My first attempt at coil building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Hey everyone I have prebuilt coils in most of my attys but have been wanting to get into making my own. Ideal resistance would be .3-.5. A little higher or lower is ok if it will provide good results but I don't really want a build that needs a ton of power. I spent a good amount of time running combos through steam engine & was planning on kanthal 26 ga dual. The guy I talked to at my local b&m suggested 24 & 7 wraps. (I didn't think to ask diameter btw) He said that's what he uses so I bought a couple feet to try it out. So with that wire I can do 8-9 wraps at 2mm or 7 wraps at 3. It will be on a nobunaga 22mm 3 post. Please chime in with any other suggestions but my main question is would one way be superior to the other? will either the larger diameter or higher number of wraps cause any clearance issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOVA jon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2014
Northern virginia
Depending on the device, either would be fine. It's all going to be a matter of individual taste, yours may be different than mine, the way you vape may be different than mine. You see where I'm going, right. When you start to experiment with building your own coils, you will figure out what best works for you, the little tweets that get you what you want. Post a pic and I'm sure you will get some more advice. Make sure you get an ohm reader and double check everything and have fun!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey everyone I have prebuilt coils in most of my attys but have been wanting to get into making my own. Ideal resistance would be .3-.5. A little higher or lower is ok if it will provide good results but I don't really want a build that needs a ton of power. I spent a good amount of time running combos through steam engine & was planning on kanthal 26 ga dual. The guy I talked to at my local b&m suggested 24 & 7 wraps. (I didn't think to ask diameter btw) He said that's what he uses so I bought a couple feet to try it out. So with that wire I can do 8-9 wraps at 2mm or 7 wraps at 3. It will be on a nobunaga 22mm 3 post. Please chime in with any other suggestions but my main question is would one way be superior to the other? will either the larger diameter or higher number of wraps cause any clearance issues?

Hi Greg0252002.

Nothing wrong with doing 2mm Coils. But I find that slightly Larger Diameter Coils are easier to Wick. Like a 3mm ID.

They also can be a Little More Forgiving to getting a Dry Hit if you run them at Higher Wattages/Temperatures.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thin I'm going to try 1/8". So how exactly are wraps counted? Is it one wrap around facing the other direction? Around then back towards the other end? Never gave it much thought until I was actually going to try it.

Most people consider 1 Wrap to be 360 Degrees around a Rod. So Yeah... 1 Wrap would be a Around and then Facing away from where it started.

And if it pointed in the Same direction as where it started, that would be a Wrap and One Half.

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Ok so I finally got around to it. 24 ga 6 wraps 1/8 id. Came out to .31 initially & .24 after squeezing & strumming to get even heat up. Not the prettiest build in the world but it's working good for me. Getting a ton of clouds at 60w & my main goal was not to be running at 100 & pushing the lower limit on my mod so I'm happy. Thanks to all for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread