Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I thought there was a period in history where people cared about others.
Or maybe it has always been just a small percentage of people.

Do we, as a population, really care less about others than we used to?
I must admit that I'm not sure what's going on.

But still, I could swear it was with the help of friends and neighbors that people overcame obstacles.
Not so much with the help of Big Government.

I still give to charities, but maybe I'm just naive.
Perhaps better I spend that money on a shiny new car instead.
:shrug:

"Care about others" is what is the driving PR for ANTZ and TC nuts. It depends upon what one cares about with regard to others. If you care about their rights, that's one thing. If you care about their choices in food, drink, vape, smoke, sex, lifestyle in general.... in a manner where you want to dictate what those choices 'should be', then that's another thing entirely.

I find allowing people the right to choose what they want is best. They don't always choose what you think might be best for them, but you ain't them :) And if it is a wrong choice - that's the only way they can learn. I'm not saying everyone will learn - only, that's about the only way they will. They learn other bad things when being dictated to - sometimes worse things.

I contribute much to those organizations that advocate choice - free minds free market types... and a few favorite charities that I have researched that do well with the money they get (ie. % to care vs. % to admin) for cures, help, etc.

But.... you may be helping more people by buying a shiny new car - those at the dealership, those at the manufacturer, those outside manufacturers who provide parts, those who will service the car, etc. etc. :) ....and their families and most importantly, their children :facepalm: :laugh:

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
I thought there was a period in history where people cared about others.
Or maybe it has always been just a small percentage of people.

Do we, as a population, really care less about others than we used to?
I must admit that I'm not sure what's going on.

But still, I could swear it was with the help of friends and neighbors that people overcame obstacles.
Not so much with the help of Big Government.

I still give to charities, but maybe I'm just naive.
Perhaps better I spend that money on a shiny new car instead.
:shrug:

You're not being naïve--Americans are among the most generous people on the planet. But people have been conditioned to believe cigarette smoking is a filthy, dangerous addiction, or even a disease that needs to be stamped out. For decades, the public has been taught that most lifelong smokers get hooked onto smoking as teens. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but that's why California's latest attack is so cunning--making them public equate vaping with smoking, and then reminding them how awful smoking was. It's a straw man approach to steering public opinion. It's a shame, too--I remember just a few years ago, when most non-smokers were very congratulatory whenever a smoker took up vaping. Most seemed to find the aroma of vapor to be a vast improvement over tobacco smoke.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
"Care about others" is what is the driving PR for ANTZ and TC nuts. It depends upon what one cares about with regard to others. If you care about their rights, that's one thing. If you care about their choices in food, drink, vape, smoke, sex, lifestyle in general.... in a manner where you want to dictate what those choices 'should be', then that's another thing entirely.

I find allowing people the right to choose what they want is best. They don't always choose what you think might be best for them, but you ain't them :) And if it is a wrong choice - that's the only way they can learn. I'm not saying everyone will learn - only, that's about the only way they will. They learn other bad things when being dictated to - sometimes worse things.

I contribute much to those organizations that advocate choice - free minds free market types... and a few favorite charities that I have researched that do well with the money they get (ie. % to care vs. % to admin) for cures, help, etc.

But.... you may be helping more people by buying a shiny new car - those at the dealership, those at the manufacturer, those outside manufacturers who provide parts, those who will service the car, etc. etc. :) ....and their families and most importantly, their children :facepalm: :laugh:
Didn't find anything to disagree with in there.
:)

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
CA and their piddling pennies from the MSA at risk...

Pocket change.

Do a simple calculation, a very conservative calculation

1 million smokers take up vaping. 1 million vapers increase their statistical life expectancy by - let's say - an average of six months.

Six months in which you entitled to draw your pension. Six months the pension funds didn't have in their books when they signed you on....

And the number of people chucking the tobacco in favour of vapes is rising...

MSA payments ? Chicken feed....

Vaping is going to have some real ripple effects. Nowhere near like in the days of the industrial revolution, but it sure is going to rock the boat sum'bad...

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I posted this video on my fb page yesterday. When I have tried to tell friends and family about these money issues, I get lots of eye rolls and silence. But this professional looking video explains things so well, I actually got a positive response on it and a little outrage. I had to refrain from saying "I keep trying to tell you the same thing, but you won't listen to me!"

Well done.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I believe it's because the majority of the general population believe that all ecigs are made by the tobacco companies.

I dunno, that is probably a factor, and I suppose fear of the unknown is a factor. That seems to be what the government types wanting to ban/regulate it are playing on.
Vaping is a gateway to satanism!

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Great video. It's only half truths though. If you think an economy like California fail based on lack of MSA money I have a bridge you can buy. As one poster pointed out there certainly will be some ripple effect but not to the extent of the dramatic video. I don't care as much about taxing juice as I do about overall regulation. The video is designed to smack you in the face. There is certainly some truth in it. I always consider the source. CASSA is about harm reduction of regulation as much as it is about harm reduction to Joe six pack vapor converted from smoker. This is a good thing.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I dunno, that is probably a factor, and I suppose fear of the unknown is a factor. That seems to be what the government types wanting to ban/regulate it are playing on.
Vaping is a gateway to satanism!

I'm seeing a lot of it on social media and in articles I'm reading online. Tons of people think vaping is a tobacco thing and lots of people don't realize the vaping community even exists. I didn't until 18 months ago or so.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
The vaping industry is a completely unfettered free-market enterprise so far, and government powers absolutely hate that. And they fear it.
In many ways their 'war' is not against vaping, per se, but against the fact that they don't have control over it. The financial considerations, as pointed out in the video, are huge. But the sense of control is the real motivation.

We'll see a lot of technologies in the very near future that have the potential to change a lot of lives for the better. Government greed, anxiety, and hubris across the globe will try to squash them in the same way that they're trying to squash vaping.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I posted this video on my fb page yesterday. When I have tried to tell friends and family about these money issues, I get lots of eye rolls and silence. But this professional looking video explains things so well, I actually got a positive response on it and a little outrage. I had to refrain from saying "I keep trying to tell you the same thing, but you won't listen to me!"

Well done.

Me too pam - not FB but through email and have gotten stellar responses from it. 'Didn't know all of that and it explained it really well' type responses from fellow vapers and non-vapers that know some of the story of what's happening.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
CA and their piddling pennies from the MSA at risk...

Pocket change.

Do a simple calculation, a very conservative calculation

1 million smokers take up vaping. 1 million vapers increase their statistical life expectancy by - let's say - an average of six months.

Six months in which you entitled to draw your pension. Six months the pension funds didn't have in their books when they signed you on....

And the number of people chucking the tobacco in favour of vapes is rising...

MSA payments ? Chicken feed....

Vaping is going to have some real ripple effects. Nowhere near like in the days of the industrial revolution, but it sure is going to rock the boat sum'bad...

Bravo! So we can safely say: Anyone who is against vaping wants to sentence my friends and loved ones to an early grave!

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
My family loved this video! I asked if they'd like to see a fun, compelling video that explains everything I've shared with them that made their eyes glaze over but this one won't. They eagerly hit the play button. They gasped and aha'd and even yelled "what marketing to kids???" They get it now. Outstanding video!

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Thanks for sharing doc. Great message and I want to love the video, but I don't.

I'm not a judgmental person but many in the target audience are and equate elaborate neck tattoos with poor decisions. I know it's only two out of about a dozen shots but it's two too many for the general populace that have no idea who any of these people are or how they've positioned themselves within the vaping community.

Unless this is specifically meant to engage and inform vapors, the producers should have put a little more thought into the presentation and public perception.

:2c:

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I agree with scottitude that the video seems geared more toward the younger vaping crowd. I don't recognize any of those people in the vid but I don't stay on top of things in the vaping world outside of what's going on legislation wise. I do think some tweaking is appropriate as far as who is represented in vaping vids go and who the vids target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread