My replacement coils burn out too fast with kanger protank 2 and ego twist 1300 mah

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Osiris9711, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Osiris9711

Osiris9711 Full Member

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I have a kanger protank 2 and an ego twist 1300mah variable voltage battery. I set the voltage on 3.6 or 3.8, but the coils burn out after 1 day of usage. I look at them and the wicks are black and burn my juice if I use them so I have to change the coils everyday. That doesn't seem right, my mom has the same setup but uses a vision spinner variable voltage 900mah battery, turns it to 3.8v and her coils last a week, sometimes longer. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I would really appreciate the help as I can't keep changing coils everyday, it's ridiculous. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you have. Also I use 2.5 ohm coils in the Kanger Protank 2.

2. szot

szot Ultra Member ECF Veteran

are U both using the same eliquid?...that does matter yanno....and is she using the protank too?...and are ya both using the same ohm coils?......just cause 2 people drive chevys don't mean they get the same gas mileage...

3. steved5600

steved5600 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Is the coil actually burned out our is it and the wick just dark. If your juice is dark or sometimes the real sweet juices will even do that. They gunk up the wick. On the protank types you can run lower voltages and still get a lot of vapor. One other thing are they really Kanger heads. Cuz there are a bunch of knockoffs out there. The ones on Fasttech are junk. Some vendors even sell Evod heads saying they are protank heads.

Any way. Try soaking them in alcohol for a while rinse them good and bun them in the base with out the top untill it stops smoking on low votage. This is called a Dry burn. May be able to use it a bit longer. Other than that I don't know what it could be unless you are running through a couple of refillls in day. I clean them each filling on the large version.

4. steved5600

steved5600 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I don't have this problem and I have like 5 of them.

5. Choc_Addic

Choc_Addic Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

steved5600 is right. You need to clean it up.

Go and watch youtube on how to clean, dry burn protank or EVOD, which are the same build and works the same way.

Cheers

6. unsure

unsure ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

+1

Same here and Im not a tube guy. I bought 5 LRs with my new Protank2 and put one in immediately. 2 weeks and it the same vape.

7. tripdoc79

tripdoc79 Full Member

it might be your battery, i had the same problem when i was using my Vision Spinner 1300mah and the protank, i changed my battery and even though running att he same voltage, i no longer have the issue.

8. jiveman

jiveman Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Well if you can, use your mom's spinner battery for a day and have her use yours on your next coil and if it works fine for you or she experiences the same problem that will eliminate a problem with your heads/tank.

Possible battery or juice problem.

Try a different juice first as some sweet vapes can gunk up a coil.
    Do you have a multimeter?

and start rebuilding your own coils, it's cheap and easy.

9. Osiris9711

Osiris9711 Full Member

Yes we are both using Kanger Protank 2, with 2.5 ohm coils, and the exact same ejuice liquid. Does that help?

10. Osiris9711

Osiris9711 Full Member

I will try some of the things you guys have said and see if I can figure it out. I have bought 5 pack replacements from fast-tech but the problem is the same, mine last for weeks and her's just a day. I have tried cleaning up the coil the way you mentioned steved5600, this gives her about a half a tank of normal usage and she's back to the same problem. Thanks for the suggestions I will see if any of them will resolve our issue.

Osiris

11. jSquared

jSquared Super Member ECF Veteran

Wha?! Who's last longer? Yours or your Moms? :unsure:

If the ones from FastTech are only lasting a day and the others are from elsewhere and last longer - that may well be the answer to your problem!

JJ

12. Vaslovik

Vaslovik Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I had that same problem with my Protank, and I now have a large collection of coils I acquired during my Protank days. I had been rebuilding them over and over. Was also using Vision 1300 mAh batteries for a time. Got tired of that. Moved on. I don't miss the hassle, and my Protank has been sitting there having abandonment issues for over a month now.

13. crxess

crxess ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

You still have a lot of learning to do.
    ProTank/Evod heads are interchangeable - in fact, Kanger now only offers one head design for BOTH!
    Knock off heads = Junk - Don't think so. Have had no more or less issues with FT heads than Factory direct Kanger heads.
    Bodies are the same, Wicks are silica and coils are same size resistance wire.

Sure you can get a miss aligned wick/coil now and then - on any manufacturer - Adjust as needed to correct and use it.

I pop the pipe off every new head, inspect and dry burn BEFORE USE.
    Guess what - Every single one has a wisp of smoke on the first firings. That is contaminants burning off!!! Kanger/clones alike.

Moral of the story:
    Sit in the dark and complain about every piece of junk or
    Learn and enjoy Vaping.:)

14. nmackan

nmackan Super Member ECF Veteran

Dont change coils in the first step. You should wash them and dry burn. I changed coils silicas immediately after it ceases to give enough vapour. until I learned this method. Just look you tube how to wash and dry burn your tank.
    Batteries, voltage, ohmage, all changes taste. Try to find apropriate by beginning most little volt to increasing step by step.

15. Osiris9711

Osiris9711 Full Member

My mom's last longer and she is using the vision spinner 900mah and I am using an ego twist 1300mah, we both use replacement coils that I have ordered from fasttech. Her coils last for weeks, while my coils burn out in a day, sometimes 2 if I am lucky. I am using an ego twist 1300mah. So I have eliminated fast-tech as the problem because we both use them. Sorry for the confusion.

16. Train2

Train2 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

This is totally mysterious.
    It's crazy, unless you're vaping 5x more than mom.
    The coils from FastTech may or may not be as good - but if you're both using the same coils, the same batteries and the same juice, you should get roughly the same performance.
    All the tips about cleaning are still good practice, and it may make sense to try a branded coil to see if it lasts you longer anyway...

17. Osiris9711

Osiris9711 Full Member

I agree totally, I have ordered many products from fasttech and have had no issues with them and they are exactly what they say they are, not knockoffs. I have also bought some from the store, of course I have to pay 3 times as much for it in the store but, I get the exact same product and quality as fasttech so I only order from them now.

I have done the same research and know that ProTank/Evod are interchangeable, as long as it is a 510 it will fit the threads to my batteries, it's really that simple.

I have never tried dry burn as you suggested but I will tomorrow when I need to change my fuse again.

I was just trying to figure out if my ego battery twist 1300mah may be defective or if I am doing something wrong.

This may be moot, I ordered a VAMO V3 which is due to arrive Tuesday and I won't be using that aforementioned battery any longer, I think I will gift it to my Mom. I still need to know if something's wrong though or she probably won't use it either.

Osiris

18. Osiris9711

Osiris9711 Full Member

I think there is confusion because of the number of replies from original message. So just to clarify, I use an ego twist 1300mah, my Mom uses the vision spinner 900mah. They are not the same battery. Everything else about our setup is the same.

Osiris

19. Jason Tucher

Jason Tucher Full Member

Had a friend with one of those spinner batteries and his stuck on 4.5 (tested with vm) volts no matter where the spinner was set. Like you he nuked coils left and right. He replaced the battery no more issues.

20. futureofrobotics

futureofrobotics Full Member

you have to consider your resistance. if you're using a low ohm atomizer i.e. 1.5ohm, you don't want to crank the volts up over 3.5. Also high VG % juices seem to burn silica wicks faster in my experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.