My New Riva 1100 and the Melting Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylez

Jan 18, 2010
Canada
I have some serious concerns with the quality control and assurance of these Riva batteries. I've been vaping for about 14 months, started with 510s and still have all my batteries in working condition. Enter the Riva! These are a fantastic PV but unfortunately I feel the need to heavily scrutinize the batteries provided with them.

This first started with a friend who got a Riva, it lasted about a week. He charged his battery in the evening as usual, and woke up to a very hot charger and a very dead battery. I gave him a new Riva charger and 2 days later another dead battery. With this bad experience he happily went back to his 510 and PCC and to this day I can't convince him to get back on the Riva-train.

For myself, within a 2 week span, I had 3 Riva batteries just go haywire, start blinking away, unresponsive to button pressing or charging. I even have one that will light up when pressed but put an atty on it and nothing, just blinking. I had informed Selena about these batteries dieing as I was waiting for an order to be shipped and was left without batteries, thankfully my Joye Stick bailed me out. My batteries dieing were not addressed by Selena unfortunately.

Fast forward to Friday, December 17th. My package arrives, 5 standard Riva kits (Xmas gifts), my new found friend Leo, and the new almighty Riva 1100, which I bought as the "Riva 1300". Upon my first charging of this new Riva 1100 battery I later found the charger extremely hot and the plastic had started to melt. Being quite concerned I unplugged the charger and removed the battery, pushed the button and nothing. Another dead battery, I can't afford to keep "saving" money by buying these Rivas. This has gotten absolutely ridiculous, where is the quality control? I just read another thread about a melted charger and cooked battery. Is someones house going to have to burn down?! I sincerely hope not!

Edit: I now have 3 pieces from my Riva 1100 kit that are faulty. The charger, battery, and now 1 atomizer. A cart wouldn't fit in it, when I tried to remove it the outer shell just spun and slipped off.

Last edited:

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
I have Riva Batteries and chargers from the first release,
and also from the second release.

I dont know what you guys do with yours,
but i follow the instructions in the manual exactly with mine,
and quite honestly -
I have had no problems at all.

I have had 1 failure battery - DOA out of 15.

but other than that - no probs at all.

all I can say is -

contact CS with your issues.

and read the manual for correct usage .

Stylez

Jan 18, 2010
Canada
It's been used correctly, the battery was on charge for its initial 8 hr conditioning charge and was charging for a little under 8 hrs. When I touched the charger it was HOT, you can clearly see where the plastic had melted as it's deformed now. Selena has requested pictures of the batteries, charger and atomizer so once I get those to her we'll see what happens.

EMRocks

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
It's some of the chargers. We spent a long time looking into these types of issues, and we found the definitive cause to be with some of the chargers. There are two charger manufacturers we were using to keep up with demand - one of them was making good chargers, one of them wasn't. The blinking battery, melting buttons, and melting charger issues are all directly related to this, and David is now aware of this issue and looking into switching charger manufacturers.

Stylez

Jan 18, 2010
Canada
I just found out a friend who got a standard Riva kit in my last order had the battery explode on him. Just waiting to hear if he is okay and what exactly happened. All I know so far is battery acid went everywhere when it exploded and he went to the hospital, I hope it didn't get in his eyes. This is outrageous Eastmall, inferior product so you can meet demand?

JackSam

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
NY USA
I bought a riva 900 kit as a kit for someone who's been vaping pen style for a while and had the same thing happen, charger got hot enough to deform on the outside killed the battery also.
Possibly damaged the second one since it now only lasts 1 day instead of 2. Warranty replacement on the way for 1 batt and charger but not overly confident now in how that will go now...

Battery exploding is even worse, aren't they circuit protected for this very reason?

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
I just found out a friend who got a standard Riva kit in my last order had the battery explode on him. Just waiting to hear if he is okay and what exactly happened. All I know so far is battery acid went everywhere when it exploded and he went to the hospital, I hope it didn't get in his eyes. This is outrageous Eastmall, inferior product so you can meet demand?

Interesting , as far as i know , these are lithium ion batteries correct me if I'm wrong , and as far as i know , lithium ion batteries do not contain acid . It uses an organic liquid electrolyte as the carrier , that solidifies nearly as soon as any current flow is allowed.

Of course i could be all wrong. Hope everything is ok.

BartS

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
/\/¯¯¯¯\/\/ South Africa
Maybe I am just very lucky. I have 7 Riva chargers, eleven normal 900 batteries and two 1100 batteries. Since I started using the Riva about six months ago, I lost one battery (900) due to a bad atty. All the rest are still going strong, being charged with any of the chargers, and no melting or problems.

You will have difficulty to find me without my Riva; I have it with me always.:wub: In my work bag, I have an Indulgence as a backup. This is for when I accidentally only grab one Riva battery on my way to work, :matrix: and I have to charge it at some point. Then I switch to the backup Indulgence.

And yes, I do have a job; posing nude is not that lucrative. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
Yes ---- , I think most of us are lucky,
most of us have RiVa batteries and chargers which function correctly,
it is only the odd one here and there that malfunction,

these are the odd ones,

the majority of the products are just fine.

But yes, in that we have several batteries and chargers and they are all working just fine,
then yes, I guess we could say we are lucky in that way ------

it is unfortunate that some of the products were not just so perfect,
it is unfortunate that one of the charger manufacturers that was contracted by EM to produce for us,
did not manage to do such a great job with producing that product-
it is unfortunate that EM got a batch of substandard chargers and we did not know till it was too late,

but, this problem is sorted now, and we trust that all products are good quality again now,--
so all RiVa should be of good standard again now.
so we can all enjoy the best ecig again.

Snowball

Dec 1, 2010
Portugal
Still trying out my RiVa1100, got it only today (after a *looong* 2 month wait).. I'm still draining it from its "factory" charge (err, I *am* supposed to do this before doing that long first charge conditioning, right? [8 hours, then use for 20 mins, then charge again for another hour]), so can't comment on if the charger works well or not.

What I can say is, and it put quite a damper on my day, was that one of the batteries was DOA :(( From what I've read around here, it's basically behaving as if it shorted out -- thing is, no shorting happened, it simply wasn't firing out of the box. Too bad too, 'cause I'm loving the other Riva battery.

Sent Selina an email letting her know -- first the 2 months it took for the order to arrive (more than 5 weeks in transit, really weird), now one of the batts doesn't work.. I can *not* catch a break. :) Anyway, waiting for them to get back from their deserved vacations to see what Selina can do about it... Really hope I can get a replacement, hate having to depend on just this one RiVa battery. Ah, well..

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
Snoball,

I am so sorry that you have this trouble,

orders taking weeks in the transit time is really aweful,
I do remember many months ago an order going to Cananda got stuck in transit,
took 3 weeks to get from China to Canada,
then Canada customs held it in their offices for 7 weeks, wow -- how do you figure that?
then they released it as if nothing happened, amazing.

also, the DOA battery is a sad event after such along anticipation for you.

I am sure Selina will make it right for you.

I am happy that you are enjoying the other battery in the mean time.

Chacharm

Jan 2, 2012
Austin, TX
The man I buy all of my gear from told me never to plug the charger in until I had screwed the Riva T 1100 battery into it because it might damage the battery. I forgot that advice and I had my batteries dying after about 2 weeks. After a reminder, I have been very careful to follow his direction and my batteries are fine and they charge up perfectly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread