Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Now there's a counterintuitive comment if I've ever seen one... a Reo not in use. ;)

Jif has inspired though. My wood shop is buried in storage... but I may be able to find one of the routers and bits for it, and an orbital sander/pads. Have some really nice exotic wood there too that could be transformed into a "desk organizer" for all my Reos. Can't get to/use the saws so would have to take the selected wood to somebody to cut it down to size, but that would be well worth the effort/cost.

Right now all my Reos are lined up like ducks in a row... or as the adjutant would say in boot near a half a century ago... "nutz and buttz". Six of them are in a small lined thin wood box I had that was the right size to keep them from tipping over, the others cuddling both ends of it for at least some security. Solid security for all of them has a much better ring to it. But it's an idea that does evoke a quandary... how many Reos to make it for. :confused:

Nah, bro, all my REOs are in use. I was referring to attys :)

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
20150409_183204.jpg

Ok, so this is the hardest plywood ever. This stuff is 3/4" and it cost $38 for a 4' X 8' sheet. Go ahead and laugh, but what the hell is this stuff? My chisel is not the newest, but still. .....
Am I using the stupidest wood ever to try and dremel into?

*I'm sweating my cojones off over here.

Just cut the plywood to the size of your desktop. Do the cutouts for the gear you have. Once you add gear, add the cutouts. Maybe start looking for another desk!
Naw, just put the original plywood up on risers, and build another under it on drawer sliders. Or vice versa, old under new. Soon, you'll have enough layers for a vaping dresser!

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
its all in the tools your choosing or have.

ideally you would use a router for clean edges. making a template would be easiest when using a router.

using chisels and a jigsaw is gonna make for some roughness. (because your basically freehanding it and its not a controlled process as it would be with a template)

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
your problems are really related to it being plywood, multiple layers of wood with graining running in different directions, this is what makes it so strong and resistant to warping. but makes using a chisel a big pain. You might want to look into router like bits and heads for your dremel, will still be a lot longer job than a true router.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I am so not a woodworker, so this may be way off base......but based on what others have said, do you know anyone who has a jigsaw? could you maybe cut through both layers with that, then glue another full layer under it?? Might make it too deep for the atties, dunno, but should be ok for the mods. But then you could probably fill in the atty holes with something, then put the 510 thingy in it so it wouldn't be so deep.

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
jif... I have all the woodworking tools you need! just bring yourself to my place in Phoenix and we'll finish that vape stand in an evening :)

But, if you don't wanna come to phoenix just head to your local Lowes or Home depot. Here are some options

1.Drill around the perimeter of the cutouts with a good drill bit. keep holes as close together as possible. Use a hand rasp to clean up edges
2. Get a keyhole saw (a few $$). Drill corner holes and connect the dots. It is a simple small hand saw
3. Get a coping saw (inexpensive) drill corner holes and connect the dots. Will work good on cutouts near edges only
4. Get a circular saw blade for your dremel.
5. Get a cheap jigsaw from Harbor freight, yard sale, pawn shop, craigslist.

a chisel not going to help much on plywood Im afraid.

or just come to Phoenix :)

Thanks
Geo

connelme

Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
Maricopa, AZ, USA
A jig saw will probably be your best and cheapest option. You can find them at Walmart for around $20. Drill your 4 holes and connect the dots. As for the attys use a spade bit the size of each atty and cut through that way. Then just glue a solid piece to the back of the entire project. Looks like a fun little project. Im excited to see it when you are finished.

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Good luck. I know it's gonna come out great once you get the tooling figured.
I'd avoid an electric jigsaw. Yeah, pine ply tends to do that under chisel, and the edges fray a lot with reciprocating (especially "high-speed") saws. Geo looked to have some great advice, not much to add there except that you want fine-tooth blades to minimize tearing the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread