My Mother Thinks that E-Cigs "Glorify" Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

beindeb

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2012
TX
All of our feelings, opinions, and desires are based on our individual Life experiences. Clearly, there's alot of fear/pain with hers. Try to understand she cannot hear when it comes to this subject. As she is someone you Love, it's best to respect her deep-rooted opinion by neither arguing with her, nor doing it in front of her...let it be. Unless of course, you're into the whole rebellion/drama thing! Lol.

Last edited:

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
With all due respect.... I think your mother's opinion is that of an ignorant twit.

My advice would be, don't bring it up and just don't do it around her. She may(slim chance but possible) warm up when you tell her how much better you feel overall, health wise but that could be quite a while. Doesn't sound like she would change her mind though in all honesty.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Take it from me, parents just don't understand!

In all seriousness, just let it be. Your mom is going to be, who she is going to be. If it is not this, it will probably be something else. Moms are never really going to be completely satisfied and their intentions are generallly good; but, if you vape in front of her, you will be asking for a less than pleasuarble vaping experience. Then again, maybe she will get used to it and let you be...doubt it. Lord have mercry! Just thinking about how my mother was with me regarding smoking makes me almost want to smoke. :yawn::facepalm:

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
With all due respect.... I think your mother's opinion is that of an ignorant twit.

With all due respect? :confused: Granted, you did say "opinion", but that is hard to see "your mother" and "ignorant twit" in the same sentence. I guess we are entitled to our own opinions, right or wrong.

p.s. frosting, your avatar is sexy!

Last edited:

slojas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2012
Saskatoon
"Mommy doesn't like me vaping"
"Vaping makes me look cool"

-No mention of age.
-No mention of any prior smoking addiction.

This appears to be an underage youth who has started vaping to look cool.
-This is one of the exact reasons why some groups are lobbying to ban e-cigs.
-Picking up a nicotine addiction to look cool is insanity.
-Vaping is "harm-reduction" not "harm-less", if you want perfectly safe move to the country side and be one with nature.

Seriously, WTH?.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
Did you smoke real cigarettes on a routine basis, before you started vaping?

No I did not. I had friends and family members (as I mentioned) that smoked both in front of me and away from me. I didn't really mind either way. I've never really been bothered by smoke in restaurants and bars.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
Unless you are younger than 18 then your Mother should mind her own business. Some people can't be flipped. Try selling a conservative on a liberal issue or vice versa for example.

Bottom line. Her opinion is her problem not yours. Unless she's paying for your supplies! ;)

I pay for all of my "supplies" in cash. I'm actually in college right now, and she requires that I show her my debit card statement.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
"Mommy doesn't like me vaping"
"Vaping makes me look cool"

-No mention of age.
-No mention of any prior smoking addiction.

This appears to be an underage youth who has started vaping to look cool.
-This is one of the exact reasons why some groups are lobbying to ban e-cigs.
-Picking up a nicotine addiction to look cool is insanity.
-Vaping is "harm-reduction" not "harm-less", if you want perfectly safe move to the country side and be one with nature.

Seriously, WTH?.

I'm 19, but thanks for trying. I haven't vaped in a couple weeks, and my body hasn't suffered. If I was addicted, I would be getting headaches by now and I'd be experiencing brutal withdrawals. I use it in a social setting, typically when I'm at a restaurant or lounge. And I never said that I wanted to be perfectly safe. I favor freedom over security if you haven't noticed.

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
Interesting situation.

As both a mom and someone with a difficult (controlling) mom, I can see a lot of different layers here. I lost both my maternal grandparents to complications of emphysema, and yet, both she and I continued to smoke, all my siblings smoke, and my oldest son (23), much to my chagrin, still smokes. What changed everything for me was discovering that my 14 y/o was stealing and smoking my cigs. Now my mom and I are both vaping, and have never felt better- we expound on the benefits to everyone we know, we're a cult unto ourselves, and we've urged every smoker in the family to at least try it, but my 14 y/o is not allowed to vape.

As a mom, I don't want him to end up like my grandparents, or to have to watch me or his own grandparents, die painfully and horribly. But as diffinitively awful as cancer or emphysema would be, those are not the only negatives involved here. Nicotine is still addictive, just as caffeine is, and habitual use of it will lead to a physical addiction that will a) control your life and b)waste a considerable ammount of time and money that probably could be spent on better things. If I discovered my 14 y/o vaping, as much as I love it myself, I would not permit it, no more than I'd allow him to use energy drinks or caffeine pills regularly. Is this hypocritical? Sure it is, but so? He's my kid, I have the right to want a better life for him than anyone else on the planet including myself, and a life free of addictions is a better life. If that makes me a hypocrite, fine, I'll take it.

So it's weird. I want my 23 y/o to start vaping, because he is currently addicted to smoking, but I won't let my 14 y/o vape, because he isn't addicted to nicotine yet and I don't want him picking up a new habit that could negatively effect him just so he can look "cool", even if it is less harmful than smoking overall.

Since you've never smoked, if I were your mom, I think I'd be nagging you to quit vaping before it becomes a habit, because I know from experience that habits can become incredibly hard to break, and even if it seems cool to you now, you may feel very differently about it later when it's too late to just walk away. Unfortunately, I also know that it is usually quite difficult to learn from someone else's life experience, and you may just have to figure it out for yourself, like most people.

At any rate, you're 19, and she can't stop you. What you may want to remember, though, is that she isn't trying to make you uncool- she's trying to keep you healthy, which is, after all, every mom's mission in life. It's her job. Even if you think she's wrong or too controlling, at least try to recognize that it comes from a place of love, and a sense of duty to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread