lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
or "i'll get there eventually".
quite new to vaping. even newer to rta & rda but have learnt much along the way (i think at least).
a couple of days ago i stumbled across the rather splendid and gigantic Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2 thread. that's the very dab for me i thought. didn't want to hijack that thread so here's my fumbling documented.
try #1 - OBS Engine - 2 x twisted 0.5 ohm coils.
bought a few metres of cellucotton. got it nice and tight in the coils...could feel the resistance. i did think i'd thinned the tails enough but...
lot of liquid in the air passage and travelling up to my mouth. try #1 = fail.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
I use OBS Nano's and I read somewhere here on the forum that it's possible to get juice in the airway if you don't fill correctly? When I fill mine, I angle the tank to about 35 degrees and then stick the dropper into the extreme corner of the fill hole. (not straight in)

Your wicking looks pretty decent to me. (I use CottonBacon)

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I use OBS Nano's and I read somewhere here on the forum that it's possible to get juice in the airway if you don't fill correctly? When I fill mine, I angle the tank to about 35 degrees and then stick the dropper into the extreme corner of the fill hole. (not straight in)

Your wicking looks pretty decent to me. (I use CottonBacon)
hey and thanks for taking the time to reply.
got an engine and an engine nano. only had juice in the airway once when i had the tank at a funny angle when trying to get the last bit of liquid out of a unicorn bottle.
i normally use cotton bacon but i'm determined to get the rayon to work (certain stubborn streak).

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Hi, @lupinehorror. Great job on the coils. :thumb: From your picture it appears to me that you don't have enough rayon in the coils. Press down on the rayon near the edge of the coil. If you can see into the coil then you don't have enough rayon in there. The rayon should be snug in the coil all the way to the edge. Start trimming a little past the edge of the coil and at a downward angle, although it looks like you trimmed those tails pretty good.

Coming from cotton to rayon is different until you get the hang of it. Cotton goes in looser because it soaks up the juice and swells up to fill the coil. Rayon goes in tight because it sucks up the juice which pushes out the air between the strands causing the rayon to shrink a little. So coming from cotton to rayon you should put more in the coil than you think you can and less in the tails than you think you should. This allows better flow through the tails and less gunking of the coil.

Keep working at it and I know you'll get it, and when you do, you'll never go back to cotton. :thumbs:

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
@lupinehorror You aren't using enough rayon. Rayon, unlike cotton, shrinks when wet. Stuff as much as you can in the coil. When you cannot pull the rayon back and forth thru coil you might have enough.
Hi, @lupinehorror. Great job on the coils. :thumb: From your picture it appears to me that you don't have enough rayon in the coils. Press down on the rayon near the edge of the coil. If you can see into the coil then you don't have enough rayon in there. The rayon should be snug in the coil all the way to the edge. Start trimming a little past the edge of the coil and at a downward angle, although it looks like you trimmed those tails pretty good.

Coming from cotton to rayon is different until you get the hang of it. Cotton goes in looser because it soaks up the juice and swells up to fill the coil. Rayon goes in tight because it sucks up the juice which pushes out the air between the strands causing the rayon to shrink a little. So coming from cotton to rayon you should put more in the coil than you think you can and less in the tails than you think you should. This allows better flow through the tails and less gunking of the coil.

Keep working at it and I know you'll get it, and when you do, you'll never go back to cotton. :thumbs:
thanks a bunch to you both for taking the time to type and help.
i'll experiment over the weekend hopefully and will report back. be great if try #2 was a success (or even try #3 or try #4...)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I prefer rayon to cotton, I find it easier to wick. This is because I'm always overstuffing my coil, I actually used LESS rayon than I thought I'd need and it's wicking perfectly. I plan to use rayon from now on, for me at least, it is so much easier, and I love the idea of being able to wick less often, because wicking drives me ape. I'm not sure if it's just the last stage in the process, so I feel like it should be easy, but it actually takes a fair amount of skill and experience.

Rayon doesn't taste delicious (to me) right out of the gate, but after about 1/3 of a tank, it tastes fine, and I think it wicks better than cotton (although, I can't say cotton and I really ever meshed enough to figure out how things were going to taste after 1/3 of a tank, I couldn't vape quick enough whilst leaking... :)

Good luck, it's worth playing around. I really love rayon compared to cotton as it plays to my wicking (and other things in life) tendency to Overstuff. :)

Anna

ETA: I also got some of that mesh wick that supposedly can be dry burned and etc., but I haven't played with that yet.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
ETA: I also got some of that mesh wick that supposedly can be dry burned and etc., but I haven't played with that yet.
Curious about mesh myself. Do please share. Was glad to read you are off the couch and feeling perkier.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
i dislike brightness.
vapes beautifully! great flavour. only RDA though...further experiments are required

Rayon is all I use for wicking. RDA/RTA/RDTA it doesn't matter. I bought a box of 500ft for $15. Once you figure out the learning curve you'll find it's much easier to work with than cotton.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Rayon is all I use for wicking. RDA/RTA/RDTA it doesn't matter. I bought a box of 500ft for $15. Once you figure out the learning curve you'll find it's much easier to work with than cotton.
that's a bargain and a half. it's quite expensive here and haven't had any luck sourcing it from beauty suppliers etc. am a convert though...more will be wicked this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread