My decision to switch to unflavored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
After much time deliberating (I kind of knew I'd make this switch after the paranoia got to me enough) I've decided to finish off/sell the last of my flavored e-liquid and switch to straight VG/nic base.

The information is just way too flim-flammy right now, and measurements for AP/diacetyl are sort of inconsequential or impossible to quantify because we don't know how much damage the stuff actually does. You've got some people saying to avoid the stuff, then you've got other people saying it's totally harmless. The argument that "there are 100x the levels" in cigarettes seems sort of confusing, and the "people get popcorn lung but think it's COPD" thing is also silly, because popcorn lung is far more severe than COPD (based on information I've found).

But the biggest problem is the lack of effort being made, on the part of juice companies, to remove these potentially harmful chemicals from their e-juice. "Oh but nyiddle, if it's not one thing it's another" well yeah, but this is something we are pretty sure isn't good to be inhaling, and no effort is being made to eradicate or minimize it from juice recipes. It's irresponsible. Not to mention, in the cases of companies that have supposedly eliminated diacetyl/AP from their e-liquids, they're often tested to find out the diacetyl/AP is still absolutely there! (You know who I'm talking about).

"Harm reduction" means exactly that. Obviously vaping will never be 100% safe (nothing is). But think about this, you could go smoking your whole life and potentially, potentially, never see any negative repercussions from it. Of course, you could smoke and get a horrible illness and live a terribly short life, it happens all the time. But imagine (hypothetically) in 5 years all these kids in their 20's who picked up vaping when they were 19 start suffering bronchiolitis obliterans. It's possible (though a slim possibility, I'll admit) they could have smoked their entire life and not seen negative repercussions. In this hypothetical situation, vaping is the opposite of harm reduction.

I'm not saying there's any truth to this idea that diketones are potentially screwing us all over, but at this point in time you'd be lying if you said "we really don't know," and the lack of information is scary. Even scarier is how nonchalant people seem to be about it. In the case of the factory workers they were exposed to something in the "ppb" (parts per billion) of diacetyl every day, for 8 hours. However, when analyzed, e-juice's diacetyl levels are meassured in the "ppm" (parts per million). That's 1000x more than found in factories. Nobody seems to mention this glaringly spooky fact: Our e-juice contains upwards of 1000x more diacetyl than the factory workers were exposed to, for 8 hours a day. What does this really mean for our health?

Nobody knows

So this was a pretty big rant, and I expect it to prompt some (ideally) non-derogatory, meaningful, and informative discussion. Otherwise, I suppose, get out the pitchforks. ----E

On a side note -- anyone know of any good vendors for pre-mixed VG+nicotine?

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
So just staying with the antifreeze?
then the VG can produce formaldehyde.

I expect it to prompt some (ideally) non-derogatory, meaningful, and informative discussion. Otherwise, I suppose, get out the pitchforks. ----E

Which did you choose.

Which pitchfork, I mean.

---E

---C

3---

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I see where you're coming from and what you're getting at. I don't think you're taking an extreme stance. Just a cautious one. I have myself vaped several liquids that have gunked up in very peculiar ways. Can't help but think that what didn't gunk up is currently residing in my lungs. ... and that's just things that look nasty.

While I'm not switching entirely to non-flavored, I have long used very low flavoring. "Tastes nice" isn't good enough. If it leaves some tarry black strange oily stuff in my atty - doesn't matter how nice it tastes. I do vape quite a bit of non-flavored, too. I find it quite pleasing. Too much VG, tho... and it tastes like lube... and gives a not-very-awesome lubey breath. :(

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Just sayin that nothing in life is totally safe. One just chooses their path and goes.
I wish all well upon their chosen path unless it messes up my chosen path and then woe be unto them.

Obviously nothing in life is totally safe:

Obviously vaping will never be 100% safe (nothing is).

Additionally, how is my decision to switch to unflavored affecting your path in any way? I'm not advocating switching to unflavored, I was just posting my qualms and concerns. Unnecessary paranoia or not, it's an addressable concern.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Obviously nothing in life is totally safe:

Additionally, how is my decision to switch to unflavored affecting your path in any way? I'm not advocating switching to unflavored, I was just posting my qualms and concerns. Unnecessary paranoia or not, it's an addressable concern.
It obviously does not impact my chosen path in any way. I just put that in as kind of a disclaimer and apologize if it was poorly stated. I fully support your chosen path.

Reactions: KattMamma

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
It obviously does not impact my chosen path in any way. I just put that in as kind of a disclaimer and apologize if it was poorly stated. I fully support your chosen path.

I see the edit now. Sorry for being a bit defensive, I just anticipate a bunch of mindless bashing as usually, when you challenge someone's set of beliefs (ie: people who believe vaping is as safe/safer than breathing air) they get a bit upset.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I see the edit now. Sorry for being a bit defensive, I just anticipate a bunch of mindless bashing as usually, when you challenge someone's set of beliefs (ie: people who believe vaping is as safe/safer than breathing air) they get a bit upset.
Yeah some seem to think vaping is safer than drinking water. Vaping will never be safer than not vaping.
I do understand your decision and support it. Minimizing health risks is a smart thing to do, I am just not too smart.
I did not start vaping for health reasons. My wife wanted me to vape for health reasons, I did it for cost savings and found I like it very much. Heck I might even become a cloud puffer someday, who knows?

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Yeah some seem to think vaping is safer than drinking water. Vaping will never be safer than not vaping.
I do understand your decision and support it. Minimizing health risks is a smart thing to do, I am just not too smart.
I did not start vaping for health reasons. My wife wanted me to vape for health reasons, I did it for cost savings and found I like it very much. Heck I might even become a cloud puffer someday, who knows?

I mean looking back on it, I did it primarily for cost reasons, but once I got into it I learned that I should stay away from custard/cream flavors because of diketones, but then I found out diketones were present in all flavors. Some fruity flavors even have more AP/diacetyl (according to tests) than some custard flavors! So with all the variables in mind, and the questionable nature of the limited amount of data, it just seemed like I might potentially be incurring more health risks than I did as a smoker.

I still don't want to go back to cigarettes if I can avoid it, obviously.

I see where you're coming from and what you're getting at. I don't think you're taking an extreme stance. Just a cautious one. I have myself vaped several liquids that have gunked up in very peculiar ways. Can't help but think that what didn't gunk up is currently residing in my lungs. ... and that's just things that look nasty.

While I'm not switching entirely to non-flavored, I have long used very low flavoring. "Tastes nice" isn't good enough. If it leaves some tarry black strange oily stuff in my atty - doesn't matter how nice it tastes. I do vape quite a bit of non-flavored, too. I find it quite pleasing. Too much VG, tho... and it tastes like lube... and gives a not-very-awesome lubey breath. :(

I've never tried straight VG, although hopefully I don't find the results too unpleasant.

Your decision is your decision. I respect it as stated. I don't see it as preaching. To each his own.

Appreciated.

Mindless bashing on the ecf!!! How dare they.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I mainly vape home mixed juices with relatively little flavor. And I use flavorings from reputable manufacturers who will have a lot to lose if they get caught sneaking diacetyl into their flavorings. That doesn't make me completely safe, but safe enough for my tastes.

One pre-mixed vanilla custard I have actually gives me breathing problems. It tastes terriffic, but the last half of the flask still sits in the cupboard. I haven't touched it for months, and I don't think I will. I prefer to be able to breathe. I have no idea what's in it, but whatever it is, it's not good for me.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway

Not to sidetrack. It just struck me that in a lot of places, vaping is a LOT safer than drinking the water as-is.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I mainly vape home mixed juices with relatively little flavor. And I use flavorings from reputable manufacturers who will have a lot to lose if they get caught sneaking diacetyl into their flavorings. That doesn't make me completely safe, but safe enough for my tastes.

One pre-mixed vanilla custard I have actually gives me breathing problems. It tastes terriffic, but the last half of the flask still sits in the cupboard. I haven't touched it for months, and I don't think I will. I prefer to be able to breathe. I have no idea what's in it, but whatever it is, it's not good for me.

Flavoring manufacturers have been caught lying numerous times. Obviously some are more ethical than others, but keep in mind that these flavorings were never intended for vaping and have been certified gras for ingestion not inhalation.

Just read a post from the owner of Charlie Noble that a flavor that Flavor West has been advertising as diacetyl free was tested by them and was anything but. He posted a picture of hundreds of filled bottles that will now go unsold.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014

You might want to check out Flavor Concentrates flavorings. Good Watermelon and Blueberry and NO artificial additives. Trying their coconut,Orange and Pineapple now.... Strawberry is good and so is Banana.
Their Watermelon is my main ADV.

Yeah I've been thinking that if unflavored is too boring or unenjoyable I might throw small amounts of likely-to-be-safe flavoring in my e-juice. It seems like TFA and WizardLabs are being pretty transparent and honest about AP/diacetyl in their flavorings.

Not to sidetrack. It just struck me that in a lot of places, vaping is a LOT safer than drinking the water as-is.

Not in the beautiful US of A... Actually that's not entirely true, I don't drink the tap in my state because it's gnarly. Still, the comparison is a bit moot because drinking water isn't a choice, while vaping is. Unavoidable risk vs avoidable risk.

Flavoring manufacturers have been caught lying numerous times. Obviously some are more ethical than others, but keep in mind that these flavorings were never intended for vaping and have been certified gras for ingestion not inhalation.

Just read a post from the owner of Charlie Noble that a flavor that Flavor West has been advertising as diacetyl free was tested by them and was anything but. He posted a picture of hundreds of filled bottles that will now go unsold.

I wasn't aware that the actual flavoring companies have been caught lying. More info on this?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Well since we do not really know how safe vaping is for the long term that is debatable. Heck vaping may turn out to be safer than drinking diet soda, time will tell.

Reactions: nyiddle

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Well since we do not really know how safe vaping is for the long term that is debatable. Heck vaping may turn out to be safer than drinking diet soda, time will tell.

In "our" parts of the world it is debatable; with our fancy water treatment facilities and whatnot. For a whole lot of others, safe water is sort of a... err... pipe dream?

Reactions: nyiddle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread