Status
Not open for further replies.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
My issue with the coils is simple - i hate using cotton. It doesn't last and 2 days is good and then rewick. It's good in a real pinch - say you have no time to make something good and can borrow a qtip from some strange woman!

The xc-116 is well worth a bash - it's silica and durable, i managed nearly 2 weeks from it. SS mesh is hard to run in an RM2, even if you hybrid it with cotton yarn thru the middle.

Porous ceramic - waste of time - might as well use a dripper.

The micros are some nice looking coils though.

T

Not only do they look nice but they work great too. ;)

Don't have to use cotton to use a micro. Although rolled cotton wicks awesome, I build micro using Ekowool, it just requires more patience to thread it through. I don't see any reason why you can't do the same with Nextel.

Not sure if there is any difference in form between XC & XS but XC is ceramic & XS is the silica.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
makes me think of opera . . . .

:laugh:

Put something over that thing on it's shoulders & I very well may be tempted to push dem buttons. I'm thinking pretty hard, probably the same force required to damage a Reo's firing pin. I love pressing random buttons, better keep them away from me if you don't like yer buttons being pressed. ;)

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i mashed them - but they still worked, only melted the delrin pin a few times. The solution is to get a delrin button cover and with a battery in the reo to mash that cover down till it touches the body. It will slide down on the original firing button. That point is then the maximum your pin can travel and it takes all of the guessing out of it.

I've not melted one since.

keep the tip clean and noaloxed -even my heavy use = once a week, and you're golden.

T

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

But we all know by now I'm the odd man out usually ...

Yeah, I never thought I'd admit this (being the metal head that i am) but you have convinced me that I need a woodvill now. I can't wait for the next run :)

I also remember trading my first REO for an atty based on your praise. (And subsequently got 2 more of them attys cause you were right). that trade also got me started on grands :)

Your not that odd brother. You just don't settle for anything but the best. Your not ... around. Im right here with ya Tim, I take this sh it seriously too :)

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Back to the flavor difference, the first time I tried Voos brew from cc it had sort of a cat urine tinge to it. This was in a vivi nova and in ce4s. I put it away thinking maybe it was a seasoning issue. Wen I got an octopus, I re wicked with cotton, being deep into the micro coil thread at the time, and suddenly the taste was great! Well balanced, no funky cat pee. I just today filled a protank that now has a micro and cotton, and the taste is almost identical the the dripper. Another instance, with white rabbit from aiv, it was delicious in a dct dual coil, and still good but very different in a chobra with ss mesh and .08 kanthal ribbon at .8 ohms on a kts.

There are so many variables, it's like Disneyland at night without your parents!

Voo's Brew is one of my favorites but I never got the cat pee vibe from it. It does get better with age though.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
DZ - you are quite right of course - but my point was that cotton/bamboo/HRH's hair are bad wicks imo.

SXD - the woods are good, but i'd not take one to my work - it would never take the abuse my grand does. I have a vvg, but i prefer the downright simplicity of a grand and a battery. Never failed.

I often find myself wondering what everyone else is using - after all - not everyone can make coils like you and pdib and oddly enough - smokers think $150 is a lot of money until they spend $400 on cigarettes! The answer is Egos and vision spinners with tanks usually and i know people that have used them perfectly happily for a year or two.

But it's not a reo.

T

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Yeah, I never thought I'd admit this (being the metal head that i am) but you have convinced me that I need a woodvill now. I can't wait for the next run :)

Thanks, I knew I would convince ya :D ........ Ya it was a tough sell .... right ??

If you want to be sure it will take any situation don't fall for the super flashy multi-colored stabelized woods ..... stick with a beautiful natural hardwood IMHO ...... Talk to Rob he will hook you up for sure ...... I think you know my preference by now. Hint it rimes with my old nickname but I don't think I can type it here (not much of a hint)

I know right about now your thinking I know he loves Cocobolo ...... What mother F -in nick name could possible rime with that :D

It does because it all started on a drunkin (and other things) night of team trivia at the bar. The question was what wood are bowling pins made out of ..... I didn't know (I do now - Rock Maple) then but I knew it must be hard and I also knew I just spent big money and a fancy pair of nunchaku (nunchucks) made from Cocobolo ......... So I talked our team into answering Cocobolo

To this day I still have people calling me .................

FWIW - I had the exact same experience w/cotton until I started using less of it. With cotton I found that what I thought was the right amount (inside the coils) was actually way too much.

Im glad i found this thread. I started doing microcoil cotton on my kayfun. The taste is good. Just something not right to me. I like the vape, just something not right. I was about to try a silica build until i seen this. I do put a pretty thick slide of cotton thru the coil, now on my next tank i will be trying it using less cotton.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Thanks, I knew I would convince ya :D ........ Ya it was a tough sell .... right ??

If you want to be sure it will take any situation don't fall for the super flashy multi-colored stabelized woods ..... stick with a beautiful natural hardwood IMHO ...... Talk to Rob he will hook you up for sure ...... I think you know my preference by now. Hint it rimes with my old nickname but I don't think I can type it here (not much of a hint)

I know right about now your thinking I know he loves Cocobolo ...... What mother F -in nick name could possible rime with that :D

It does because it all started on a drunkin (and other things) night of team trivia at the bar. The question was what wood are bowling pins made out of ..... I didn't know (I do now - Rock Maple) then but I knew it must be hard and I also knew I just spent big money and a fancy pair of nunchaku (nunchucks) made from Cocobolo ......... So I talked our team into answering Cocobolo

To this day I still have people calling me .................

This is priceless!!!!!!!!

Vapeaddikt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Southern Cloud Cartel Arlington, TX
I still use cotton but not on micro's lower than .7Ω's. They burn up the cotton to easy even w/ pre squonking every hit.

I do micro's (well not technically since its on a bigger bit) on a 5/64th bit and feed the silica through it w/ a piece of 28gauge kanthal. It's snug but on a dual 26 gauge .4Ω wrap it doesn't hurt it. I don't have to worry about burning up the silica and it still tastes good.

Opinions will vary but I don't have time to deal w/ cotton on a daily driver when I'm pulling 14+ hrs at times, I did it w/ cotton carrying extra with me for a week and it just doesn't cut it. I keep cotton on a 1/16th .8Ω micro at home on the other Grand.

I just bring lots of batteries a few chargers put them in the office w/ extra juice and I'm good to go. Zero fuss.

hubseven

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
New York
I still use cotton but not on micro's lower than .7Ω's. They burn up the cotton to easy even w/ pre squonking every hit.

I do micro's (well not technically since its on a bigger bit) on a 5/64th bit and feed the silica through it w/ a piece of 28gauge kanthal. It's snug but on a dual 26 gauge .4Ω wrap it doesn't hurt it. I don't have to worry about burning up the silica and it still tastes good.

Opinions will vary but I don't have time to deal w/ cotton on a daily driver when I'm pulling 14+ hrs at times, I did it w/ cotton carrying extra with me for a week and it just doesn't cut it. I keep cotton on a 1/16th .8Ω micro at home on the other Grand.

I just bring lots of batteries a few chargers put them in the office w/ extra juice and I'm good to go. Zero fuss.

What size silica do you use and is it a single thread? I use same 5/64" bit. Thanks.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
What size silica do you use and is it a single thread? I use same 5/64" bit. Thanks.

I use a 1/16 bit and pull two silica threads (disentangled from 3mm wick material), doubled, through it with Kanthal wire. Thus, 2mm wick is the end result. Tip Xobeloot gave me. Do it slowly to not distort the coil, maybe hold the coil to stabilise. Pictures below.
qd5keQB.jpg

I1owUS6.jpg

6IcpsKe.jpg

wkmJfgA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread