Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Just cut the plywood to the size of your desktop. Do the cutouts for the gear you have. Once you add gear, add the cutouts. Maybe start looking for another desk!

With all the exotic wood I have I wouldn't use plywood to build a vape gear organizer. I call them an organizer because I don't really want them on display, just, well, organized. And it would not include anything but mods. I have a good enough system in place for organizing joose bottles, batts, atty's, spares, etc where they are easy enough to get to but out of the way, most out of sight. The real estate on both of my desks is premium territory, and vape gear does not get all of it. My life revolves around my computer desk and hutch, where I spend more hours out of every 24 than anywhere else 7 days a week... often all 24 a day, sometimes for days on end. So I need elbow room on it for all the other things I do on it. My other desk I made from solid maple with an indestructible Swanstone solid surface top that has a thick inlaid stainless steel plate in one corner with configurations of drilled/threaded holes of various sizes to bolt tools down to. Originally built as a reloading bench for in the house that looked like a piece of furniture. Its my only work center for "projects" now with my real shop in storage. The projects include working on vape gear, doing the DIY, etc., but its also the only place I have now to do any and all heavy duty work that doesn't make a mess in my bungalow. Rules out all my bench top power equipment unfortunately (drill press, lathe, chop saw, sanders, etc).

Does anyone recognize this wood and can anyone let me know if using this wood is a bad idea? I'm wondering if I should just stop if this wood is going to be a huge PITA.

Thanks.

With all the ins and outs of plywood, it can still be easier to work than some hardwoods with the right tools. Some of the projects I've done with maple veneer plywood came out quite nice, but I have all the tools for woodworking. You don't have the right tools, makes working with plywood harder, but not impossible. Templates for a router are great if you have them, but a couple of "C" clamps and a straight edge will get it done just as well and saves the time/material making templates. Since you are limited to a Dremel... I have a router attachment for my Dremel's (but not for my Foredom). It works fairly well for simple things, but is quite limited because of the low power of a Dremel and means working slow a little at a time. In your case don't try to route the entire thickness of the plywood in one pass with a Dremel... take shallower layers at a time down to the depth you want. And keep in mind that woodworking bits for them are not designed for heavy duty work... they will get dull faster and can be overheated and ruined easily if pushed too hard. They are for the hobbyist, not for serious woodworking. On the other the hand the Foredom and the tools for them are workhorse's that can survive just about anything. Mine used to carve duck decoys from solid blocks of wood in short order, was used for metal sculpting and grinding, etc and just about any other task that came to mind.

If I got rid of the dam car in my storage garage (that I'll never drive again) I'd have room to set up some of my wood shop again. It's not an easy sell though... most folks wouldn't want it - too flamboyant with the early 70's psycho paint job.

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Spydro, let us see pictures of the car!

1973 Coupe

VAROOM

vetwave.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: misswish1

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
I did something similar last year, but I drilled the holes in one piece of ply first and for some larger squared, I used a jigsaw. Once I had all the holes and such drilled, then I glued the second whole sheet to it.
For the inquiring minds, I have decided to do this. Starting fresh this weekend and doing all the cuts, then gluing to the second piece. Will post some pics when I make some progress.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
I haven't. I'm not sure yet, but I am picturing a nice dark stain and then perhaps some marine urethane. Depends how much I want to spend on the finish. I may just spray paint it black since I own the paint already.

I'm hoping to work on it a lot this weekend.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
If you're using the same type of plywood that you did on your prototype, it may not take a stain very well, but it could end up looking just fine for it's use. If it doesn't stain well, you can just lightly sand it (lightly, by hand, or you'll sand through the top layer of the ply!) and then paint it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread