My parents don't like me vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick1500

Mar 22, 2015
So I'm a 19 year old guy, started smoking when I was 14 and finally quit cigarettes 3 months ago. My parents like that I quit smoking but they think vaping some sort of gateway drug that will make me want to, and I quote, "smoke {OTHER STUFF}". What I don't understand is that both of my parents both smoke a pack a day. I even tried to convince them to switch to vaping but they said they don't want to smoke that "{OTHER STUFF} device". Even when I vape in my room, they come in and get ...... off because they're tired of smelling my "fruity {MODERATED}". How can I convince them to get a better understanding of vaping and potentially start them on it too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scootaloo

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Smokers who are not open to vaping will be the hardest to convert. Unfortunately, some parents get stuck on the wrong side of the facts in fear of loosing their legitimacy.

As far as {OTHER STUFF} go, have they seen how an ego battery looks? Perhaps get a simple set up with some unflavored nic to have on hand just in case. Let them catch you using it and notice there's no fruity smell.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Scootaloo

xDarkRelic

Feb 2, 2015
    Texas
    Ignorance is bliss my friend. They think the less the know about vaping the better they feel about smoking.

Show them statistics. Let them know you can count the amount of ingredients in your juice on 1 hand, can they say the same about smoking? Without an attitude of course.

But most of all, try to get them to try it. It may help them quit. Show them the money you're saving. Show them DIY videos of people making juice, to show the ingredients.

Hope it helps!

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Pearland, TX
    that's a tough one..you live in their house?

you can gently try to educate them, let them know that the son they love is doing a healthy thing and using that "device" to quit smoking, successfully, and hope their love for you is stronger than their nicotine and cigarette addiction.

we've had mixed reactions to smoker friends/family some react very aggressively and the only thing YOU can control is your own behavior.

it might have to be a "agree to disagree" type thing we never speak of (that's how my family was about my smokking, my dad quit when I was in grade school..and all the other smokers were dead since the early 80s..yeah i know right? you'd think that'd been enough but they're all really glad myself, Ed and my daughter and her guy quit) :)

you can lead a horse to water..yanno?

sedition

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 20, 2014
    New Zealand

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 4, 2013
    Georgia , USA
    I have never heard of a case where someone started vaping and it caused them to move on to cigarettes. Just the opposite - people move away from cigarettes by vaping.

Thinking that vaping will lead to smoking other stuff {self-moderated} is akin to thinking drinking water will lead to drinking vodka. :blink:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    Honestly? If it were me, I wouldn't do anything. Nothing I've ever done proactively has changed anything. It's up to the person. They'll determine the time is ready. Hounding or constantly bringing up a subject, especially something involving quitting smoking, can have adverse effects (in other words, turn them off to the subject even more). I never wanted anyone to tell me what to do. I had to touch the stove to realize, holy blank, Mom was right, that blank is hot and heat hurts.

Let them observe your behavior. Sometimes it piques curiosity. I waited to buy my first e-cig kit to make sure my friend's worked for him first. When I saw him (a 20 year 2 pack a day grizzled smoker) successfully quit, I knew I could, too. Just live and let live. As far as being 19 and living with your parents -- honestly, if you're under your parents' roof, it's their rules, no matter how messed up they may be. If you enjoy a solid roof over your head and (possibly) food in the fridge, and it's your parents home, well, son, you must defer to them. Even if they still smoke.

In the future, when it's YOUR home, and YOUR house, you get to set the rules. Such is how life operates.

bleedingkyo

Feb 14, 2015
    Hanover, PA
    Tough one. My parents mind it less than smoking because of the smell but they don't think its "better" especially if it still has nicotine. I just avoid doing it infront of them a lot especially since my Dad is a cold turkey ex smoker.

I stay at their house often though, luckily they don't comment if I just do it in my room. Try cracking a window or something. I've also met people who smoke and who think "Vaping is just as bad/worse" and its like religion, you will never win the conversation until they are willing to listen. As far as living at their house, I'd say your're good as long as all they are doing is complaining and not saying you can't do it in their house. Easy enough to ignore the commentary ;)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread