My daughters pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny Ottens

May 3, 2016
Could it be possible that something to do with vaping caused her pets to die? Her and her husband have been vaping over a year now or maybe 2 I don't remember exactly. About 2 months ago her cat who was 13 years old died. And then her 7 year old Siamese cat died a purple weeks ago. Now her Australian cattle dog is sick. My daughter is very careful when she vapes I think but her husband is very careless. Their pets were always getting in the trash can in the kitchen which wasn't covered. What if they had thrown something in there and the animals licked it or he dripped something on counter in the kitchen? I've seen her cats up there.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
It's possible but I would look for other, more natural causes first. For instance, her oldest cat may have got feline leukemia and then infected her younger cat, killing them both. Dogs get sick, it happens. Mine spent a full week in an emergency pet clinic from a leptospirosis infection that almost killed her. This is much more common in the early spring in southern states where the warm climate and constant wet weather allows the bacteria to grow in pools and puddles of stagnant water that the dog may drink from.

Has she taken any of these animals to a vet? If so, what was the vet's diagnosis?

Penny Ottens

May 3, 2016
No that's the problem. She called them but for a simple blood test $160 for a toxic screen more money. She is on SSI and has very little money. We would help her but my husband can't even afford his insurance with Obama Care it is $300 a month
Are you sure if they licked some of the juice like the cereal cream or peanut butter or what ever they wouldn't get sick?

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
It's reported that cats are sensitive to PG, but it takes a LOT of exposure to cause anemia (as in you'd have to blow it in their faces all the time). No ill effect at all for dogs reported.

As most vape liquids have VG, this limits the PG levels, and your daughter (and husband) might be vaping high VG stuff anyways.

I have three cats and my wife has been vaping for about 8 years, and no ill effects on the cats at all. (and why I've looked into this a while back)

If anything, there's possibly something else in that house that could be the reason (unless the animals are getting into the nicotine, massive amounts of nicotine would be bad for any animal and humans too), or just plain bad luck.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I am a chain vaper who vapes 95% of the time at my laptop in my closed bedroom. I cloud up the room to the point that when my son enters, he says it looks like Cheech and Chong have been in here. My 14-year-old cat lives 100% of the time in my room, often sitting next to me while I vape, and has had no ill effects after nearly 3 years of me vaping. I vape 30/70 PG/VG. Unless they're chain vaping high PG juices my opinion is that it's not vaping that's causing them harm. Just my :2c:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Cats are reported to be sensitive/allergic (?) to PG. How bad that might be, don't know.

I feel for your friend though, as vaping itself should be no trouble although everyone needs to be careful with large amounts of highly concentrated Nicotine liquid.
A used bottle is safe enough. Even a partly used bottle of diluted Nicotine liquid (like we vape) shouldn't be a worry.

Sad to hear though, and worrisome.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I looked this up some time ago, and found that cats are sensitive to ingesting PG in "large amounts." This article had nothing to do with vaping, so it didn't mention inhalation, it was more concerned about PG-based anti-freeze. It went on to say that at one time, approximately 25% of "soft cat food" (canned? soft kibbles? it didn't specify) was PG, but that *some* cats had had a bad reaction to that food (made by Heinz) so they discontinued using it. What I got from that article was that vaping wasn't dangerous to cats, but consuming over a certain amount of straight PG "might" be. There were a lot of intimations and inconclusive statements, but the general gist of it was it's only dangerous in large amounts if eaten/drunk.

We have a bunch of cats, and a couple of them are old (15 and 16 years), and none have shown any adverse effects from my husband and me vaping. And early in the morning, when I have my coffee and first vape, I can cloud up the room. ;)

Reactions: djsvapour

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
For the question of cats and PG, the info out there :

Propylene glycol is used as a moistening agent in softer pet foods, such as chewy treats. Though the Food & Drug Administration considers the additive to be safe for most animals, it officially declared propylene glycol unsafe for cats in 1996. Most cat food makers stopped adding propylene glycol to their formulas in 1992 when it was discovered that large doses of propylene glycol can trigger a blood disease known as “Heinz body” anemia in cats. ......(more...).

So basically, unless you're putting it in their water dish, it's virtually impossible to have them absorb enough to be harmful in any way via vaping.

That means that something else is killing these animals. Maybe if they just quit smoking last year, it might have been too late and the cigarette smoke damage to the animals was already done?

Last edited:

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
If her pets are always getting into the uncovered kitchen trash can, they could have eaten something that was harmful to them. There are many foods that we eat that can cause illness in pets. We had to get a locking (just push a tab in on the lid) kitchen trash can because one of our dogs constantly got into our covered trash can. It's not just food, either. Our dogs like to chew on plastic, empty cans, etc. The locking trash can definitely works.

Is it possible that they got into medication or cleaning supplies? Do they have any houseplants? There are some plants that are dangerous for pets if they eat them - and believe me, our cats and dogs will go after anything they think may be food.

You did not say how old the dog is. With the older cat, there is also the possibility that it simply died of old age.

I am really sorry to hear of the loss of their cats, and the dog's illness. There are plenty of other possibilities other than vaping, however. I hope they can find a cause for their pets all getting ill so close together.

Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread