My Public Vaping Ethos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an MN lawmaker as a regular customer, showed him this post, and all he said was "If most people did this, I doubt vaping would come up in our legislation in such a bad manner as it has." I would poke so far as to say that, yes, that statement from a lawmaker does prove, at least in this guys case, that how we treat them DOES effect how lawmakers look at us.

It seems many of you are a little irked that I am treating this as vaping = Smoking. Im not. At all. I vape like no other in walmart, but I also don't do it at high noon while the store is packed. I get pretty ballsy with where I vape sometimes, but things like restaurants where people are eating and places with high concentrations of children are just not cool with me personally. I've lost my appetite because of other vapers in perkins before, and that SUCKS to be nicked by one of your own brethren.

I'll rewrite the whole thing in first person if you really truly want, but it won't change much of anything. I write in second person all the time for the simple fact that it's easy to write like I am talking to myself or someone else. I'm not attempting to tell you what to do, it just tends to be easier for myself to write and others to understand like that. Apparently, it also has the added perk of starting one helluva interesting flame war. The internet would be SO BORING if people didn't get upset with other people's views.

I'm thinking this is the last time I pipe up on this thread. Mod's, close 'er down if you like. I said my bit, got my little rant off my chest, and even found a couple in agreement. I thank you ALL for everything you've put in to it, and I even would personally like to think @Jman08 and @wv2win for the interesting time. Maybe you guys can PM me or vice versa and we can work out our view differences there. Peace all, I'll be in other sections :p

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I have an MN lawmaker as a regular customer, showed him this post, and all he said was "If most people did this, I doubt vaping would come up in our legislation in such a bad manner as it has." I would poke so far as to say that, yes, that statement from a lawmaker does prove, at least in this guys case, that how we treat them DOES effect how lawmakers look at us.

I'd love to talk with this MN lawmaker. I find that he/she is unaware of opposition if this is actually his claim on why legislation comes up.

It seems many of you are a little irked that I am treating this as Vaping = Smoking. Im not. At all. I vape like no other in walmart, but I also don't do it at high noon while the store is packed. I get pretty ballsy with where I vape sometimes, but things like restaurants where people are eating and places with high concentrations of children are just not cool with me personally. I've lost my appetite because of other vapers in perkins before, and that SUCKS to be nicked by one of your own brethren.

The restaurants I've vaped in have all, but one, explicitly allowed it. I can't recall ever vaping in a restaurant and blowing vapor toward anyone. Even in the case where I wasn't given explicit permission to vape. I also can't recall being in a place with high concentration of kids.

Vaping, with respect, can easily be done in a restaurant. I think restaurant owners get this.
Not vaping around high volume of kids is super duper easy for me. But not going to get to a point where a kid may sometime be present in locations I choose to vape, and therefore, I should never ever vape there. That strikes me as ridiculous. I'd vape in a grade school, without kids present and have zero issue with it. I'm curious why you (or any vaper) might have issue with that?

I'll rewrite the whole thing in first person if you really truly want, but it won't change much of anything. I write in second person all the time for the simple fact that it's easy to write like I am talking to myself or someone else. I'm not attempting to tell you what to do, it just tends to be easier for myself to write and others to understand like that. Apparently, it also has the added perk of starting one helluva interesting flame war. The internet would be SO BORING if people didn't get upset with other people's views.

The bolded parts are, I feel, not entirely accurate/truthful. You can't claim "I'm not attempting to tell you what to do" after writing "Restaurants are off-limits." If I say, "you need to rewrite your OP" followed by "I'm not attempting to tell you what to do" does the latter statement sound accurate?

Fact is, you can't edit that post anymore. But I'd suggest talking in first person if you truly don't feel like you are not on a soapbox and/or prefacing as clearly as possible that where you say "you" you actually mean "me" and that this is "you" talking to yourself. Otherwise, drop the hypocrisy rhetoric that says you aren't telling others what to do, cause it looks a lot like you were.

I'm thinking this is the last time I pipe up on this thread. Mod's, close 'er down if you like. I said my bit, got my little rant off my chest, and even found a couple in agreement. I thank you ALL for everything you've put in to it, and I even would personally like to think @Jman08 and @wv2win for the interesting time. Maybe you guys can PM me or vice versa and we can work out our view differences there. Peace all, I'll be in other sections :p

Wasn't going to post on this thread again myself until I saw zoiDman quote your post in another thread with blurb about that being ignored as if this post from you resembled something like end to all discussions on this topic. I think MN lawmaker is not being accurate with information and until MN lawmaker wishes to chime in and speak for themselves, I stand by that claim.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I think MN lawmaker is not being accurate with information and until MN lawmaker wishes to chime in and speak for themselves, I stand by that claim.

It's Funny how Forums work.

If Someone Posts about Vaping in a Restaurant and there are No Complains, Many People Put Likes on the Post.

But if Someone Posts about the Same Thing but there was Negative Responses, then the Post is Challenged. Sometimes even the Veracity is Called Into Question.

But I guess it Depends on the Forum you are on. And the Type of Members who are Replying.

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
It's Funny how Forums work.

If Someone Posts about Vaping in a Restaurant and there are No Complains, Many People Put Likes on the Post.

But if Someone Posts about the Same Thing but there was Negative Responses, then the Post is Challenged. Sometimes even the Veracity is Called Into Question.

But I guess it Depends on the Forum you are on. And the Type of Members who are Replying.

Lool this forum is really good got some good info off here loads of times, but it's also argumentative sometimes. Its all good sharing different views on someting but sometimes people can come across as judgemental snobs with their head jammed up their ... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Lool this forum is really good got some good info off here loads of times, but it's also argumentative sometimes. Its all good sharing different views on someting but sometimes people can come across as judgemental snobs with their head jammed up their ... lol

Couldn't Agree with you More NathanielFT.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
If you had taken a few minutes to do a little research before you stood on your soap-box and preached, you would have found that this topic has been beaten to death. You added nothing new, just the same old condescending "vape as I do because I know better than you" BS. But you would rather preach than do a few minutes of research. Lazy arrogance.

Seems like you don't understand what quotes mean or when they should be used. At no time did OP actually state "vape as I do because I know better than you". When you put those two little marks in between the text that makes it look like he did say that. We can all go back and look at his posts and see, nope. He never said that. He simply stated what HE does. He never said, or even implied, anyone else HAD TO do what he does.

You seem to want this forum to be a vaping echo chamber. Internet forums are a platform for discussion. Dissenting viewpoints are a good thing because it helps us explore other viewpoints we might not have thought about. If you've decided that your viewpoint is it and have set the concrete around it, then what makes you log in?

If you've seen the discussion beaten to death in thousands of threads then why do you bother to post in them? Seems you like to bring the misery upon yourself.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Seems like you don't understand what quotes mean or when they should be used. At no time did OP actually state "vape as I do because I know better than you". When you put those two little marks in between the text that makes it look like he did say that. We can all go back and look at his posts and see, nope. He never said that. He simply stated what HE does. He never said, or even implied, anyone else HAD TO do what he does.

You Haven't seen much of the way wv2win Posts, have you?

LOL

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

Disagree with this. Speaking in the 2nd person doesn't make for "simply stating what a first person speaker would do." Instead, it reads a lot like, "you should do as I say." Example of "restaurants are off-limits" speaks to my take. There's nothing in that paragraph that is speaking in first person and instead is speaking with false authority about why "you shouldn't."

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
Disagree with this. Speaking in the 2nd person doesn't make for "simply stating what a first person speaker would do." Instead, it reads a lot like, "you should do as I say." Example of "restaurants are off-limits" speaks to my take. There's nothing in that paragraph that is speaking in first person and instead is speaking with false authority about why "you shouldn't."

ok, show me where OP actually typed into this forum the following series of text

"vape as I do because I know better than you"

Because that's what those little marks between the letters signify. First, third or the royal 'We' make no difference. Your disagreement has little impact on the definition of quotation.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Doesn't the Title of this Thread have the word "My" in it?

And Hasn't the OP Repeatedly stated that this is What He Does. And Isn't Telling Other's what They should do?

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
ok, show me where OP actually typed into this forum the following series of text

"vape as I do because I know better than you"

Because that's what those little marks between the letters signify.

I didn't say that what you selectively chose to put into quotes will be found in OP. But because you are disputing this, I'll cite up to 10 lines from OP that are implying or stating rhetoric alongs lines of "you do as I say:"

• Not vaping front of children other than your own or your friends, should be an obvious one
  • Your juice DOES have a smell, and some people just won't enjoy it like you.
  • If you're going to vape in a public place, try to avoid other people with your vape
  • Restaurants are off-limits
  • not one person wants the smell of their steak to be altered by the smell of your Boba's Bounty or Cherry Limeade vape
  • If your restaurant has a smoking section, opt to sit there if you wish to vape.
  • You couldn't have a cig while picking out bread before, must you vape while doing so now?
  • If someone asks you to put it away, be it that you are indoors or maybe it just plain freaks em out, do so, and even try to explain what it is.
  • We have lightsaber-lookin flippin sweet cloud chuckin devices and if we want to keep playing with our big boy (or girl) toys, we have to act like "big kids" about them.

First, third or the royal 'We' make no difference.

It does when one is trying to claim this is only "my" ethos and am in no way telling others what they should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread