Status
Not open for further replies.

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
It did revive the one that was very "spurty"! But, for some reason, I'm not loving these 5.2s as much as when I first got them. I don't know if they have a short life, or if my tastebuds have changed. At first I thought that they were better on throat hit and flavor, now it seems as if there is a better throat hit, but the flavor is, um, something I can't really describe, maybe like a chemically mix in the throat????

m401 user

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
just performed dry burns as described on all my burnt-tasted attys and finally got clean taste on some of them. those that still taste burnt when getting dry must still have some residue between coil and wick that can´t be removed by water flushing (anyhow, it´s just a hint of burnt taste now, i can´t use it but it definitely worked). BTW, i tried every possible method on them before, so there can be residue of vinegar, H2O2 and whatever... nevermind, those which cleaned will do the trick until spare ones delivered...
THANKS. greatest thread for me.

Last edited:

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
After a few more days of testing I've modified this a bit for my own situation. My 510's gunk up bad after a few days on the darker tobacco flavor I use. The regular cleaning helped, but getting the attys back to "like new" performance now involves a pre-soak in denture cleaner. After a dip in the pool I'm having an easier time cooking off the gunk with the dry-burn. I also do a few "mini-burns" in-between cleanings. It doesn't take much time and seems to keep the atty from gunking up as fast.

Janie47

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2010
Tennessee
If they're popping and sizzling, the atomizer is not dry. This method requires the atomizer to be completely dry.

What if they are sizzling just a little, no glow, and zero vapor?

Also, I feel silly asking this, but how can one tell if we've "popped" an atty? :confused:

Thanks much!

Last edited:

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Janie and jaxx: If your atty is sizzling and not glowing, it sounds like it is not getting completely dry. This could either be because there is still juice in it (need to rinse with water more thoroughly) or that you are using stock batts that just don't have enough power to do the job. This works much better with a passthrough, or even better with a BB mod.
As Thy stated earlier, you can speed the drying process by blowing air down the tube while holding the button. This lets the moist air clear out and increases the evaporation process.

When I tried to pin down the best way to do this method with stock batts, it seemed like just dry puffing the atty (either tail piping or with an empty cart) was the best way to dry it. Also, the drying step alone can drain a stock battery, so you may have to go through a couple batts before you are done.

BTW: a 'dead' or 'popped' atty will be stone cold. If it heats at all, you haven't killed it.

Janie47

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2010
Tennessee
Janie and jaxx: If your atty is sizzling and not glowing, it sounds like it is not getting completely dry. This could either be because there is still juice in it (need to rinse with water more thoroughly) or that you are using stock batts that just don't have enough power to do the job. This works much better with a passthrough, or even better with a BB mod.
As Thy stated earlier, you can speed the drying process by blowing air down the tube while holding the button. This lets the moist air clear out and increases the evaporation process.

When I tried to pin down the best way to do this method with stock batts, it seemed like just dry puffing the atty (either tail piping or with an empty cart) was the best way to dry it. Also, the drying step alone can drain a stock battery, so you may have to go through a couple batts before you are done.

BTW: a 'dead' or 'popped' atty will be stone cold. If it heats at all, you haven't killed it.

Thanks again HighPing! I am using stock 510 batteries (I guess 3.7 volt) so it makes sense it's taking me a bit longer. Nevertheless, it seems to be working....and how happy I am to know that I haven't killed one yet! AWESOME!

I'm still lovin' the cart mods you came up with too! You made my day nearly stress free. K.I.S.S. You rock HighPing!
:thumbs:

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! That's really great to hear. Makes me wish I had some more tips to improve things.

I think I've got the atty and cart part of it down to pretty simplified processes, so be watching for some how-to's on DIY batt mods and juice feed systems from me in the near future. :) I thrive on simple, so I am trying to come up with some ways for beginners to build their own BB mods without a lot of soldering and electronics experience.
It's very freeing to get off the stock batteries, and I would like to get some mods designed that can be done in 4-5 steps and be built out of some common household items for under 10 bucks.

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! That's really great to hear. Makes me wish I had some more tips to improve things.

I think I've got the atty and cart part of it down to pretty simplified processes, so be watching for some how-to's on DIY batt mods and juice feed systems from me in the near future. :) I thrive on simple, so I am trying to come up with some ways for beginners to build their own BB mods without a lot of soldering and electronics experience.
It's very freeing to get off the stock batteries, and I would like to get some mods designed that can be done in 4-5 steps and be built out of some common household items for under 10 bucks.

Well get to it already :p

fishingc.gif

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread