My replacement coils burn out too fast with kanger protank 2 and ego twist 1300 mah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris9711

Jul 22, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I don't know what I am doing wrong but I have a kanger protank 2 and an ego twist 1300mah variable voltage battery. I set the voltage on 3.6 or 3.8, but the coils burn out after 1 day of usage. I look at them and the wicks are black and burn my juice if I use them so I have to change the coils everyday. That doesn't seem right, my mom has the same setup but uses a vision spinner variable voltage 900mah battery, turns it to 3.8v and her coils last a week, sometimes longer. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I would really appreciate the help as I can't keep changing coils everyday, it's ridiculous. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you have. Also I use 2.5 ohm coils in the Kanger Protank 2.

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Is the coil actually burned out our is it and the wick just dark. If your juice is dark or sometimes the real sweet juices will even do that. They gunk up the wick. On the protank types you can run lower voltages and still get a lot of vapor. One other thing are they really Kanger heads. Cuz there are a bunch of knockoffs out there. The ones on Fasttech are junk. Some vendors even sell Evod heads saying they are protank heads.

Any way. Try soaking them in alcohol for a while rinse them good and bun them in the base with out the top untill it stops smoking on low votage. This is called a Dry burn. May be able to use it a bit longer. Other than that I don't know what it could be unless you are running through a couple of refillls in day. I clean them each filling on the large version.

jiveman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
usa
I don't know what I am doing wrong but I have a kanger protank 2 and an ego twist 1300mah variable voltage battery. I set the voltage on 3.6 or 3.8, but the coils burn out after 1 day of usage. I look at them and the wicks are black and burn my juice if I use them so I have to change the coils everyday. That doesn't seem right, my mom has the same setup but uses a vision spinner variable voltage 900mah battery, turns it to 3.8v and her coils last a week, sometimes longer. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I would really appreciate the help as I can't keep changing coils everyday, it's ridiculous. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you have. Also I use 2.5 ohm coils in the Kanger Protank 2.

Well if you can, use your mom's spinner battery for a day and have her use yours on your next coil and if it works fine for you or she experiences the same problem that will eliminate a problem with your heads/tank.

Possible battery or juice problem.

Try a different juice first as some sweet vapes can gunk up a coil.
Do you have a multimeter?

and start rebuilding your own coils, it's cheap and easy.

Last edited:

Osiris9711

Jul 22, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I will try some of the things you guys have said and see if I can figure it out. I have bought 5 pack replacements from fast-tech but the problem is the same, mine last for weeks and her's just a day. I have tried cleaning up the coil the way you mentioned steved5600, this gives her about a half a tank of normal usage and she's back to the same problem. Thanks for the suggestions I will see if any of them will resolve our issue.

Osiris

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I had that same problem with my Protank, and I now have a large collection of coils I acquired during my Protank days. I had been rebuilding them over and over. Was also using Vision 1300 mAh batteries for a time. Got tired of that. Moved on. I don't miss the hassle, and my Protank has been sitting there having abandonment issues for over a month now.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Is the coil actually burned out our is it and the wick just dark. If your juice is dark or sometimes the real sweet juices will even do that. They gunk up the wick. On the protank types you can run lower voltages and still get a lot of vapor. One other thing are they really Kanger heads. Cuz there are a bunch of knockoffs out there. The ones on Fasttech are junk. Some vendors even sell Evod heads saying they are protank heads.

Any way. Try soaking them in alcohol for a while rinse them good and bun them in the base with out the top untill it stops smoking on low votage. This is called a Dry burn. May be able to use it a bit longer. Other than that I don't know what it could be unless you are running through a couple of refillls in day. I clean them each filling on the large version.

You still have a lot of learning to do.
ProTank/Evod heads are interchangeable - in fact, Kanger now only offers one head design for BOTH!
Knock off heads = Junk - Don't think so. Have had no more or less issues with FT heads than Factory direct Kanger heads.
Bodies are the same, Wicks are silica and coils are same size resistance wire.

Sure you can get a miss aligned wick/coil now and then - on any manufacturer - Adjust as needed to correct and use it.

I pop the pipe off every new head, inspect and dry burn BEFORE USE.
Guess what - Every single one has a wisp of smoke on the first firings. That is contaminants burning off!!! Kanger/clones alike.

Moral of the story:
Sit in the dark and complain about every piece of junk or
Learn and enjoy Vaping.:)

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
Dont change coils in the first step. You should wash them and dry burn. I changed coils silicas immediately after it ceases to give enough vapour. until I learned this method. Just look you tube how to wash and dry burn your tank.
Batteries, voltage, ohmage, all changes taste. Try to find apropriate by beginning most little volt to increasing step by step.

Osiris9711

Jul 22, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Originally posted by JSquared

Wha?! Who's last longer? Yours or your Moms?

If the ones from FastTech are only lasting a day and the others are from elsewhere and last longer - that may well be the answer to your problem!

JJ

My mom's last longer and she is using the vision spinner 900mah and I am using an ego twist 1300mah, we both use replacement coils that I have ordered from fasttech. Her coils last for weeks, while my coils burn out in a day, sometimes 2 if I am lucky. I am using an ego twist 1300mah. So I have eliminated fast-tech as the problem because we both use them. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
This is totally mysterious.
It's crazy, unless you're vaping 5x more than mom.
The coils from FastTech may or may not be as good - but if you're both using the same coils, the same batteries and the same juice, you should get roughly the same performance.
All the tips about cleaning are still good practice, and it may make sense to try a branded coil to see if it lasts you longer anyway...

Osiris9711

Jul 22, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Quote Originally Posted by steved5600

Originally Posted by crxess

You still have a lot of learning to do.
ProTank/Evod heads are interchangeable - in fact, Kanger now only offers one head design for BOTH!
Knock off heads = Junk - Don't think so. Have had no more or less issues with FT heads than Factory direct Kanger heads.
Bodies are the same, Wicks are silica and coils are same size resistance wire.

Sure you can get a miss aligned wick/coil now and then - on any manufacturer - Adjust as needed to correct and use it.

I pop the pipe off every new head, inspect and dry burn BEFORE USE.
Guess what - Every single one has a wisp of smoke on the first firings. That is contaminants burning off!!! Kanger/clones alike.

Moral of the story:
Sit in the dark and complain about every piece of junk or
Learn and enjoy Vaping.:)

I agree totally, I have ordered many products from fasttech and have had no issues with them and they are exactly what they say they are, not knockoffs. I have also bought some from the store, of course I have to pay 3 times as much for it in the store but, I get the exact same product and quality as fasttech so I only order from them now.

I have done the same research and know that ProTank/Evod are interchangeable, as long as it is a 510 it will fit the threads to my batteries, it's really that simple.

I have never tried dry burn as you suggested but I will tomorrow when I need to change my fuse again.

I was just trying to figure out if my ego battery twist 1300mah may be defective or if I am doing something wrong.

This may be moot, I ordered a VAMO V3 which is due to arrive Tuesday and I won't be using that aforementioned battery any longer, I think I will gift it to my Mom. I still need to know if something's wrong though or she probably won't use it either.

Osiris

Osiris9711

Jul 22, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted by Train2

This is totally mysterious.
It's crazy, unless you're vaping 5x more than mom.
The coils from FastTech may or may not be as good - but if you're both using the same coils, the same batteries and the same juice, you should get roughly the same performance.
All the tips about cleaning are still good practice, and it may make sense to try a branded coil to see if it lasts you longer anyway...

I think there is confusion because of the number of replies from original message. So just to clarify, I use an ego twist 1300mah, my Mom uses the vision spinner 900mah. They are not the same battery. Everything else about our setup is the same.

Osiris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread