My New Buzz Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
Amherst, Ohio
One of the very first variable voltage mods I ever bought was the Buzz Pro. However, it has been sitting unused for quite some time. The other day I decided to put my kayfun Lite on it, and it worked quite well. Although the Buzz may be limited to 3 amps of current flow and 15 watts, it still can provide more than enough power to fire up a kayfun or Aspire nautilus in the 1 to 2.5 ohm range. It can't support super sub ohm levels, but I rarely go below .8 ohms anyway.

Next, I decided to try and make a ring for the top of the Buzz to cover that gap. It wasn't really necessary, but I wanted to see what I could come up with. Well, it actually turned out pretty well. So I decided to pick up a new rootbeer Buzz and I just got it today. I'm a happy camper folks. It works great, and it looks pretty nice too.

Here are a few pics. The Buzz Pro still kicks .....

IMG_20140423_140417.jpg IMG_20140423_140408.jpg IMG_20140423_140502.jpg

Jim66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
Amherst, Ohio
Looks great Jim, I still have mine, bought March of 2012, and going strong. Looks, and works as good as the day I bought it. I don't know why someone never made a ring for these. What I have is something someone made out of clay or something that helps the looks a little.

View attachment 328877

That looks really nice. I've been using my Buzz almost exclusively since I brought it out of mothballs. It's a great mod.

Jim66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
Amherst, Ohio
That Root Beer really is nice with the ring and the topper you have on there. Which one is that by the way? Looks almost like a hybrid mod doesn't it.

That's a Kayfun Lite Plus. The brass ring used to be the 510 top cap from a Sigelei #13. Here is a pic of one.

IMG_20140423_180356.jpg IMG_20140423_180113.jpg

I cut the threads off with a hacksaw and then sanded the surface until smooth by placing the ring on sandpaper on a bench top. I made figure 8's until all hacksaw marks were removed. Then I used a dremel on the inside of the opposite end to taper it enough to fit over the Buzz Pro's angled top cap.

The hard part was reducing the outside diameter of the Sigelei cap from 23.5 mm down to 22 mm. There wasn't enough material to chuck it in a lathe, so I had to come up with a way to hold it in a hand drill. I basically used a long bolt with washers and a nut. The bolt head and washer clamped onto one side, and the nut and other washer clamped onto the other side. The washers had to be a smaller diameter than the ring to expose the ring for machining. The long end of the bolt was held in the drill chuck. I then rotated the piece with the drill and I held it against a grinding stone for the rough cut, and then against sandpaper for the fine cuts.

It's not perfect, but it turned out pretty nice.

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
One of the very first variable voltage mods I ever bought was the Buzz Pro. However, it has been sitting unused for quite some time. The other day I decided to put my Kayfun Lite on it, and it worked quite well. Although the Buzz may be limited to 3 amps of current flow and 15 watts, it still can provide more than enough power to fire up a Kayfun or Aspire Nautilus in the 1 to 2.5 ohm range. It can't support super sub ohm levels, but I rarely go below .8 ohms anyway.

Next, I decided to try and make a ring for the top of the Buzz to cover that gap. It wasn't really necessary, but I wanted to see what I could come up with. Well, it actually turned out pretty well. So I decided to pick up a new rootbeer Buzz and I just got it today. I'm a happy camper folks. It works great, and it looks pretty nice too.

Here are a few pics. The Buzz Pro still kicks .....

View attachment 328867 View attachment 328868 View attachment 328869
Saweeet! I have bought other variables but have given every one of them away to new vapers because there's nothing like a Buzz Pro. I prefer the older Buzz myself but lost mine loaning it out. Other variables take 3.7 volts and boost it to wherever you set it to but the Buzz takes what ends up being around 8.4 volts and decreases it. It has a solider hit in my opinion. I still have my Beta Buzz that took a screwdriver that I use a lot and it still works like day one. So does my Infinity and Infinity Pro. Mike builds great designs for sure.

Jim66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
Amherst, Ohio
Saweeet! I have bought other variables but have given every one of them away to new vapers because there's nothing like a Buzz Pro. I prefer the older Buzz myself but lost mine loaning it out. Other variables take 3.7 volts and boost it to wherever you set it to but the Buzz takes what ends up being around 8.4 volts and decreases it. It has a solider hit in my opinion. I still have my Beta Buzz that took a screwdriver that I use a lot and it still works like day one. So does my Infinity and Infinity Pro. Mike builds great designs for sure.

I agree with you completely. I'll bet some people don't realize that the buck technology in the Buzz Pro is almost identical to the new Duke box mod with the OKR-T10 chip. Of course the Duke will go to 10 amps and up to 50 watts, but even Goss (the maker of the Duke) will tell you he only uses about half of the available power. Since I'm not a cloud chaser, I find that even when I use an RDA at .7 ohms, the max current I ever need is 6 amps. That's for me of course. Some people need more and that's fine.

However, if I want to use an RDA, I usually set it up for .9 to 1.1 ohms. That uses 3.8 to 4.6 amps on a freshly charged battery. If I'm vaping on a Kayfun or Nautilus, I only use a max of 3 to 4 amps. So the Buzz Pro is literally perfect for me.

I was thinking of building a buck circuit box mod, and I considered the OKR-T10 chip, but it would just be a waste for me. I'll probably use the OKR-T6 rated at 6 amps. If I ever do build it, I will post some pictures of it.

I have to tell you that recently I have had an epiphany about my vaping.

Like many other people, I started on cig-a-like RN4081's and KR808's. Then I went to ego batteries, and then I got my Buzz. From there I got a Provari and then a few Chinese vv mods with voltage displays. Next I made the move to variable wattage devices including a DNA 20 device. I did the mechanical mod thing too. Don't get me wrong, I love a good mechanical mod, and I now have the Silver Bullet-m which is my absolute favorite mechanical. I'll screw on the Paradigm or Quasar dripper at about 1 ohm, and it works great. But that is my "in front of the TV" mod. Most of the time I am using a regulated device.

So what I realized very recently is even with a variable wattage mod, I am constantly adjusting the setting to compensate for how well a topper wicks. Even with a topper that wicks very well, I still find myself making wattage adjustments all the time to get the best vape. So FOR ME, I realized that even with variable wattage, I simply cannot "set it and forget it". Taking that into consideration, there is no real benefit for me to use a vw device over a vv device. Again, that's just for me. Some may not agree.

And to take this one step further, I also realized that the voltage display was really not all that important. The taste (and lack of burning) is what really matters. So once I realized all this, I remembered the Buzz Pro that has been sitting on a shelf in the pantry for almost 2 years. I would turn the light on to grab a loaf of bread and there, in the corner, on the top shelf was the Buzz just waiting for me to come to my senses. I also remember what Grimmgreen and Phil said in their reviews of the Buzz. They preferred to set to taste instead of looking at a screen.

It was for these reasons that I grabbed the Buzz and slapped on the Kayfun. I think I might have just found vaping nirvana. :)
That's also why I want to build a buck circuit box mod as I mentioned above with a potentiometer knob.

Ok, I'm done rambling...

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I agree with you completely. I'll bet some people don't realize that the buck technology in the Buzz Pro is almost identical to the new Duke box mod with the OKR-T10 chip. Of course the Duke will go to 10 amps and up to 50 watts, but even Goss (the maker of the Duke) will tell you he only uses about half of the available power. Since I'm not a cloud chaser, I find that even when I use an RDA at .7 ohms, the max current I ever need is 6 amps. That's for me of course. Some people need more and that's fine.

However, if I want to use an RDA, I usually set it up for .9 to 1.1 ohms. That uses 3.8 to 4.6 amps on a freshly charged battery. If I'm vaping on a Kayfun or Nautilus, I only use a max of 3 to 4 amps. So the Buzz Pro is literally perfect for me.

I was thinking of building a buck circuit box mod, and I considered the OKR-T10 chip, but it would just be a waste for me. I'll probably use the OKR-T6 rated at 6 amps. If I ever do build it, I will post some pictures of it.

I have to tell you that recently I have had an epiphany about my vaping.

Like many other people, I started on cig-a-like RN4081's and KR808's. Then I went to ego batteries, and then I got my Buzz. From there I got a Provari and then a few Chinese vv mods with voltage displays. Next I made the move to variable wattage devices including a DNA 20 device. I did the mechanical mod thing too. Don't get me wrong, I love a good mechanical mod, and I now have the Silver Bullet-m which is my absolute favorite mechanical. I'll screw on the Paradigm or Quasar dripper at about 1 ohm, and it works great. But that is my "in front of the TV" mod. Most of the time I am using a regulated device.

So what I realized very recently is even with a variable wattage mod, I am constantly adjusting the setting to compensate for how well a topper wicks. Even with a topper that wicks very well, I still find myself making wattage adjustments all the time to get the best vape. So FOR ME, I realized that even with variable wattage, I simply cannot "set it and forget it". Taking that into consideration, there is no real benefit for me to use a vw device over a vv device. Again, that's just for me. Some may not agree.

And to take this one step further, I also realized that the voltage display was really not all that important. The taste (and lack of burning) is what really matters. So once I realized all this, I remembered the Buzz Pro that has been sitting on a shelf in the pantry for almost 2 years. I would turn the light on to grab a loaf of bread and there, in the corner, on the top shelf was the Buzz just waiting for me to come to my senses. I also remember what Grimmgreen and Phil said in their reviews of the Buzz. They preferred to set to taste instead of looking at a screen.

It was for these reasons that I grabbed the Buzz and slapped on the Kayfun. I think I might have just found vaping nirvana. :)
That's also why I want to build a buck circuit box mod as I mentioned above with a potentiometer knob.

Ok, I'm done rambling...

I got a couple I built that go quite high. One passthrough I built will go past 12 V but I've never vaped it that high. Lately it spends more time charging phone, tablets, and a couple of ecigs than it does vaping.
I agree with you that even though I have the wattage and voltage adjustments I never look at them unless I'm charging something because it is about the taste and amt. of vapor I'm getting. The one that needs the screwdriver just stays where it's at.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread