MXJO Yellow/Silver 35A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 15A-20A battery, but near an HG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-35A constant current and 30A-60A pulsed. These cells were purchased by me and used only for testing thanks to the incredible donations many of you made. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is only a decent performing 15A-20A continuous discharge current (CDR) high capacity cell. Its capacity is about 12% lower than the LG HG2 and it runs a few degrees-C hotter.

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating on it then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuous. Otherwise they would have listed the current rating with two numbers as other companies have done.

Battery buyers should not have to go to the company's web site just to find out what the number on the wrap means. I will be testing cells at the rating listed on the wrap and pointing out when they fail to meet that listed rating. These MXJO cells failed to meet the rating on their wraps by a huge margin.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A it reached about 2750mAh. This is average performance for a 3000mAh-rated cell at 10A.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 72°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 87°C. This is 10°C above the average for a cell operating at its CDR. The capacity was 12% lower than a LG HG2 at 20A.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 101°C. This is way too high for a cell operating at its CDR and is a degree above my safety limit of 100°C.
    • A single discharge at 35A was done to show the cell's performance at the rating on its wrap. The voltage quickly dropped to below 3.0V and the temperature skyrocketed to 119°C. This is an unsafe temperature and this is clearly not a 35A cell!
    • After this 35A discharge, another discharge at 20A shows the huge amount of damage done to the cell after a single discharge at 35A.
    • Using another cell, doing three 20A discharges showed that no damage was being done to the cell at this discharge current level.
    • I am setting a CDR of 15A-20A for this cell. Its temperature is too high at 20A to give it that rating. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 15A-20A.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 30A-60A, 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread