• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

My foster babies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
On May 25th, we had a terrible thunderstorm and the tree next door was hit by lightning. Half of the tree fell onto the house next door and the other half flopped over into our yard. On the 26th, the owner of the next door house was out there with some tree removal men to take the tree apart, with chainsaws, and remove it from our yard - and their house. After 99% of the tree was cut up and removed to the curb, a nest was found attached to one of the logs that had been dragged to the curb. Mostly destroyed, the nest had two very dehydrated, very young squirrels still inside of it. Being men, they were a bit freaked out finding these tiny blind creatures and were not sure what to do with them. I knew what to do with them, though. I gave each of them a bit of subQ Lactated Ringers Solution as well as an oral rehydration liquid with an insulin syringe, (I pulled out the needle, first), and then put them in a shallow box where the tree HAD been and then sat on my porch and watched and waited, hoping that Mom Squirrel would show up and claim her children. After 6 hours, and full dark now here - I finally gave up and decided that for better, or worse, I was now foster Mama to two little baby squirrels aged between 10 and 14 days.

Fortunately, I have a LOT of experience in hand raising kittens and puppies and I figured it could not be a whole lot harder to hand raise a baby squirrel, (except at first they were so much smaller than any kitten or puppy I have ever hand raised). So far, things have gone well and the babies have doubled in size. They have some fur now and eat REALLY well. They are getting personalities, too, and are flat out adorable.

The little girl I have named Squeakers because she is more vocal than her brother, Sneakers. Right now, they are just getting their bottom teeth and I think their ears are opening now. In a couple more weeks, their eyes will open as well. Here are a few pictures of the babies - I try to take a shot of them at least a couple of times per week so that I will have a record of how much they have grown. As I take a new picture of them, I will post it in the thread for you to enjoy.

~Tiger

May 27

May 30

June 4

June 5 - Sneakers having a feed

June 5 - Hang In There Baby! - Squeakers

June 7 - Now they fill the bottom of a Cool Whip bowl

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
I have no idea why they do not open their eyes until they are 5 weeks old. It just is how it is.. but it means Mama squirrlel has to protect them for quite some time :)

5 weeks, that is interesting to know,, Puppies and kittens start to open them at 2 weeks.. Is there a reason why the squirrels are longer

Right now, they drink formula only. It is a mixture of Esbilac puppy formula, (3oz), full fat goat's milk, (1oz), heavy whipping cream, (1oz), and full fat vanilla yogurt, (1oz), with a probiotic capsule and 1T of honey added per 6oz formula mixture.

Right now, they are drinking aboout 2oz per day between the two of them - about 6mL - 8mL per feed; each. Starting around 6 weeks of age, I will also begin to offer them some solid foods. They will wean off of formula between 10-12 weeks of age.

Wow!

those are great pictures Tiger- so glad you were willing to rescue them. They look like they're doing well in your care. What are their nutritional needs at that age?

These are baby Fox Squirrels in case anyone was wondering :)

~Tiger

candimccann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
Lenexa, KS, US
www.youtube.com
Those babies are outta-sight cute!!

We had black squirrels in CT. We didn't always have them, we always had typical grey squirrels. The black ones migrated south from Mass (not sure where else originally). We had relatives visit from out of state and they were totally awed by the sight of a black squirrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread