May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.

TH0MAS CR0WN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
CA
Not really surprised with this. I love the CE4, but usually when I use it I take off the black drip tip/mouth piece that it comes with. I started doing this because when I used the CE4 clearo I noticed there was a plastic taste (I've seen plenty of people complain about it). I found that by simply removing the drip tip it comes with and vaping with it off the plastic taste is gone & the flavor is much better.

I figured this most likely happens because the drip tip that's included with it is too close to the metal/atomizer in there and it starts to melt itself (exactly what happened in your case). I wish that other drip tips would fit in these for this reason.

Try vaping with the drip tip off & you'll see a pretty noticeable difference in vape & flavor!

edit: My main liquid I've been using with my 2.1-2.4 ohm Vision clearo is RY8, which is really thick. And Peach and/or AVE Hype in my other 2.5-2.9 clearo.

anfleet

May 19, 2012
St. Louis
Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
The plastic drip tip for the clearomizer melt when I took it out for a routine refill.
Had been vaping on RY4 exclusively for this particular clearomizer.

I'm starting to get worried about vaping. :unsure:

I had a similar experience to yours with an atomizer the other day. I was using an empty cartridge as a mouthpiece (maybe not the best thing to do now that I think about it) while I was dripping on the atty. I had just re-dripped on the atty and took a vape or two, when I started noticing a funky taste that wasn't too overpowering. When I took the cartidge off, it had started to melt. No doubt it was from the heat, as I wasn't using any kind of citric or cinnamon juice.
Maybe some materials just can't keep up with frequent (chain) vaping...

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
The "condensation" contains juice residue and will crack certain plastics the same way juice will. But unless you're made of plastic, it's probably safe for you.

Polycarbonite, which is what most "clear' tanks are made of, is fairly susceptible to damage from esters and very susceptible to damage by Aldehydes

Cinnamaldehyde, which is what gives Cinnamon it's flavor is an Aldehyde. You don't want to use anything with that in it in a Polycarbonite tank. It's safe for you, but it will very quickly and spectacularly destroy Polycarbonite.

Esters are created when you mix a carboylic acid with an alcohol. PG is an alcohol. Acetic Acid (gives Vinegar it's sour taste), Citric Acid, malic acid & tartaric acid are all carbolyic acids used fairly regularly in juices & flavorings which when mixed with PG and heated can create esters which then attack the plastic causing it to fog, soften, "melt" or completely disintegrate (depending on the concentration of esters present and how long they are allowed to attack the plastic).
Esters are prevalent in nature and many natural foods and most are non-toxic to humans. But to some plastics, they're death.

A simple way to check your juices for this kind of reactivity is to take some juice and put it in a small container. Break off a small piece of Styrofoam (polystyrene) and add it to the juice. Set the juice in a warm location (I put it on top of my DVR which is always fairly hot) and leave it for a week. If the styrofoam is unaffected, the juice is probably ok to use in a tank. Styrofoam reacts to most of the same things Polycarbonite does, often much more quickly. If the styrofoam dissolves, you probably don't want to use that juice in a clear plastic tank.
It's not a 100% accurate test as some things that will dissolve styrofoam are fine in tanks and vice versa but, for our purposes it's close enough and better than blindly risking a tank.
Good info and tips. I pretty much have a idea of what flavors do it. I started DIY and while back and worked them out. I love my Malted Root Beer. That pretty much all I vape now. But u can bet I will be giving a S foam test a time or two now. :toast:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA

They only have longer wicks. Otherwise they're the same as the version 1s. At least according to Healthcabin:
"The upgraded Vision clearomizers with long wicks are made exact same as original Vision eGo Transparent clearomizer for eGo (Short Wick). Same structure. Same material. Same Vapor."

This according to Discount Vapers
Vision eGo CE4+ Clearomizer DV Edition
New Better tubes, factory says they will not crack*
Made with "PCPGPX1001"
* factories make a lot of claims but they did say they use PCPGPX1001, so I have to take them at their word, they do seem better in my opinion.

Frankly, I don't trust anything Healthcabin says. They'll tell you these are identical to the original version, except the wick. What about the fact that the originals had a re-buildable atomizer? They don't bother telling you that the new ones can't be rebuilt. IMO, they'll say anything to move whatever it is they have in stock.

Last edited:

pathetix

May 7, 2012
Yellow River
Thank you guys for your answers. Very informative for me and I hope they are for others too.
I have stopped with that particular RY4 for the time being.
Never knew there would be reactions between juices and those plastics. :blink:

One more question or confirmation that I want to ask is about the reaction of the juices.
Am I right to say that these juices will react with the plastic/Polycarbonite and it is a common thing.

But it won't have that kind of reaction with the human body.
I am just trying to overcome my initial paranoia :laugh:

Correct?

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
You are correct. Luckily, you aren't made of plastic. If you read a few posts above, you'll see that many of the things that melt the plastics are common ingredients in food. Citric acid, for example is in citrus fruit. It cracks plastic, but I've never had a problem eating an orange. Some of them are added to food items as a preservative. Some of them are just naturally occurring chemicals.

None of the things in juice that destroy plastic will hurt you. Even that RY4 is probably just fine if you use it in a regular cartomizer or a glass tank or one of the crack resistant clearomizers, like a Fluxomizer. So you can relax and vape!!

pathetix

May 7, 2012
Yellow River
You are correct. Luckily, you aren't made of plastic. If you read a few posts above, you'll see that many of the things that melt the plastics are common ingredients in food. Citric acid, for example is in citrus fruit. It cracks plastic, but I've never had a problem eating an orange. Some of them are added to food items as a preservative. Some of them are just naturally occurring chemicals.

None of the things in juice that destroy plastic will hurt you. Even that RY4 is probably just fine if you use it in a regular cartomizer or a glass tank or one of the crack resistant clearomizers, like a Fluxomizer. So you can relax and vape!!

Thank you! I was worried at that point of time.
I can never go back to analog cigarettes. Starting to feel suffocated by the cigarette smell. LOL

Desert Willow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Bullhead City, AZ

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
I have been using the same Vision Stardust clearomizer for the last month - vaping RY4 out of it, (ECBlend's), and I have not had any of the problems that happened to your clearomizer. I have used that Stardust on multiple KGO batteries and 3 different mods using 18650 and 14650 batteries. None of these have made my clearomizer melt, but all of them are around a steady 3.7 volts and not VV units.

~Tiger

ThinkPink

Verified Member
May 24, 2012
NH
I had something similar happen over the weekend but, it was with a v2 cigs carto. It came prefilled with menthol. I vaped that and refilled/topped off with pineapple juice. I was using it when I heard a pop and saw a spark. I foolishly thought it was my mind playing tricks on me and I kept using it. It wasn't until I was topping it off and black liquid started dripping out of it that I knew there was really a problem. I'm surprised it actually kept working. I have no idea what could have caused it to happen. I had not just refilled, the carto wasn't dry and when I removed it to top off, the battery wasn't wet

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I had something similar happen over the weekend but, it was with a v2 cigs carto. It came prefilled with menthol. I vaped that and refilled/topped off with pineapple juice. I was using it when I heard a pop and saw a spark. I foolishly thought it was my mind playing tricks on me and I kept using it. It wasn't until I was topping it off and black liquid started dripping out of it that I knew there was really a problem. I'm surprised it actually kept working. I have no idea what could have caused it to happen. I had not just refilled, the carto wasn't dry and when I removed it to top off, the battery wasn't wet

I had a battery issue with a V-2 also. Charger shorted out. Was so hot I could not touch the battery. Thank god I caught it in time.

Donovan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: UnRegistered Supplier

pathetix

May 7, 2012
Yellow River
LOL! You put it in your pocket but forgot to shut it off first. Let me tell you a quick story...
I had a CE2 clearomizer on an eGo battery and I put it in my pocket without shutting the battery off....if you think yours is melted you should have seen mine! It looked like it had been microwaved or something.

I don't think that was the problem with mine, as I always separate the battery and the clearomizer while travelling.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
I think it is heat plain and simple . Some of the time if a coil is not getting enough air you get a lot of heat but not alot of vapour so you maybe tempted to hold the button down longer . Just a guess on my part . That looks like a visions stardust to me and I think it can be helped by more air . An adaptor will give it more air .

Donovan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
  • Deleted by classwife

Donovan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
  • Deleted by classwife
Status
Not open for further replies.