My before and after results of using DeoxIt Gold on an SS GGTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinky Uncle Ed

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
US
Just an observation, I have gone ahead and used the deoxit gold on both of my SS GGTS's. The buttons now have a different feel to them that I really like. The deoxit gold is filling in all the gaps in the button housing and there is no loose feel to the components at all when pressing it. It almost has a solid noise when pressing the buttons now. I don't think a better button spring would make a difference in my case because I feel that the deoxit gold is allowing all the bits of the button to make a great electric contact with each other so it is not relying on the spring to transmit current as much. From my second link about deoxit gold "These products are initially non-conductive liquids, when subjected to an electrical field, DeoxIT® and DeoxIT® GOLD promote current flow".

I think that where better springs would make a difference is for those that don't have the fuse upgrade and are relying on the battery post spring to make a contact to the negative battery terminal (In the stealth model for example), and for stock button springs where deoxit gold has not been used. As for the fuse springs, they rely on the built in resistance as a means of heating up under load and burning out or collapsing when a short occurs. If these were to be plated, their resistive properties would change and possibly stop working correctly. The only way to improve their connection inside the fuse post would probably just be to plate the ends that make the connections inside the fuse post, but again I am accomplishing that connection issue with the deoxit gold. Of similar concept is how people have sanded the bottoms of their fuse springs for a better contact area.

As a note for anyone that may try the deoxit gold, I would stay away from the positive battery terminal inside the GGTS. On my stealth model, my positive pin had become a bit loose, and having the spray applicator, some of the deoxit gold was able to migrate into the atty connector. Let’s just say it tasted awful, and I had to clean out my atty and connector and I don't know how unsafe vaping deoxit gold is for you. Plus as Imeo said, the battery contact is polished nickel and has great conductivity anyway.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
All contacts on GGTS are high polished and nickel plated so they have the best contactivity that a mod can have. The issue is always on the springs. Thats why flashlights stop responding many times. Its the silly spring that cause the issues the most of the time. Thats why I dislike springs so much and I tried to replace them with magnets and thats why VV module will not have springs at all inside it.

The battery spring is not an issue for GGTS because it is pushed hard from the telescope. So a plated spring inside button and a little stronger too would solve any issue.

As for the springs inside the fuse, we need plated ones but we have to make some tests first to check their behavior as Uncle said because of the different material on them after plating.

ps....... deoxit did a good job because it allows more surface of the spring to be in contact with the case of the button and with the button's pin, so current flows better. Thats why I say that a better spring would solve any issue for ever

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
copper is getting black by the time Papa so it will lose contuctivity. If you see the nickel GGTS connections are always clean. Nickel gets dark only when we touch it by our hands but inside GGTS is always clean and white. Its contactivity is very good because nickel is a hard material and in the top ten list of contactive metals. So the only we need is a nickel spring:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread