My Public Vaping Ethos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
Bleh another one of these stupid threads, bye bye :)

*currently walking around the INSIDE of supermarket with my mrs, bored as hell and chain vaping to cope ;)*
Wow you're such a tough guy dude. :laugh: To be honest, I don't really get people like you, but the feeling is probably mutual so let's keep it at that.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Nobody said anything about vaping as I do. You REALLY need to read better.

I said that adults who cannot practice impulse control are in need of counselling.

When you "tout" yourself as having what you call "impulse control" as you did in this post (below) about public vaping, then you are doing just that. And your little game of "semantics" doesn't change your intent to infer others should vape as you do:

.......................I practice my "habits" in moderation. I don't need to vape all the time and everywhere, any more than I need to eat all the time and everywhere.

I really do not see myself as an infant who needs a pacifier in my mouth 24/7.... I mean, as an adults, I have developed self control and control over my appetites and behaviors, I don't have to give in to every urge when it happens at inappropriate times or inappropriate places......................................

I have not found where YOUR definition of "impulse control" is the one all humans must agree with and follow. Judging others by YOUR definition of "impulse control" is simply inflexible arrogance. YOU are using the term "impulse control" as it relates to how others vape in public. YOU are stating they need psychological counseling based on how you define the term.

Unless you can prove that you are an accredited Psychologist or Psychiatrist, stating that those who don't vape publicly in a manner that meets your definition of "impulse control" and thus, need counseling, is simply judgemental arrogance.

Last edited:

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
These bans are because it looks like smoking and smoking is bad.

By the same token, a lot of the people that think that way "look" like reasonable people. :D

Do some actual research into the way the wool was pulled over people's eyes on second-hand smoke. It's maybe 1/100th as bad as the lies and propaganda made it out to be. But the lies, exaggerations, and bad science have now become "common knowledge."

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Wow you're such a tough guy dude. :laugh:

I know right, you can tell from just the way i worded that I am really really tough init :laugh:

To be honest, I don't really get people like you, but the feeling is probably mutual so let's keep it at that.

23855560.jpg

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Read to about page 6 of this thread and decided to respond directly to OP.

Vaping in public has long been seen as the ultimate "perk", if you will, to our chosen hobby and lifestyle. We all know that there is no harmful secondhand smoke from our PV's and that the worst that happens is a typically pretty delightful smell gets exhaled with a large plume of what is essentially water vapor. No harm, no foul, right? I feel that this is in fact wrong, and not only does it make us look a little irresponsible and a little douchey to some (Perkins dude, really? Can't let grandma eat her omelet in peace?), but it may end up our ultimate downfall. Vaping is indeed a grey area in many localities, and one can still maintain respect with our E-cigs and enjoy increased freedom with use of a little decency and spelled out care. I found that a few simple actions are actually looked at with much respect and tends to get our crowd looked at a little better, so I crafted my own personal "Rules for Public Vaping" that I find to be good general guidelines and that I hope you choose to adopt.

Well obviously, I've already read your rules before responding to this paragraph. I just wish to note that "looking a little irresponsible/douchey" is entirely subjective and hence not reason for ultimate downfall. Ultimate downfall will only become possible if vapers treat their activity as something to be inherently ashamed of.

As smoking hasn't come close to "ultimate downfall," I think we are safe for a long time to come.

Rule #1: Not vaping front of children other than your own or your friends, should be an obvious one. Lets be realistic here, huge clouds look pretty sweet to an 11 year old kid (my girlfriend's brother, for example) and we don't want to encourage a new habit amongst youth, especially as possession of e-cigs by minors is one of the greatest problem arguments facing our community.

Remind me to not vape around your girlfriend's brother when I'm in your neck of the woods. Until then, I continue to have significant issues with the ban against children vaping that I'm always up for discussing. As I asked in another thread today, what is the issue with kids vaping zero-nic from some adult vapers?

Rule #2: Your juice DOES have a smell, and some people just won't enjoy it like you. I love the scent of my Fruit Juice Gum, love it. No matter how much I enjoy it though, the fellow three feet down might not. If you're going to vape in a public place, try to avoid other people with your vape and be respectful of their right to only inhale oxygen if they choose.

My friends and family tell me, repeatedly, that my exhaled vapor does not smell. I ask them periodically, and most of the time they say they cannot smell a thing. Sometimes, as in rarely, I have been told a fragrance can be detected.

If being realistic on this point, I would say person must be less than 5 feet from you, you must exhale a pretty hefty amount, and it must be a pungent flavor. If one of those is not true, then the detected smell from a stranger in public is highly unlikely.

Rule #2.2: Restaurants are off-limits. That same smell that may even make you a little hungry may make someone lose their appetite entirely. On top of there being kids around, not one person wants the smell of their steak to be altered by the smell of your Boba's Bounty or Cherry Limeade vape. If your restaurant has a smoking section, opt to sit there if you wish to vape.

I've vaped in 6 restaurants in 2014. Most of the time, asking if it was okay. Usually in spot that was away from main dining area. Thus restaurants aren't off-limits, but are places where respectful vaping ought to go up a notch or two. Again, though I have been allowed to vape in restaurants and thus are not off limits. Concluding otherwise, due to perceived shame, could lead to ultimate downfall.

Rule #3: Walmart and other 24 hour chains, after 11pm or your locality's curfue. After that time there are typically no kids in these spots, and at least in my town places like Walmart are pretty dead at night. I've been asked to pocket my mech mod in the daytime, but not once ever at night. You couldn't have a cig while picking out bread before, must you vape while doing so now?

I don't need to vape literally anywhere (including own home / vehicle), but I desire to vape in many places I go. Walmart and other megastores are arguably the best place to vape, including outdoors, as when you exhale, you have very good idea where that vapor will dissipate to. Outdoors, with wind factor, you can't be so sure. If I am in crowded store, I generally refrain from vaping. If mildly crowded, or less, I can easily find dozens of places where no other human will be present for at least a minute.

Rule #4: Its typically easy to ask the manager if its alright, and usually if you ask they are fine with it. In small businesses or even smaller stores, its typically a good thing to ask the PIC if you can vape in their establishment. As long as whatever manager you are bugging isn't to busy, they usually are fine with it, and you avoid the awkward moment of getting asked to put it away if you don't. Plus, assuming makes an ... out of both "u" and "me" :D

Agree with this for most part, and do ask in many places. But as I vape in hospitals, I generally do not ask. PIC isn't always known and is akin to asking outdoors, IMO. Plus, there are again dozens of places where no humans will be found, and thus is akin to going out into middle of nowhere and thinking I should ask before I take a puff here in the middle of nowhere. Or just do it like I, a vaper, belong here and am being respectful of fellow humans, who happen to be nowhere around me at this point in time.

But as I said before, in restaurant I did ask, and was allowed to vape indoors in those restaurants. Asking, in general, is good protocol. Sometimes, I do find it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Rule #5: Be respectful! This likely goes without saying, but after being on the other end I gotta say it. If someone asks you to put it away, be it that you are indoors or maybe it just plain freaks em out, do so, and even try to explain what it is. I used to be the guy at Taco Bell to have to go tell customers they couldn't vape inside as I was the only employee who was a Vapor Advocate. I approached the situation every time by saying "Hey, as much as I don't wanna do this, I have to ask you to vape. The bossman said if I can't vape inside because of corporate that he won't allow the customers to either, sorry man!" and more than once I had people get defensive as though I wasn't just as much of a Vapor Rights advocate as him.

I would follow the request to put it away, especially if said in courteous tone. Thing is, in my 2+ years of vaping in public, I haven't been asked once. Thus the "be respectful" thing is easier done on the front end if going with vape everywhere with respect.

The bottom line is guys, and I know its been said, is that we as a community have to make the CHOICE to be respectful with our vape, or like cigarettes the government is going to FORCE us to be "Respectful", and no one wants that. Look at poor Duluth, MN. We have lightsaber-lookin flippin sweet cloud chuckin devices and if we want to keep playing with our big boy (or girl) toys, we have to act like "big kids" about them. I know this probably doesn't apply to a vast majority of the existing community here, but I had to get it off my chest, and feel free to add your personal thoughts to this.

/rant

For me, the bottom line, with regards to your rant is that you are preaching to the choir for the most part. I believe most of us here get what respectful vaping looks like. Many of us have do's and don'ts for public vaping, but is personal for the most part. I don't have huge device, so am likely producing a lot less on exhale than most people reading this thread. Yet, I'm still going to be advocate for public vaping on the big devices with all the points I made in rebuttal to your 'rules.' The 'kids' one is biggest deal to me, and again, not shy about having that discussion.

Even if there was harsh rules (like there is with smoking) for public vaping, there will still be people breaking those rules, tip toeing on the line. But to be very clear, if someone is intentionally blowing vapor into another person's face, then that isn't really about vaping, now is it?

If you are a respectful vaper, willing to do it everywhere/anywhere, then there is nothing to be ashamed of IMO. And is the most reasonable position to maintain given underhand tactics of our very visible (political) opposition.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Well, I finally got "full member" status, but don't want to repost in Public Vaping forum. Doubles suck. Mods please move :)

This isn't the way to get help :)

The report triangle at the bottom of the post - use it to get help with things please

I only saw this because I was Forum Surfing

Moved to E-Cigarettes in Public

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Nobody said anything about vaping as I do. You REALLY need to read better.

I said that adults who cannot practice impulse control are in need of counselling.

Everyone is practicing impulse control all the time.

That is pretty much an agreed-upon tenet of the society, at least among healthy people. If you can't practice impulse control then you are.........out of control.

It is very rare to find people that are out of control on an ongoing basis.

Whether it be vaping, eating, drinking alcohol, anger, shopping/spending---or whatever else. There are people who can't control their impulses, and most all of them are either very ill or getting some kind of help. And yes, some are in prisons (lack of ability to control impulses of rage, anger, etc.).

And again, this is very very rare to have no ability to control impulses.

It just occurred to me that perhaps you don't know what impulse control is? And we are having a semantic argument?

I believe you are if you are thinking that someone who chooses to not go 20 minutes without a vape in public lacks that ability. I believe you'd have a very tough time finding mental health professional to support a claim that says this person is diagnosable as lacking that ability.

Because otherwise, I really don't know of anyone who would argue that lack of impulse control is "a good thing" and "healthy" and something that doesn't require some intervention. :facepalm:

And this would depend on how one is using the words "lack of impulse control." If misusing the terms to suggest that nicotine users lack the ability, then it would demonstrate lack of understanding.

And it's not a personal judgement......it's a generally accepted observation by 100% of the medical world and 99% of the society........that the inability to control impulses is a disorder, and certainly demanding of treatment of some kind.

Feel free to back up your assertion with mental health data, particularly as it relates to nicotine users. The 'general disorder' that you seem to be latching onto, applies arguably to all of humanity.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
ok...quit picking apart peoples posts and making snide comments.

Either give your opinion on the OP or not, but don't be sniping at members.

It's not only Forum Rules...it's courtesy and respect for others.

hmmm...courtesy and respect for others, what an interesting concept.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
When you "tout" yourself as having what you call "impulse control"

Admitting to control over one's own behavior is no more a "tout" than saying one has control over their rage or their aggression.

I can't venture a guess why you take exception to developing or practicing healthy abilities. Self control is sort of a given in most environments, whether that be in households with family, or out in the world with coworkers and strangers.

Your comments are beginning to reak of classic enabling behavior, the pushback, the name-calling, the retaliation..... nobody wants to be seen as mean or *condescending*, so they are pressured and encouraged to become enablers---- to help others stay in denial and to support unhealthy behaviors/emotions ----because to do otherwise they will be called names.

Sorry, but that's a FAIL. ;) Try it on somebody else.

I have not found where YOUR definition of "impulse control" is the one all humans must agree with and follow.

It's not my definition.

Its clearly described in the DSM-IV and DSM-5, along with other conduct disorders and self control problems involving emotions and behaviors.

Including those which involve blaming others for their problems, and behaviors that bring an individual into significant conflict with society and/or authority figures.

No stigma attached, and no condescension on my part.....

.....because I don't believe that counselling should carry a stigma when one experiences unhealthy emotions/behaviors, or that to suggest it is *condescending*.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
It's not my definition.

Its clearly described in the DSM-IV and DSM-5, along with other conduct disorders and self control problems involving emotions and behaviors.

Can you please cite that data. My reading of DSM text doesn't match what you are saying with regards to vaping in public and disorders.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
What are you seeing?

Seems like DSM-5 covers a Wide Range of Compulsive Disorders. As well as Mental and Physical Addictions.

DSM-5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing that shows that not being able to go 20 minutes without a puff on an eCig (with or without nicotine) signifies a disorder that laypeople can surely diagnose.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Nothing that shows that not being able to go 20 minutes without a puff on an eCig (with or without nicotine) signifies a disorder that laypeople can surely diagnose.

If a person could not go 20 Minutes without Biting their Nails, would you consider this to be a Disorder?

Or if a Person could Not do 30 Minutes of Shopping in a Store without Nail Biting, would that be something you would consider a Problem?

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
If a person could not go 20 Minutes without Biting their Nails, would you consider this to be a Disorder?

Would depend on the severity of the "biting." If not a harm to themselves, then I would consider it a very mild disorder that isn't worth professional treatment. Moreover, I would question the professional ethics of anyone who deemed it necessary for professional treatment.

Or if a Person could Not do 30 Minutes of Shopping in a Store without Nail Biting, would that be something you would consider a Problem?

Not if it is no significant harm to them.

Mild disorders are the norm for every human I've either met or heard of.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Would depend on the severity of the "biting." If not a harm to themselves, then I would consider it a very mild disorder that isn't worth professional treatment. Moreover, I would question the professional ethics of anyone who deemed it necessary for professional treatment.

Not if it is no significant harm to them.

Mild disorders are the norm for every human I've either met or heard of.

OK... So the Inability of a person to Not Do Something doesn't play a Role in any of this?

BTW - I won't even comment on the Last Sentence in your Post.

Last edited:

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Kind of off track, maybe not, but...

Isn't wanting to control the behavior of others some sort of disorder? :D

The thread starts out as if it's one person's take on what's acceptable (and, I guess exceptable as well :D ) behavior for THEM. Then come the definitions of what other people need to do. I'm cool with that first part, but the second part? Well they need to control their controlling urges. :p

Remember folks, the definition of normal (including normal behavior) varies widely and wildly depending on where you are. It wasn't that long ago that it was 'normal' to smoke pretty much anywhere and everywhere. There's a family-owned restaurant in Nashville that makes some of the best cheeeburgers you'll find anywhere. The folks who run it are (or at least were) all smokers. I recall, not that long ago, a tourist asking for seating in the no-smoking section. The reply was priceless. "We don't have one, but you don't have to smoke if you don't want to." The meaning? Hey dude, this is an establishment that allows smoking. If you want to eat somewhere that's smoke-free, this ain't the place, see ya! And they were OK with that (the owners, not the uptight Yankee tourists :D ).

Honestly, like our example earlier with the theater manager. His house, his rules. No problem. But please, unless your income is derived from the establishment, what gives you or anyone the right to say they can't provide a place where people can vape or even smoke? Do all of you over-controlling folks have your own affairs in such great order that you have to worry about what everyone else is doing to that extent? I don't think so.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
OK... So the Inability of a person to Not Do Something doesn't play a Role in any of this?

As stated before, the "inability" is very very rare. I would argue that it doesn't actually exist, but realize there could be (rare) cases where it would appear to be be non-existent.

Person who brought up this tangent in this thread said they would go hours without a smoke because they would have to (due to work). Yet, from psychological perspective, that isn't actually dealing with the impulse control mechanism, and in a sense is exposing that they had the urges, but denied them (because they felt they had to). So, if forced to, I'm sure all would manifest an 'ability' even while at level of consciousness, it would likely play out far differently. IOW, people mask their 'ability' very well, even while their mild disorder is actually occurring.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Kind of off track, maybe not, but...

Isn't wanting to control the behavior of others some sort of disorder? :D

My short answer would be "yes."

Plausible that DSM would reference this as a form of social anxiety disorder. IMO, it is similar to the issue of "I quit smoking, therefore everyone else should."

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
As stated before, the "inability" is very very rare. I would argue that it doesn't actually exist, but realize there could be (rare) cases where it would appear to be be non-existent.

Person who brought up this tangent in this thread said they would go hours without a smoke because they would have to (due to work). Yet, from psychological perspective, that isn't actually dealing with the impulse control mechanism, and in a sense is exposing that they had the urges, but denied them (because they felt they had to). So, if forced to, I'm sure all would manifest an 'ability' even while at level of consciousness, it would likely play out far differently. IOW, people mask their 'ability' very well, even while their mild disorder is actually occurring.

I dunno Jman8? Perhaps it gets down to how one Defines "Inability".

Seems like if Everyone has the Ability to Not Take a Hit whenever they wanted to, than Many of these Threads would Not Exist.

And there wouldn't be any Bans.

It would just get down to Businesses setting their Own Policies of whether Vaping Was or Wasn't Allowed. And Everyone would Respect their Policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread