My Atty Resurrection Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamBone

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Illinois
ping, i have to give it to ya, it works like a charm. I have a box i have all my old "burnt out attys" in and just tried this on two of them and my god they work like new. Looks like Im am going to have to break down and buy a passthru so I can revive the rest of them. Thank you so much this just saved me a ton of money.

JamBone

portguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Portugal
I have one atty that is working okay but its getting harder and harder blow through. was easy to blow through a week or so ago. will this method fix that hard to blow through stuff.

Probably it will. Seems to me that the vent holes on the atty must be clogged, try to blow on the atty from cart side.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
I have one atty that is working okay but its getting harder and harder blow through. was easy to blow through a week or so ago. will this method fix that hard to blow through stuff.

Yes, if you do the rinse the way I described in the 'tips on the rinse' part of the OP, it will flush out the vent holes and all the nickel foam.
Just fill the atty with water (it will run out on it own pretty quickly) , but before it runs out, put your mouth on the cart side and blow the water through. It's like a little power wash for the atty (mouth powered).
Note: I usually cup my hand around it a little because water will shoot out of the little side holes and get all over the counter (or me depending on how it's turned).

This always seems to help the attys that have a hard draw.

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
I did try this on another one that is hard to suck through and it didn't seem to help, but I will try again. problem with this method and normal batteries and you can drain two batteries before its dry. either that or my ATTY is just dead. And I only have 3 batteries so I need them fully charged or I won't make it through the night.

Yes, if you do the rinse the way I described in the 'tips on the rinse' part of the OP, it will flush out the vent holes and all the nickel foam.
Just fill the atty with water (it will run out on it own pretty quickly) , but before it runs out, put your mouth on the cart side and blow the water through. It's like a little power wash for the atty (mouth powered).
Note: I usually cup my hand around it a little because water will shoot out of the little side holes and get all over the counter (or me depending on how it's turned).

This always seems to help the attys that have a hard draw.

wave42

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
New Mexico
I did try this on another one that is hard to suck through and it didn't seem to help, but I will try again. problem with this method and normal batteries and you can drain two batteries before its dry. either that or my ATTY is just dead. And I only have 3 batteries so I need them fully charged or I won't make it through the night.

You can always try using canned air.

I use a method similar to this but I use canned air through the bottom and vent holes to force the moisture/gunk out and shorten the burn time. I haven't lost an atty yet.

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
maybe I need to get some canned air, but I tried with two attys that are clogged, running under hot water, blowing through, and they are just as clogged. But regardless of that, how do you know when the atty is dead?

Two that I reacently got and did this process, they light up nicely now.

But one that is two weeks old and one that I've had for a couple of months, they will light, but its more of a dim red glow and starts to fade after a little bit. Also, it takes a few seconds for them to come up. probably twice the time of the good ones. Does that mean they are just dead? They are definatley dry, I did one of them through like two batteries and it just doesn't get super bright and doesn't come on very fast.

Just wanted to add my results. I was struggling with this as I can't seem to find an orange glow! I am cleaning out a 510 on a usb pass through. I came to the conclusion that I was getting somewhere when I could no longer hear the sizzling.
I also used a magnifying glass and compared the *clean* atty to a clogged one and could see the difference.
Just took a drag and got a great draw which I had been really missing!! Throat hit is perfect as well. No vapor but I don't care about that. I am going to be keeping track of my atomizers and juice in more detail next time I get a new batch. One things I think I did notice was darker colored (root beer and coffee) juice seemed to clog my atty's up faster.
Off to clean out 2 more atty's- thanks for the tip!!

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
I just did this since the atty I've been using for almost 3 months really decreased in performance this week. It's totally back to life now and only took about 15 minutes.

broomgal: Try blowing softly into the atty while you're doing the dry burn. That's the only way I could get the orange glow.

I have to agree with the "dark juice theory" as my atty was a powerhouse until I started vaping TV's tobacco last week. Now I know how to safely revive them!

Thanks highping!

I just did this since the atty I've been using for almost 3 months really decreased in performance this week. It's totally back to life now and only took about 15 minutes.

broomgal: Try blowing softly into the atty while you're doing the dry burn. That's the only way I could get the orange glow.

I have to agree with the "dark juice theory" as my atty was a powerhouse until I started vaping TV's tobacco last week. Now I know how to safely revive them!

Thanks highping!

Thanks for the tip! I got to a point where I could see some white vapor appear- kind of like little curls of smoke in the atty but never anything orange. Will keep trying though.

Remjin

Jan 18, 2010
Illinois
Thanks for the tip! I got to a point where I could see some white vapor appear- kind of like little curls of smoke in the atty but never anything orange. Will keep trying though.

I have some SLB atomizers and some Joye atomizers. The SLB atomizers don't seem to show as well and don't seem to work as well with Joye stuff. The Joye atomizers show orange. THe SLB seem obscured and work best with their own batteries which put out a slightly higher voltage (3.3v vs Joye's 3.1v).

That may be part of it, depending on where you bought it. If its a Joye and no orange, then I don't know what to tell you. =)

vaporjoey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There are three key steps that take care of that burnt taste.
First getting ALL the juice out in the rinse stage. It's not the wick that's burning it's the leftover juice.
Second, the sustained orange glow is important for to turn all the stuff that's on the coil (and in the wick) to ash. I'm guessing if you are using stock 401 batts, you may not be getting it hot enough.
Third, the second rinse, to wash all that ash out.

I've been using tap water on the atty that I mentioned in the OP, and like I said, 300ml of juice vaped through it (closer to 400 now) and still going strong.

Awsum info.....I just started vaping yesterday and I found that I was getting the burnt taste because I was hitting my pv way too often, like one after another. I guess I was running it dry because I was not giving it time to wick new juice to the atty. I was really bumming because they tasted like crap, then I tried this method of cleaning and it tastes perfect again...Lesson learned, slow steady hits, wait at least 30 sec. or longer...After the cleaning this thing was rolling clouds of tasty vape again....:D:D

Doh!:oops:

I did pop a couple attys back when I first started doing this method, but anytime that happened it was because I let them get too bright by holding the button for 2-3 seconds when the atty was already dry. If you just let them get to a soft orange glow, they will not blow.
Once you are past the drying step, you should not hold the button for more than one second. It should really be much shorter than that. More like a button pulse of 2-3 times a second. (I will add this to the OP) I have never blown an atty using the button pulse method.

Seems like all you're referring to are the manual type and I'm using automatic.. so how do I get to the 'orange glow', etc.??

(one week on 510's)

I have 1 original atty (3 months vaping) that I got so frustrated with that I removed the wick and the bridge - and then put it to bed.
Just got a passthru so I will try this method to see if it will be revived. I now have 3 attys working, 2 without wick ( another story & inexperience) and 1 with.
I hooked them all up to the passthru and dry burned them while blowing on them. The gurgling went away, the coils turned a bright orange and the sizzle was back (more so on the 2 without wicks). dripped to prime and they are back, even without the wick (still not as much vapor as the 1 still intact)
I think so many people are confused by what they are seeing in their attys with all of the white strands everywhere, the burnt taste etc (if the atty prime isn't burnt off) that we/I think that there is something wrong.
I started up a new atty the other day (it didn't work like the 1 I was running now) and I got so ...... that I pulled the wick, the coils were not heating up and I ended up butchering it and tossing it in the trash. Felt good...though I didn't have a spare on me so the ride home wasn't all that fun. sorry for the long post. Very happy that the 3 are cleaned a running well...tomorrow we'll check on the dead ones in the box. it would be good to replace the dumpster diver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread