My NET experiment. (Very extended cold maceration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDC123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2014
The Blue Grass State, USA
At the beginning of June last year I ordered some pipe and cigar from of all places Pipes and Cigars. From ebay I ordered three different kinds of whole vanilla bean. When they came in I began a cold maceration in a mix of 75/25 VG/PG. Over the last week I have been slowly filtering the tobacco and vanilla that has been macerating for nearly a year now through an Aeropress and storing it in Ball 12 Oz Jelly Jars. I filtered through three stages. First being an ultra fine SS screen, second was the paper filter that comes with an Aeropress and finally some Ahlstrom 2 micron filters.

The resulting liquid is dark in color, thinner in viscosity than I expected and quite strong in flavor and aroma. Yes, I tasted it the old fashioned way. It seems quite promising.

I plan to update this thread with my impression as I begin mixing and vaping them. I'm also certainly open to advice regarding how to proceed.

I also selected three varieties of the pipe tobacco and did a hot maceration in the crock pot last year when my P&C order came in. I chose the three I did for no reason other than volume available to me was higher for those three. When I did the hot maceration last year I only had coffee filters.Those three hot macerations have been sitting sealed in Ball 12oz jelly jars ever since. I do plan to run them through the Aeropress and see what sitting for a year did to them. I opened them for the first time tonight and if the aroma is any indicator, that year sucked what flavor was in that liquid out for the most part. It does not seem that aging for a year was beneficial. Who knows though, maybe they will be stellar. They were quite harsh last year.

For some reason I seem determined to make peace with NET eliquid though I've tried a fair bit of it and I often do not like it. I detest that grassy/hay flavor. I also find that most commercial NETS are mixed at a flavor intensity that is too much for me.

Pipe tobacco that I macerated:

Lane Buttered rum
Lane 1-Q *
Lane Dark Burley & Black *
Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake *

Selections with an * were those also used in the hot maceration last year.

Cigar tobacco that I macerated:

Tatiana Mocha Eden
Tatiana Fusion Frenzy
Tatiana Mocha Caramel
Tatiana Classic Honey

Vanilla bean that I macerated:

Bourbon Planifolia from Madagascar
Bourbon Planifolia from Indonesia
Tahiti Vanilla from New Guinea

What I have learned so far...

The Aeropress is much more efficient and tidy versus coffee filters.

Cigar macerations filter the easiest. Vanilla beans were the most difficult.

Cigar macerations are a bit lighter in color and showed the most promise during my "taste tests".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread