My Preliminary Review of Kissbox Classic/Just Got It

Status
Not open for further replies.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
i am not happy with this charge for 16 hours thing.. lithium batteries can be dangerous things.. so can ignorance..

most lithium type batteries have built in protection circuitry.. the ones built in your mobile phone.. laptop PC and digital cameras all have it..

basically a lithium cell when over charged can self incinerate.. not exactly go bang (explode) but it will burst into flames.. it can also destroy itself if over discharged.. the safe discharge point is 2.7 volts.. the safe charge point is 4.2 volts..

the small AAA sized 10440 off the shelf batteries that come with the kiss box and e cigars and cigarillos of all makes do not have this fail safe protection circuitry built in..

the bigger cells that come with the e pipes can be purchased with the control circuitry built in but the ones that come with the pipes dont have it..

knowing something about what u are using is no bad thing..

the none protected batteries rely entirely on the charger doing the control.. when the charger detects the 4.2 volt point it switches off.. it does not go into a trickle charge mode.. so this leave on for 16 hours is not only dangerous its also nonsense..

older metal hydride chargers went into the trickle mode.. for obvious reason lithium chargers do not.. when the light goes green it switches off no more current is passed into the battery.. if there was it would catch fire..

with a fast charger the dangers are greater.. if the charger fails to switch off the battery could/will burst into flames..

the bottom line here is its not good practice to leave these things on all night unattended.. also do not run them too flat.. what protection circuitry the new simplified kiss box main cig battery has built into it i dont know.. i do know the little AAA sized ones dont have any.. i know why janty put the little AAA in the USB line but i think the idea is a little crude..

trog

ps.. removal of the off switch.. yes less possibly of user error.. i wont go into the downside..

best to unplug it when its not needed..

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
You got my attention! My standard practice has been to recharge a battery overnight. Not good, eh? I almost always initiate charging long before a battery's charge is depleted. But I do leave the unit on overnight. Hmmm. I'm betting my beautiful house on a charger made on the cheap in China, huh? And if the failure rate of e-smoking products is any indication of assured quality and safety in that el cheapo charger .. you've changed my practice, starting today.

I appreciate your knowledge and insight on this.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
dnakr said:
To be quite honest, I am confused on how long a lithium battery should be charged. I normally go by what is stated in the manual because as many people that say a lithium battery should be charged this long, an equal amount of people say no they should be charged this long.

dont get confused just believe what i have told u.. the safe charge voltage for a lithium cell is 4.2 volts per cell.. the nominal is 3.7 volts.. some are 3 volts but most rechargeables are 3.7 volt nominal..

the charge needs to be very strictly controlled.. its one of the downsides with lithium technology.. most (consumer) lithium batteries have this control built into them.. not all do.. as i have said elsewhere.. the internet is full of misinformation.. sadly it outnumbers the good information.. one of my "bad" habits is to try and control the bull.... mythology that gets passed around the internet..

when the battery gets to 4.2 volts the charge will stop.. but if u want to put your total trust in cheap chinese chargers u can do so.. when the charged light comes on the job is done simple as that.. nothing is to be gained by leaving the battery in longer.. but something might be lost.. he he

trog

ps.. its also worth noting 80% of the charge will get put into the battery quite quickly.. a 500 mah charger will put 500 mah into the battery till it reaches around 80% of its charge.. then it slows right down.. so a 500 mah battery will be 80% charged in around 40 minutes using a 500 mah charger.. u can do some sums and take them off a lot sooner than waiting for the 4.2 volts to be reached.. they will liver longer.. useful if u are in a hurry for one..

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
by trog100 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:53 pm

dont get confused just believe what i have told u.. the safe charge voltage for a lithium cell is 4.2 volts per cell.. the nominal is 3.7 volts.. some are 3 volts but most rechargeables are 3.7 volt nominal..

the charge needs to be very strictly controlled.. its one of the downsides with lithium technology.. most (consumer) lithium batteries have this control built into them.. not all do.. as i have said elsewhere.. the internet is full of misinformation.. sadly it outnumbers the good information.. one of my "bad" habits is to try and control the x@!% mythology that gets passed around the internet..

when the battery gets to 4.2 volts the charge will stop.. but if u want to put your total trust in cheap chinese chargers u can do so.. when the charged light comes on the job is done simple as that.. nothing is to be gained by leaving the battery in longer.. but something might be lost.. he he

trog

I understand what you are saying. When the green light comes on - the battery is charged. :D
Maybe you can explain to me, for example, the KISSBOX battery. It was just released June 15 and the manual says to charge for 16 hours, then smoke for 20 minutes, then charge for another 4 hours? Why is this? Why not just say when the light turns green, its done?

kessel113

May 14, 2008
trog100 said:
i have no idea what some chinese manuals say or why.. i could hazard a guess and say the dude who wrote it had no idea what he was talking about.. its probably just a left over from older technology.. pretty much like the memory myth..

trog

very interesthing trog
thanks for the info
so wen we receive the kit we don't need to charge the batteries for all those hours ?
even the first time?

thanks

NerdyCinderella

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2008
Gotham City
BAD NEWS PEOPLE

My Kissbox is a lemon. It’s essentially dead. And it was a little scary.

I had put my USB setup aside last night before going to sleep.
This morning I reconnected it for about 15 minutes but changed my mind and disconnected it and put it aside.

Went to setup the regular ecig having finished the 3rd step in the charging process. When I took the atomizer off the USB setup which mind you was sitting aside, unconnected for about 4 hours, the atomizer was so hot I had to immediately drop it from my grasp. I had only used the automatic switch with the USB setup.

Later when I was trying the ecig regular setup the atomizer again got too hot with either of the switches and now doesn’t produce any vapor.

One more comment on the chemical smell and taste I was experiencing. I didn’t think it related to the atomizer because the box the batteries, switches and atomizer comes in smells the same as what I was tasting. To this moment when I open that nice little box it stinks.

I sent Janty an email earlier today regarding the above but have not heard back yet. I imagine I won’t hear from them now until tomorrow.
[right:1gjun2m9]
tears.gif
[/right:1gjun2m9]

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
the switch is faulty.. it wont be the USB factor except for the fact the USB will keep powering things and wont go flat.. a weak battery going flat could be considered a safety factor if the switch sticks on..

a pipe with its huge 960 mah battery could well melt or catch fire if the switch sticks on.. no doubt they will send u another one..

so far i have only one switch stick on with a cigarillo.. the battery just ran down and died.. the device still works but is unusable cos its on all the time.. it could also be an internal short bypassing the switch its hard to tell..

trog

ps.. i think the sticking switch while left aside has killed the atomizer.. they are designed to pass so much current at a given voltage.. a measured length of resistor wire (say one inch) wound into coils if the atomizer get too hot the coils can electrically touch in the middle (the measured length gets effectively shorter (the resistance get less) causing the atomizer to pass too much current get too hot and fail completely.. high technology not.. he he

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
kessel113 said:
trog100 said:
i have no idea what some chinese manuals say or why.. i could hazard a guess and say the dude who wrote it had no idea what he was talking about.. its probably just a left over from older technology.. pretty much like the memory myth..

trog

very interesthing trog
thanks for the info
so wen we receive the kit we don't need to charge the batteries for all those hours ?
even the first time?

thanks

if it was me i would simply charge the little battery in one of my cigar chargers and pop it back in.. but the battery acts as a buffer between the PC usb outlet and the cig.. they are designed to only pass 500 mah.. the cig needs more..

the battery powers the cig the PC charges the battery which powers the cig.. if the battery isnt charged the cig wont work properly.. a pc usb should be capable of rapidly charging the little (350 mah) battery.. half an hour should be enough.. no need for longer..

trog

ps.. an alternative method for powering a device that draw more than the pc usb can (safely) provide is a Y lead.. it uses two usb outlets and feeds into one device.. i have pointed this out to the e-cig people.. make such a lead available..

TheEmperorOfIceCream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
London, UK
ps.. an alternative method for powering a device that draw more than the pc usb can (safely) provide is a Y lead.. it uses two usb outlets and feeds into one device.. i have pointed this out to the e-cig people.. make such a lead available..

I've got one of them (for an old external HDD). I'll have to daisychain a few USB cables to present the right socket to the Janty cable - I'll let you know if I manage it...

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
for future reference.. checking to see if the battery has protection built in or not.. forgive my failed attempt at macro photography.. its hard to get more than a smidge in focus.. he he

the blue ones dont have built in protection.. the silver one in the middle does.. its easy to see.. a separate little plate containing the circuitry is on the end and they are usually a little longer because of the plate/circuit board..

protec.jpg

trog

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Cindy, you poor thing. :cry: My condolences. Your promising new baby has joined Mr. E-Pipe (2008-2008) in e-heaven. You waited so long and patiently .. and then this. Thank goodness you didn't burn your place down. There's been a veritable Rapture of e-devices dying lately.

I have some e-flowers left over from Mr. E-Pipe's memorial services that I could send along ... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread