by itself, given the mod, in this case the smok procolor, as well as many others, comes with the big baby one, in 4ml capacity, so I guess I would have to buy just an rba kit to fit this tank, but I just realize that those rba kits comes generally with its own tank, even being the same as the stock one with the mod. Or find a mod that includes this full set.

Yet, another doubt comes up...I think im kind of lost concerning RBAs, in the begining, I though the subtypes of RBA were RTA, RDA and RTDA, etc, which in fact, it is, but I though that one could build only the coils without a rebulidable tank, that should be RBA, rebuildable atomizer only. So, can a non rebuildable tank work with a hand-made coil? I definitely lost the track here...They are maybe the same thing, but I lost it...my apologies Suprtrkr, im forced to learn all this in a few days due to time complications, but at least im discerning already, one thing from another.

Many thanks again my friend...and as you said, in a month or so, when the gear arrives, I should work it out in real practice...let me know if you have any advice concerning this new post...

Hhhmmm... Yes, RBA is an acronym for Rebuildable Atomizer. Subs are RTA-- rebuildable tank atomizer-- RDA-- rebuildable dripping tomizer-- and RDTA-- rebuildable dripping tank atomizer, which last is sort of a dripper built on top of a juice storage tank. They don't work like a modern tank, more like an old school genny, except they're wicked with cotton. The type has the juice below the coil, using the wicking power to work against gravity, whereas modern tanks use gravity to help feed the liquid with the coil on the bottom. RDTAs are also viable options. I like the iJoy Limitless, and it can also be built DL or MTL. None of these have factory coils, they are strictly built tanks.

As to the tank I recommend, here it is: $23.54 Authentic Wotofo Serpent SMM RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 4ml / 316 stainless steel + glass / 24mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
That one is still available. It's a rework of the old Serpent; the Serpent SMM. The acronym stands for Suck My Mod, a reviewer/brand name. It's a collaboration, and a very nice unit. I like it so much, I bought another one myself. I reviewed the machine here.

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
Hhhmmm... Yes, RBA is an acronym for Rebuildable Atomizer. Subs are RTA-- rebuildable tank atomizer-- RDA-- rebuildable dripping tomizer-- and RDTA-- rebuildable dripping tank atomizer, which last is sort of a dripper built on top of a juice storage tank. They don't work like a modern tank, more like an old school genny, except they're wicked with cotton. The type has the juice below the coil, using the wicking power to work against gravity, whereas modern tanks use gravity to help feed the liquid with the coil on the bottom. RDTAs are also viable options. I like the iJoy Limitless, and it can also be built DL or MTL. None of these have factory coils, they are strictly built tanks.

As to the tank I recommend, here it is: $23.54 Authentic Wotofo Serpent SMM RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 4ml / 316 stainless steel + glass / 24mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
That one is still available. It's a rework of the old Serpent; the Serpent SMM. The acronym stands for Suck My Mod, a reviewer/brand name. It's a collaboration, and a very nice unit. I like it so much, I bought another one myself. I reviewed the machine here.

You are the man! Thank you pal, thats the one, I dont know why I ve missed those pages when I was there. Here s the black one to fit the mod and available too.
$24.76 Authentic Wotofo Serpent SMM RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 4ml / 316 stainless steel + glass / 24mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Is a go, I see some extra pre made coils and some cotton in that package, so I ll be able to mount the coils and vape right away for a couple of weeks (actually giving a try to DL, 'cause they are Clapton, aimed to lower ohms I think), before fully coiling again for specific MTL set up....Nice! I see also the deck is single coil, meaning easier to work with on learning and less battery and juice consuming, but only less vapor. Ordering a narrow drip tip with it too. About batteries for the procolor or g priv, I had the 25R in mind but maybe the 30Q are better for those things?

Any last suggestion about it? Thank you so much for the explanation too, have a nice day Suprtrkr...

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
You are the man! Thank you pal, thats the one, I dont know why I ve missed those pages when I was there. Here s the black one to fit the mod and available too.
$24.76 Authentic Wotofo Serpent SMM RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 4ml / 316 stainless steel + glass / 24mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Is a go, I see some extra pre made coils and some cotton in that package, so I ll be able to mount the coils and vape right away for a couple of weeks (actually giving a try to DL, 'cause they are Clapton, aimed to lower ohms I think), before fully coiling again for specific MTL set up....Nice! I see also the deck is single coil, meaning easier to work with on learning and less battery and juice consuming, but only less vapor. Ordering a narrow drip tip with it too. About batteries for the procolor or g priv, I had the 25R in mind but maybe the 30Q are better for those things?

Any last suggestion about it? Thank you so much for the explanation too, have a nice day Suprtrkr...
Clapton wire does lower resistance, all other things being equal, as compared against a slick (round) wire of the same size as the core of the Clapton, by virtue of being thicker with the outer wrap wire. You are effectively increasing the diameter/ lowering the gauge of your wire. But all other things won't be equal. The most important characteristic a builder is shooting for is resistance, so nobody would build an identical Clapton coil to replace a slick coil. You would want to retain the resistance factor, so the wire in the Clapton coil has to be longer than in the slick coil, meaning more wraps or larger diameter mandrel or both.

The actual purpose of Clapton wire is to increase the surface area of coil. Consider the complex surface topology of a cylindrical wire spiral wrapped around another cylindrical wire; the whole then being wrapped into spiral wound coil. (It also doesn't have to be cylindrical: Alien wire --tractor treads-- wrap a round wire around a ribbon; Tiger wire wraps a ribbon around a round wire. It gets a lot worse, too; have a glance at the coil porn board here and anywhere else. But don't bend your brain :) ) The idea is this: assume the resistance per length of a small Clapton wire is identical to the resistance per length of a larger diameter slick wire. Thus the same resistance of coil can be built using identical wraps on the identical mandrel; but of the two, the Clapton coil will have a far, far higher ratio of surface area to volume.

The smallest possible ratio of SA:V is a sphere. That's why bathyscaphes are round and deep water fish are kinda short and thick and stubby; to help them resist deep water pressure by lowering surface area. A sheet of paper, however, has huge surface area and practically no volume at all; a much higher ratio. That's always important when you're trying to transfer heat. Whether by conduction, convection or radiation-- all three happen with a vape coil-- the more surface area you have doing the convecting or conducting or radiating, the faster the heat moves around.

Looked at another way, what makes vapor is hot wire surface in contact with wet wick. Heating the middle of the wire, while necessary, does no good for vapor because there's no juice in there; heat transfer, and thus vapor production, occurs only at the surface of the wire. The idea is functionally identical to the fins in your car's radiator or your air conditioner's condensing coil. or the fins on an electronics heat sink. The Clapton wraps are the fins of the core wire. Whether this produces more vapor, or more flavor, or both, or simply makes the exact same flavor and vapor more efficiently, thereby conserving battery power, is the result of a complex series of interactions involving the desired resistance, the set watts and a huge-ish number of other factors I haven't yet mentioned.

(Clapton wire is hard to build by hand and expensive to buy. But just as a hint, you can gain something like 85% of the benefit of increased surface just by taking two smaller wires and simply twisting them together. Taking three smaller wires and braiding them does even better. I did mention you might want more than one type of wire...)

Why yes, now you mention it, there is rather a lot to understand about this, lol. But understanding it isn't really necessary; all you need is to make it work. If you're like most people, you'll probably endure several failures building coils until you get one that actually works. Making your first vapable coil is a huge milestone in a builder's life. I fondly remember mine and it was years ago. So look at it like this: there's a learning curve, yes. But a couple days to a week will get you moving in a good direction. Understanding how it all works is the study of a lifetime. I do that, because I am one of those an*l a**h*les who has to know. This ain't for everybody; and it isn't really necessary anyway: there are good tools available that will calculate all this for you and you need only build by the results. Not only that, but you don't need to understand it so long as there are people like me on this board: you need only ask and we'll tell you :)

On to the batteries: either the 25Rs or the 30Qs will be excellent in that mod. Don't take it over 120 watts, or not for long or often, and they'll be fine. The 30Qs will last longer, given their 500mAh greater capacity, than the 25Rs at any watt level. LiIon batteries have a life cycle measured in recharges: about 300 full cycles and their useful life is over. So, if you can get 30Qs at or near the same price as 25Rs, you'll spend less money over the life of the batteries. Cost may not be your only decision point: maybe you really want the greater life in the mod. If so, buy 30Qs and don't sweat the price, you only have to re-buy them every year or two anyway. I think I mentioned above I am a mech vaper, in addition to using regulated mods, or maybe that was another thread. Anyway, I am a mech vaper and mechs have no safety circuitry at all. Therefore I prefer 25A batteries to 20A, just to give me a thicker safety margin. I don't actually use either of the Samsung batteries we're talking about. I lean toward the LG HD series, which are 25A batteries. Most of my batteries now are HD2Cs, as this was the best cell available last time I found a sale and stocked up. Before that I used Sony VTC4s, as they were then the best. Next time I buy, I'll get Sony VTC5As as they offer better specs than the HD2Cs. If you want to buy 25A cells, you can go to 80-ish watts per battery; for two, 160 watts or near the actual capacity of a 2-battery "200 watt" mod. I rather doubt you'll need it, myself. The vape gets hot and tasteless much above 70-80, and I usually vape at half that. However, the option is out there. But don't let this distract you: the Samsung parts you mention are excellent cells; for your usage you can't go wrong with either.

You are going to find built coils last a lot longer than prefab ones. If the wick plugs up, no problem: disassemble the tank, pull the old wick, burn the coils clean, rewick and vape some more. I have built coils over a year old and still going. I just rewick when they get to tasting bad. Burning clean is easy: heat the coils (with no wick) dull red-- not glowing hot-- and scrape the coils clean with a brush or probe. Then clean the inner diameter of the coil with some cotton-- I just pull a long wick in. The first inch or so cleans the coil inside diameter, which I then cut off and throw away, wicking with the remainder. A used toothbrush is a good brush to clean with. I also use a hooked dental probe I have to help pull the wick in as a scraper. And take a look at this jewel:

$5.99 Authentic Coil Master Vape Cleaning Brush - 2.0/2.5/3.0/3.5/4.0mm jig sizes / 0.1mm 304 stainless steel bristles at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

It's a little wire brush for cleaning that pushes on the end of a coil winding mandrel. That type of mandrel, BTW, is my favorite kind. I have (several) of the kind you're getting in your tool kit, but I never did like them. Doesn't mean you won't, many people do. But I don't, so this is just a thought.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not a huge rebuilder, but the Nautilus X survival kit is a MTL tank with an RDA. They're fairly inexpensive I got the whole kit, which includes the tank, for less than $30 dollars. I'm ashamed to say I haven't played with it yet, but my kabuki has diverted my attention. It's a nice kit however, it contains an extender tank to increase size, as well as a rebuilding deck.. The Nautilus X coils don't actually use bvc Nautilus coils, but some other type of coil, but if RTA is your goal with the occasional drop in, this might work for MTL and RTA. I hesitate to recommend it as I haven't used it, but it does get praise from some folks as a versatile MTL setup... :)

Anna

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I'm not a huge rebuilder, but the Nautilus X survival kit is a MTL tank with an RDA. They're fairly inexpensive I got the whole kit, which includes the tank, for less than $30 dollars. I'm ashamed to say I haven't played with it yet, but my kabuki has diverted my attention. It's a nice kit however, it contains an extender tank to increase size, as well as a rebuilding deck.. The Nautilus X coils don't actually use bvc Nautilus coils, but some other type of coil, but if RTA is your goal with the occasional drop in, this might work for MTL and RTA. I hesitate to recommend it as I haven't used it, but it does get praise from some folks as a versatile MTL setup... :)

Anna
I didn't see you got a Kabuki, Anna. Very nice. It's not my tank-- I am not a MTL or prefab coil kinda guy-- but it's probably the best MTL tank out there. Well done.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is the best! I got it for my 2 month vapeversary, and it's the titanium version and I LOVE it. :) It's definitely diminished my motivation to use anything else, but since I have the WHOLE day at home, I am going to build my Hussar today that looks like a super sweet and easy to build MTL tank. Things got a bit nuts collecting the kid and his dog.... Tucson, driving, on the Friday afternoon before labor day has to be one of the worst experiences ever....

After driving through town on the way in, and witnessing the traffic in the opposing direction, we decided to return via Gate's Pass... Heh. That's a both awe inspiring and great stealth way to get from town to South Tucson, and it was pretty empty. A truck with its bed open and large iron beams and wood laying on the bed while *bouncing* was a bit unfortunate, but the truck even pulled over to the side of the road to let us by.... That is an event in Tucson so notable, that I am mentioning it. No one lets you pass here-- no one. Well, I do, but I try my best to be courteous, but around here, if you will be turning left in 12 miles, it's like a given that you're going to be in the left lane, traveling at whatever speed one feels like. When we arrived people were like all amazed at us not minding driving 30 minutes somewhere. Coming from the East Coast we didn't get it. We now do, after encountering so many "drivers" and "roadwork". It's very difficult. :)

Anna

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
It is the best! I got it for my 2 month vapeversary, and it's the titanium version and I LOVE it. :) It's definitely diminished my motivation to use anything else, but since I have the WHOLE day at home, I am going to build my Hussar today that looks like a super sweet and easy to build MTL tank. Things got a bit nuts collecting the kid and his dog.... Tucson, driving, on the Friday afternoon before labor day has to be one of the worst experiences ever....

After driving through town on the way in, and witnessing the traffic in the opposing direction, we decided to return via Gate's Pass... Heh. That's a both awe inspiring and great stealth way to get from town to South Tucson, and it was pretty empty. A truck with its bed open and large iron beams and wood laying on the bed while *bouncing* was a bit unfortunate, but the truck even pulled over to the side of the road to let us by.... That is an event in Tucson so notable, that I am mentioning it. No one lets you pass here-- no one. Well, I do, but I try my best to be courteous, but around here, if you will be turning left in 12 miles, it's like a given that you're going to be in the left lane, traveling at whatever speed one feels like. When we arrived people were like all amazed at us not minding driving 30 minutes somewhere. Coming from the East Coast we didn't get it. We now do, after encountering so many "drivers" and "roadwork". It's very difficult. :)

Anna
Been there, done that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread