My first bad vaping experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use an e-cig that isn't white and doesn't have a glowing red LED on the end and you don't have visible body jewelry or tattoos and you're over fifty and accustomed to manipulating people, you can get away with it pretty much anywhere.

LOL! It took me long enough to get to that stage of life, and I paid dearly for it. I'mma gonna take advantage of it while I still can...though I don't deliberately manipulate people. They do that for me.

VadimGod

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
brooklyn, NY
First on your experience...the person saw smoke...he believed it was a cig, he freaked out....understandable...after the explanation...he left you along (Right?)...still no one likes to be wrong...especially if they have already expressed emotion...he may have thought you were rubbing it in his face after the fact...the fact that he said no more is a WIN.

Secondly...when i first started vaping i was stealth vaping on the subway in NYC. Was just preparing for a retort if someone or a cop approached me about it...i wanted to say i am not Smoking...i can prove it (im a pretty literal person) So in preperation i googled the definition of SMOKING as a come back to the NO SMOKING signs..

SMOKING (Verb)Verb:
1.Emit smoke or visible vapor:
2.Inhale and exhale the smoke of tobacco or a drug:

Technically, we are smoking...sorry to post this...but thats my conclusion.

VadimGod

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
brooklyn, NY
I guess that man was driving a full electric car 10 years ago, cause his car is giving kids athsma.

Not entirely on topic, but about 10 years ago I was a merchandiser for a tobacco company. That meant I assured the stock quality, issued buy downs and set up the POP advertising in a number of stores. I was going about my business one day and was approached by an irate man who then loudly proclaimed that I was a murderer. I was appalled! I was a mom trying to support 3 children..nothing more. It was scary and uncalled for.

chaos-7

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
St. AUg Fl.
I see absolutely no reason why people should not vape in public. It is not smoking, it is not tobacco, and in most parts of the USA, it is not illegal. In those areas where it has been deemed illegal or banned just because someone didn't like the way it looks, a class action is in order... yesterday.

Does anyone really, truly believe that how vapers behave - where they vape or do not vape - will have ANY bearing whatsoever on the FDA's eventual ruling on the matter? Polite smokers have been ostracized right alongside the rude ones.

This is not about manners. It's about fighting to retain civil liberties.

Oh, and lest we forget: it's also about powerful Big Tobacco lobbyists and the almighty dollar. This is not hyperbole: it is the absolute truth.

There is no need to be rude or in anyone's face while vaping, but there is also no need to cower in dark alleyways as though you're doing something illegal or wrong.

I could not agree more!

CharlieGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
Lehigh Acres, FL
Ditto Chaos-7 on Vaping Rulz reply! I have been smoking far longer than I care to remember or admit, but back in "those days" before the doom and gloom got started, we were allowed to smoke anywhere. (I think my friend Barney Rubble was the first of our crowd to quit smoking when he and Betty adopted Bam-bam). Lots more people smoked back then, and why not, at 50 cents a pack, they were accessible and certainly had NO image problems...hell, even your doctors smoked! We were oblivious still, and by the time word started seeping out on the perils of smoking, we were all hooked but good, and didn't much want to hear about it. But we did...ad infinitum! At first I don't think any of us got how bad it was, and since we had always smoked, we somehow felt entitled! What do you mean I can't smoke while grocery shopping, or any other public building? Little by little, they closed everything to us and in a short time we went from being "cool" to being outcasts and pariahs, first relegated to the dark rooms and forgotten spaces, and eventually, just banned completely! I think what ticked me off the most was the way society eventually looked down on us like we were lepers. They were often rude and obnoxious..something I never was! (Not as a smoker, not as a vaper.) I always would try to keep my smoke away from nonsmokers, even if it meant not smoking. I sat next to some old lady on a bus trip (I wasn't smoking for a while) who looked at me with her face all crinkled up and said "Eww, you stink like cigarettes!", and started waving her hand around! I wanted to come back at her with "yeah, well you smell like an old ..... house bi__h!" because of her nasty cheap perfume, but I was taught better. Seriously, what gives people the right? But I digress. The belabored point here is that I do understand people not wanting someone else's smoke billowing around them, and it is valid. My PV, however, is NOT the same, though I will also err on the side of caution when it comes to vaping around others too. I can't stand the whole "politically correct" movement because too many people think it gives them carte blanche to be as obnoxious as they want with no regards for the other person at all. I have rights too dammit! No matter how much or little anyone knows about vaping, I'm not in their face, they can stay out of mine! Ha, not haha cuz I'm not entirely joking. I so agree with VapingRulz, it is about having civil liberties... I'm not so sure we have retained many, and it seems it gets worse. And ditto about Big Tobacco, Big Pharma, and the FDA, and the almighty dollar! Why do you think the FDA has never BANNED smoking? (See the first 2 big ones!) Think of those BIG PAYOFFS folks. Let me hop off THIS bandwagon before it becomes another horror novel! I just want to close by saying, in the words of the immortal Bob Marley, mon, Get up stand up, stand up for your rights!!!

i use mine anywhere and everywhere...i like the questions, depending on the time of day, where i am, or alcohol in my system "or the person asking" is how i answer..it could be a e cig, provari, vaping device.. all the way to a smoking vibrator...im all about helping people quit..they wanna know about, come ask!!!...no closet vaper here

kjay

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2011
Norridgewock Maine
I'm new, but I agree with a few points here from different posters.

1. Vaporizer sounds much better than e-cig to a non smoker.
2. Explaining this in a small enclosed environment is almost a mute point lol.
2. We should use them in the public eye however, even if just one at a time, just not when there being "forced to breath" as they say, something they don't understand.

I agree with your second #2 lol...It might be scary for some people if all of a sudden there "appears" to be smoke in a building they are in. Vapors can not expect the general public to understand anything about vaping. But I do believe standing in front of a store or wherever would raise interest and they would feel safe as we are not vaping in their air space. Then we can spread the good word that we are saving our lives by using this device to quit smoking. I was a considerate smoker and I am now a considerate vapor (even if I know im not harming anyone).

ps. I also like the term vaporizor instead of e cigarette.

I have only read a few of the comments on this topic but I would like to chime in and hope I don't repeat someone or at least if I do I do it in a different way!
I think the fellow was taken aback. He probably didn't realize that you were vaping and thought you were smoking. When he realized it his reaction sounds more like he was embarrassed and felt confronted for being stupid. I am sure he DID feel stupid. So he became imperious and rude.
People automatically fear and dislike what they don't understand. AS will all things we have to educate ourselves and the public. During this process you will find people who just don't want to learn, but don't give up. For each person who is resistant there will eventually be a person who isn't.
Good luck with your new business!
Leolyn

zenman

Verified Member
Dec 7, 2011
Fullerton, Ca
I find it extremely important to separate ourselves from old analog habits. Smoking while walking through a crowd, sneaking one near an establishment etc. Just because we "technically can" doesn't make it good for the greater cause and movement. Presenting ourselves as respectful despite the fact that there is no secondhand harm displays that we are cut from a different cloth. Just as there are a certain sect of cannibis users that give the responsible users a bad name, I fear we could also suffer the same fate. Be thoughtful and respect others. We are all excited about our new found freedom and pleasure we receive from vaping. Let's let outsiders warm up to it gradually.

QusieQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
S

My roommate thinks he was having a bad day and once he couldn't put his finger in some one's nose he just got defensive. My roommate also can't find any reason what I was doing would be offensive unless he was just so stuck on the fact that it was a cigarette. .

I 2nd the roommates response. And I'll add that once the guy realized he was wrong he was to stubborn to admit he made himself look like an @$$ :p, and you called him on it!

sobero4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
It truly depends on what kind of person you are, I still am very timid about vaping in public, but my girlfriend will walk around walmart with her provari with a dct map tank and blow clouds all over the store. So, to some degree, I believe it has something to do with your level of confidence and how you carry yourself (as more and more people in the general population are familiar with e cigarettes and really don't have a clue on how they should or could respond or retaliate on you)

Im blu

May 27, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Some people can really be ridiculous. I was in Barns & Noble, minding my own, thinking about buying something. A woman who worked there approahced my and asked me, looking shocked, why I'm smoking in "her store"... I mean, really? I have a black Blu cig. It's a shiny metallic color, the tip lights up blue. I get into a bit of an argument with her, mall security at one point actually backing ME up (which is odd, they tend to hate me...) before the manager telling the employee to get back to work, and congratulating me on not backing down, and not using real cigarettes...

IMO, stand your ground. The law is on your side. There's almost never store policy against them, let alone said policy posted, and laws regarding it is just as rare. I find the benefits of turning smokers away from analogues is worth taking the time to argue with cashiers. Or maybe that's just the inner troll in me, I dunno.

Paul S

Jan 6, 2012
Excelsior, MN
OK, so I'm pretty new to this, having vaped for only a month...but I'm a smoking veteran--over 40 years on those things until I started vaping. I've only had a couple of analogs in the past month, and have no real desire for them.

It seems to me that much of it is a matter of common sense and discretion, similar to what I tried to exercise as a smoker, though not exactly the same. I tried not to offend people with my smoke, but didn't "hide" the fact that I was a smoker.

After explaining and demonstrating vaping to the two other people in my office, I vape at work, but not "in their faces." I have yet to have the experience of explaining it to a stranger, but I'm sure that it will come. When it does, I hope that I'm able to have a civil conversation with the person. I know, that's a 50-50 proposition, but I want to try to be the one who "takes the high road"; it can often cause a cranky person to calm down.

Heck, I'm 59 years old, and I'd LIKE to live a somewhat peaceful life. If that means writing off a few stupid people, I can live with that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread