My throat hurts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorizo

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
IN
The title was basically the point of this post.

Yes it does.

I started using my first e-cig about five days ago and it hurt a little at first and then got better and now it's just awful.

I'm using the liquid that came with my 901-tobacco flavored high nicotine.

I was wondering if this is normal at first or if it will always irritate my throat? It's pretty harsh when I hit it.

Then, could it just be the crappy liquid e-puffer sent me with my over priced starter kit?

I have ordered (LAST WEEK!) but not yet recieved two bottles of liquid from Johnson's Creek, is it possible I'll feel better using a different liquid?

Or is it possible it's the PG in the liquid?

I don't want to have to stop this new habit!

Thanks if anyone can help me.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I am so sorry to hear you have a problem! I think that it is most likely your nic is too high and you are drawing to hard..like your old smokes.. Until your juice gets here could you drip a drop or two of Glycerin in your cart? You could also drip a drop on the Atomizer. Come to think of it, it could just be because your atomizer has gotten dry! You can find Glycerin at your local drug store, walmart, supermarket ect. Check the hand lotion isle. Humco is billed as a skin protectant. Wilton's gycerin is found in baking isle in some stores. Both have USP on them. That means it's safe to use for vaping.
When I got my first e-cig I had a bad taste that burned my lips and mouth. I rised the carts and it stopped. It wasn't the stuffing or juice, just the carts. Those cart were only in one of my kits and not in the other.
I use Chorizo in my Spanish bean soup! That's what's for dinner tomorrow! Thanks:rolleyes:

Last edited:

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Well, I had little bit of minor irritation of throat when I first began - but it was the dry-mouth that was most pronounced. Both of them, though, went a way in about a week.

JC's new juice, however, is known for its smoothness, so you might have a better chance. Also PG vs VG might be a good thing to look into, if your problem persists.

Chorizo

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
IN
Wow thanks, that does help a lot, because this problem wasn't quite as bad when I was using lower nic carts. Hopefully the JC is smooth like they say, I'm looking forward to recieving that package, if it ever freaking happens. I only ordered it six days ago, still hasn't been shipped, but that's another matter entirely.

marykay- Yeah, I love chorizo, it's my favorite. I would eat it every day if I could.

Chorizo, My throat is buggin me, too.

I can't say it hurts, but it's definitely dry and scratchy.

I've been using my ecig for less than a week, and I've been alternating the low and medium nic carts that came with my starter kit while I'm waiting on my JC juice, too. 8 days since I ordered it, still "processing." :(

If it's still real dry after I try the JC juice, I might try switching to VG juice and see if that helps.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
There is definitely an adjustment period when moving from real cigarettes to e-cigs, and the vapour (esp PG based) can also dry your throat out.

Make sure you have a drink on hand and take sips every few minutes and after a week or two of use, your body will have adjusted to both the lack of the old and the addition of the new substances you are putting into your body.

A very small % of people do have a long-term reaction to PG, but I see a lot of people on here saying that they react to PG, when in effect it is probably only the 'adjustment period' (that's not meant to belittle those people in any way). Most people who truly have a reaction will have a bit more than just a sore throat. Either way, you have the option of switching to a VG based liquid, but, of course, if you do,you are more limited in your choice of liquids.

That's my opinion anyway... for what it's worth.... based both on my own experiences and from reading and reading and reading this forum!

Chorizo

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
IN
Thanks angela.

I've brought this thread up once again to kind of update my status. There was no switching from regular cigarettes to e-cigs for me. There was a six week period in which I was completely free of analogs before I started using an e-cig (I MISSED IT OKAY?)

Anyway, the sore throat was okay for like one day and seemed as though it may be getting better and may soon leave. Well, that was about three days ago, and today is the worst it has been.

Also, I have developed a sneeze, and it FEELS like I am sick, but I don't know, I'm one of those people who feels a body ache if their nose runs while eating hot sauce, so this body ache could be in my head.

My throat hurts a little, and feels like there is a lot of drainage.

I'm no doctor, but I would say I have a cold.

But it seems so coincidental for this to occur when I started vaping. So I don't know.
Anyone think I am allergic and should stop right now? I know you probably aren't doctors either, I just would really like to NOT have to stop, or switch to VG as, like angela said, my choices would be limited, also, I've read around here that vaping that might be more dangerous than PG. Not sure.

Does it sound like what would happen with an allergic reaction, anyone whose had one?

I just got the sneeze today and have been using my e-cig for a week now. I don't understand what is going on.

Raven_Blackblade

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Kent, Washington
Thanks angela.

I've brought this thread up once again to kind of update my status. There was no switching from regular cigarettes to e-cigs for me. There was a six week period in which I was completely free of analogs before I started using an e-cig (I MISSED IT OKAY?)

Anyway, the sore throat was okay for like one day and seemed as though it may be getting better and may soon leave. Well, that was about three days ago, and today is the worst it has been.

Also, I have developed a sneeze, and it FEELS like I am sick, but I don't know, I'm one of those people who feels a body ache if their nose runs while eating hot sauce, so this body ache could be in my head.

My throat hurts a little, and feels like there is a lot of drainage.

I'm no doctor, but I would say I have a cold.

But it seems so coincidental for this to occur when I started vaping. So I don't know.
Anyone think I am allergic and should stop right now? I know you probably aren't doctors either, I just would really like to NOT have to stop, or switch to VG as, like angela said, my choices would be limited, also, I've read around here that vaping that might be more dangerous than PG. Not sure.

Does it sound like what would happen with an allergic reaction, anyone whose had one?

I just got the sneeze today and have been using my e-cig for a week now. I don't understand what is going on.

:lol: This is not an allergic reaction. Depending on the area that you live in it is common that the change between seasons is most likely to be suspected. Surprisingly, this EXACT same thing happened to me, and I thought that I had down right the flu. My fiance reminded me (yes I need to be reminded) that I do have seasonal allergies. I took some alevert for about 3 days (one a day is all you should need) and now I am peachy keen again. At least for now.

Perhaps give this a try and you might be surprised as to the results.

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY
hi everybody,
i'm using my new 501 e-cig from about 2 days.
i also have this throat sore and sometime cough after vaping...
i suspect my body/throat has to get used to some element contained in the liquid (i'm using totally wiked liquid).
I'm pretty sure it's something related to vaping, my throat gets dry just after vaping.
i suspect it may be the Propylene Glycol (PG), as i have the same kind of dryness and irritancy when i inhale fog-machine smoke (i'm a musician and sometimes they use it on stage, fog-machine smoke is basically vaporized propylene glycol).
i really hope it's only the switch between analogs and e-cigs and the throat sore will go away in a week or so..
Are there e-liquids made of a different kind of vaping element ( i mean no PG) ?

mat

Chorizo

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
IN
Yeah, my sore throat got worse. I ended up with a sinus infection that was pretty awful actually, but this was un related to the e-cig.

You see, there was some painting going on in this house and the paint had a NASTY chemical smell and those types of things irritate me. This did to the point that I actually got a sinus infection.

the sore throat initially I am certain was the e-cig, the sinus infection that followed however, I know was not caused by it.

Just wanted to update. I no longer have a sore throat OR a sinus infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread