MY STORY: Over One Year, $6,000, -12,700 cigs and counting, Happy Vaporversary to Me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was also posted in the newbie section, as I thought it most important for them to see. But I am posting here, to add to the others, in the appropriate forum as well.

MY STORY

:vapor::bday: For all the newbies and vets, and the legislature who are trying to ban e-cigs:

I smoked analogs for over 27 years, with a 7 year break in between. Before I quit, I was up to a pack and a half of Marlboro Lights a day. And I live in NY, where cigs are/were nearly $10.00 a pack. I tried the patches/gum/chantix/nicotrol/hypnosis, you name it - I tried it. Short of being put under general anesthesia for 2 months, I wasn't quitting.

It took finding a lump in my breast to finally scare the crap out of me. :blink: I immediately ordered one of the crappy, deluxe, $150.00 V-2 cigs. I took one last drag off my analog, and bravely undertook the flat-iron mammo. Luckily, it turned out to be only a cyst. But for me, it was God's way of saying, "there's your warning!". :nun:

I alternatively vaped, and smoked butts, (to really make it disgusting) and smoking just gradually faded.Then, graduated to the KGO - and I was on really my way.

After 6 months, my cholesterol dropped 100 points. With the e-cig, I not only did NOT gain weight, I lost it. The first 6 months, I only had to stop 3 times from my daily sprint to the post office to pause for a breath. After 9, once. After 12, none. Moreover, I wasn't even out of breath after I left the post office. I can smell a cigarette from down the street, better than a non-smoker. I can smell everything. I don't even have to say how much money I've saved, or how many cigarettes I've not smoked - see it for yourself, below.

Last month, I visited my father, a 50 year smoker, who's been trying to quit for nearly 49 of those years (also bought the v2 510'S, did nothing but reduce). Between his constant hacking and inhaler, we had some wonderful conversations. I ordered the KGO for him, and had Brent, from Hoosier talk him through it (he's 76, easily frustrated by anything that seems like a gadget).

While we waited for it to arrive, I was alarmed by his unbelievable hacking. It reminded me of the the last days of my grandfather. In those last days, he was simply an old man who sat in the corner, smoking, hacking, gasping for air. He died of emphysema. My father calls it the new PC term, COPD, but let's face it - it's early emphysema. The big tobacco companies in bed with the pharmaceutical industry just artfully thought of a way to avoid the term while pandering to the denial of smokers, so let's call it what it is. I was especially concerned when my father panicked because he didn't get his prescription in time for his inhaler. I could feel his terror, and his see clenched fists. I was terrified, too.

When the KGO arrived, I started him at the highest nicotine level, and at a 70/30 PG/VG ratio. Within a day, his coughing minimized. Within 2 days 2x a day. Within a week, he'd not used the inhaler except, perhaps, once every two days. I cannot describe to you, the beauty of what silence was throughout the house. No hacking, coughing, gasping for air from another room, that I had to painfully bear witness to - and that could have VERY easily have been my future - as well.

My father has now been smoke-free for over 2 months now - the longest ever. Though he continually complains:mad:and curses at all the "gadgetry", and needs Brent at Hoosier on speed-dial (thanks, Brent for your patience!) he perseveres.

Today, I not only celebrate my success, I celebrate his. May the generational fate stop here. :toast:

I hope this post inspires you newbies to "break on through to the other side", and to persevere. And to all the vets, for support, and validation. To the legislators, more testimonial that there IS proof of success from e-cigs. :rickroll:

Prospect

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2012
the 7th layer of hell
A huge congrats to you! I am a young ex-smoker now but I can highly relate to the breathing and smelling. I can smell a cigarette from what feels like miles now (I can just smell and taste everything much better). And because I go to a very large university I walk over 3 miles a day and really feel the difference in breathing and fatigue by the end of a walk!

DianeElaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
Batavia, NY
What a wonderful analog to vape story. I'm like Kalnoodle..I got teary reading about your Dad. OM word that's so great he is getting relief from being tied to his inhaler..so happy for you both:)

Congratulations 1.jpg on your anniversary!!

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
congrats to both of you and thanks for that informative and well thought out post. I lost my grandfather and my uncle to cancer and both my mom and dad have the early stages of emphysema.

I agree with you 100 percent about calling it what it is and not pandering to smokers denial. I quit because I dont want to be that guy walking around with an oxygen tank at 50 or laying in a hospital bed dying of cancer while my family suffers.

Uncle Sam

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
N. Cali Sierras
Awesome story. I wish I could get my old man to switch. He is almost 70 and has smoked since he was 9. (I started when I was 10 - what a dumbA$$ I was)

Anyway, he smokes PallMall, arguable the best cigarette made, but definately the worst, and, wait for it....3-4 packs A DAY. I cannot believe he doesn't have cancer, but he has had multiple open heart surgeries and hacks like a crappy chainsaw. If he would switch over, he may enjoy some of the final days of his life. I think it is beyond hope, but what can you do?

All I can do is not be like that and show my children that smoking cigarettes is a loser's game. One I no longer play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread