Musicians check in here. If you play, tell us about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Epis ain't bad guitars at all! I have a tanglewood acoustic & a gibson sg

I own a 1994 Gibson Les Paul and a 1979 50th anniversary Fender blonde wood Strat. The rest of the Gibson style guitars are Epiphones. I also own a Fender Squire Tele and a Peavey Foundation Bass. I have a couple of Acoustics.

I like my Epi SG, but you have to have the right strap for that one. The strap peg at the base of the neck makes it want to tilt. I need to install a strap peg on the top horn.

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I have been a Strat guy most of my life but I am really loving this Epi es 339. the tap coil sure gives it a lot of sounds and when it's crunch time, it has more meat than the strat.

Friday I am meeting with the builder of the new octave mandolin. I am so excited. He is coming here to discuss neck profiles. I can show him my favs. and I get to try a new mandolin out he built. it has bear claw spruce on top. looks like claws scraped right across the front in the grain. I have seen pics and heard a vid of him playing it. I might have to consider selling some instruments though LOL. Holding at 14 stringed right now. and drums

I restrung my classical guitar recently. I went with a heavier guage to keep the nylon from getting floppy. I was surprised to open the package and find black nylon strings. It looks pretty cool. One complaint about nylon... they take forever to stretch in.

oh and welcome Skold... this is the only thread here I visit

Reactions: DaveP

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
same here, I do occasionally venture into other off topic threads, but I'm done with trying new vape stuff... I'm down to 2mg/ml and vape less than a ml per day.

even though I'm bassist, I play guitar too (played rhythm in a couple cover bands even). My main guitar was a 1961 Fender Jazzmaster that was my first guitar when I was about 13... my Grandfather's "beater guitar". I sold it in 1995 for silly money to finance a cross country trip for attend school. I wish I still had it, but I'm okay knowing Pops would have been cool with the decision at the time.
jammin-with-james.gif

(circa 1985 on high school stage riffing some Judas Priest)

Currently my main guitar is a 1983 Ibanez RS315 outfitted with a nasty and raw single coil tele pickup that is somewhere between a P90 and a 50s tele... in an early Hair Band suit :)
Twins-01.jpg

(yes I own a matching 1983 RB924 bass too)

I also have a mid 60s Guild Starfire IV with Bigsby that my Father fiddles on with an old Univox tube 1x12" combo... one of these days he'll get bored again and let me have them back! Other guitars are a junk Yamaha acoustic from the 70s and an early 90s Squier Strat I got from my sister-in-law after she ditched it in the attic after her "I want to play guitar because Kurt Cobain is dreamy" phase.

One day I will own a P90 loaded SG and / or a Rick 600 series

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
My banjo now hangs on the wall to the right. I have a cd printer sitting there now with that little monitor on top. a 27 inch to the left. That's my mastering station. The laptop is on the desk beside the recorder and a 7 tray cd copier is under the recorder. Under desk 1 is a Yorkville kb amp and a fender mustang III. behind the drums is 2 pa's, my fender bass amp and little roland mobile cube (very impressive mini pa and guitar amp), plus a power inverter and large solar panel. The classical is on a stand in front of my motorcycle. Not sure where I will fit the new instrument in here yet lol... you can't really see everything. the Yamaha bass is in back. I really like that thing. has both jazz and pre style pickups so lots of tonal choices, and for that stand up sound the rubber stringer
15740829_1873057196250956_4166310728714705629_n.jpg

15800031_1873057199584289_3702446609727331887_o.jpg

15844764_1873057192917623_6815864455851973498_o.jpg

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Dave have you ever used the fuzzy big ....? I love that guitar pedal, but I'm very much a fan of the grunge/alternative sound. I think a lot of my music is inspired by bands like Melvins, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Garbage. I like using a boss distortion pedal with a big ...., gives a very distorted sound. I tend to do a lot of drop tuning an songs in the minor key, but I have been praised a lot for my music an the gigs I've done. My ex girlfriend always compared me to Kurt Cobain :)

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Dave have you ever used the fuzzy big ....? I love that guitar pedal, but I'm very much a fan of the grunge/alternative sound. I think a lot of my music is inspired by bands like Melvins, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Garbage. I like using a boss distortion pedal with a big ...., gives a very distorted sound. I tend to do a lot of drop tuning an songs in the minor key, but I have been praised a lot for my music an the gigs I've done. My ex girlfriend always compared me to Kurt Cobain :)

I've used a lot of fuzz box pedals over the years, starting with the original Mosrite Ventures fuzz back in 1967 or so. Today I use no floor pedals other than the controller that goes with my Peavy 60W Vyper amp. It has just about every effect you'd want built into the amp and they are all good enough to just plug in, set them up and play.

The Sanpera foot pedal has volume and Wah-Wah pedals and 4 programmable foot switches to control the effects in the amp. There are multiple banks to set up for various combinations of effects. It's all I use these days. It's a 6L6 power/12ax7 preamp tube amp with a solid state front end and sampled models and effects.

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
@ James, I love the Fender Jazzmaster. I tried one out at a guitar shop in a town I lived a couple of years ago but ended up walking away with a fender mustang :) an bloody hell, I wasn't even born in 1985. Half my mates are older than me :p I find people my age too immature :(

My Grandfather got the Jazzmaster in 63-64 from an associate that was getting divorced. It was used hard and put away wet... so they say. It was on its second set of frets and with the last crown job I had done, I was told it was going to need new again next time. The fingerboard was almost scalloped places from use, bridge design was horrible, etc etc etc.

Age is just a number... I turned 49 last month but people constantly think I'm in my mid 30s, and I have a 2 year old daughter.

The classical is on a stand in front of my motorcycle.

What do you ride? I may have mentioned it here before, but I'm restoring a pair of Yamaha 2-stroke bikes. One is a 1971 CT1-C (175cc Enduro) that I'm building into a 'runs only on race fuel' street bike. The other is a 1967 YR1 Grand Prix 350 (their first 2-stroke 350 twin that eventually became the RD350 in the 70s).

My guitars.

I love the Strat, I really dig natural Ash bodied Fenders with Rosewood fingerboards.

Loving these collections :)

Me too, keep posting gear pictures everyone :)

I know I've posted before, but here are my real tools of the trade :)
(I've had the white one the longest... built to my specs it was delivered 14 years ago on April 23, 2003)
20140803_music-room.jpg

and my 7... main electric bass for going on 11 years now
20151003-Bee.jpg

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
They are really good, one of my favorites :) & yeah age is just a number I guess, but people my age do seem immature a lot of the time.
An that's cool, I have a Triumpth Trophy. The old model of course, I wouldn't go for the 2000 model. Never go for modern bikes LOL!

Cool you've kept that in good condition! I have a guitar from ten years ago but it's sadly in bits at my mates, it's fixable though :) bit of paint, new strings should be fine.

Reactions: James Hart

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
Cool you've kept that in good condition! I have a guitar from ten years ago but it's sadly in bits at my mates, it's fixable though :) bit of paint, new strings should be fine.

I've never had a guitar or bass in 'bits'... I've had some cheap junk too. I had an Ibanez from 1989 (EX405) that my guitarist grabbed to take in his car for a gig while I had the amps in mine... he left it leaning on his rear fender (in a gig bag) and drove over it!!!! Pushed the knobs through the body, flipped a bridge saddle around... I used some channel lock pliers to crank all the knobs, reseated the saddle and tuned it up. I gigged the bass that night and for another couple months before replacing it with my first 5 string in early 1991 (Carvin LB75). I even recorded a demo after the smash... Sprout - Daily and Sprout - No Surprise (with unnamed jams before and after it) Excuse the mistakes, it was a one take live as a band on a 4 track cassette recorder with vocals overdubbed later... it was recorded with the intention of giving to potential singers, but people actually wanted copies :)

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I ride a Yamaha Vstar Classic. It's an 1100cc v twin. 2 tone paint, running boards front and rear with rear extenders, fibreglass bags and trunks, windshield... This my fav pic. It was 30c in town at the base of this mountain. buddy riding with us said he was going to go swimming in the lake when we hit the summit. LOL ya ok... we had to stop part way so he could put a jacket on

1005515_1416468468576500_594504375_n.jpg

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I did an interesting gig tonight. It was a long table dinner. There were reps from MLA, corrections, etc as this was put on by a society that helps the helpless. I played a bit, then a group of 4 native men did a traditional song, then an elder (known him for a few years now, very softspoken man) sang a native song and just blew me away. He had pipes man wow... we were inside a brand new greenhouse. Then there were speeches until dinner was served. My stage was sheets of plywood over the dirt LOL. it was awesome. I did about 70 mins total playing while there, if that. and I booked another dinner for summer and a gig at a theatre club. Right now I have hit 90 shows for this year. I sat down, opened the puter and had 5 gigs waiting to confirm... My goal is to break 100. Just 10 more to go.

James, I drool everytime I see the stand up. I truly want one some day. Maybe when I sell all my detailing gear and have room in here... for guitar I mostly just use my zoom guitar pedal. it has usb and I can edit any amp and cabinet I want, most any fx pedal etc. I just need an expression pedal to plug in and it will be volume or wah (I just use auto wah right now when I use it)

Reactions: Skold

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
I've never had a guitar or bass in 'bits'... I've had some cheap junk too. I had an Ibanez from 1989 (EX405) that my guitarist grabbed to take in his car for a gig while I had the amps in mine... he left it leaning on his rear fender (in a gig bag) and drove over it!!!! Pushed the knobs through the body, flipped a bridge saddle around... I used some channel lock pliers to crank all the knobs, reseated the saddle and tuned it up. I gigged the bass that night and for another couple months before replacing it with my first 5 string in early 1991 (Carvin LB75). I even recorded a demo after the smash... Sprout - Daily and Sprout - No Surprise (with unnamed jams before and after it) Excuse the mistakes, it was a one take live as a band on a 4 track cassette recorder with vocals overdubbed later... it was recorded with the intention of giving to potential singers, but people actually wanted copies :)

I've used a 4 track too, I now use a digital 12 track to record. Pretty nifty little device :)

Reactions: Pipeous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread