Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I've been eyeing the Mythical Fabrications site since another member shot me a link after reading one of my posts on another thread (good lookin' out danca :toast:). Price is pretty reasonable for the wood mods, and I LOVE the looks, but Grimm Green had a kind of iffy review post that kind of makes me hesitate. I want the looks, but if I lay out the money I need function as well as form. Anyone have one of these? How's it work for ya? Doesn't seem to be much about 'em here, but I'm sure some of our ECF pipe enthusiasts must have some feedback.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
Yeah, I know, that's whats making me hesitate, but E-pipe Mods are a bit outta my price range at the moment. I know there are things like the King or the smok epipe out there that are more in my league, price-wise, but I really want something with that LotR, ren fair kind of look. I've thought about maybe doing a wood texture J-wrap for the Smok, but....I dunno.

SimianSteam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
The Jungle
Yeah, I know, that's whats making me hesitate, but E-pipe Mods are a bit outta my price range at the moment. I know there are things like the King or the Smok epipe out there that are more in my league, price-wise, but I really want something with that LotR, ren fair kind of look. I've thought about maybe doing a wood texture J-wrap for the Smok, but....I dunno.

From what I saw the low end of the Mythical Fabrications pipes was $125, unless I missed something. ePipeMods has a bunch up for $125.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
Not e-pipes, but traditional pipes. Loved the feel in the hand. And you are probably right about trying something inexpensive before investing in a nice one. Honestly, I want one primarily for use at things like medieval fairs, the occasional D&D nights, etc. Dorky, I know, but what can I say, I want the nerd cred. :laugh:

SimianSteam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
The Jungle
Not e-pipes, but traditional pipes. Loved the feel in the hand. And you are probably right about trying something inexpensive before investing in a nice one. Honestly, I want one primarily for use at things like medieval fairs, the occasional D&D nights, etc. Dorky, I know, but what can I say, I want the nerd cred. :laugh:

I've had a few. First was a Sunpipe from Italy. It was nicely made but kinda big, and it didn't hit that awesome. Second was a Chinese pipe. Once again, looked nice but the button was terrible. I just got this pipe from ePipeMods yesterday:
IMG_20131026_220434.jpg
Tiny, light, and hit like a BEAST. Well worth the extra money IMHO.

Steve0311

Oct 19, 2013
NY, USA
I watched that grimmgreen review as well, which actually is what initiated my interest in Mythical Fabrications. I'm not going to lie, I am a little put off by the button issues he was having, as well as the wobbly stem, but I'm really hoping it was either a user error or perhaps it was an isolated defect in the pipe itself which doesn't reflect everything the company makes. If you watch the owners video response to the grimmgreen video, he states that grimm was using the wrong battery, which may account for the issues.

Either way, I find myself very interested in the wood pipes and body styles that this guy offers and I have a feeling i'm going to be buying up a wood/black walnut/hobbit/tan sinew/18350 version. If it's no good I will update you all, but I like these enough that I'm willing to give it a shot. One so-so review doesn't necessarily nix the whole thing. Let's just hope the churchwarden stem fits correctly, and the button fires reliably.

Steve0311

Oct 19, 2013
NY, USA
The battery Grimm was using is a Panasonic CGR18650CH, which should work every bit as well as an AW, it's one of the better batteries out there. I really dig the looks on them, please let me know how it works out for you, if you end up getting one.

Yea I hear you on that, I think it may be because it was flat top rather than button top, not a quality issue but a configuration issue. Either way, I will have it (WILL, haha) within the next 2 months and I'll definitely let you know. I'll be posting pictures and may even do a video review, since I've noticed a distinct lack of user video/written reviews on these things (which is excusable, it is a small company afterall).

Shane Bappe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Cozad, Nebraska, United States
I've got one on the way. They are having issues with filling orders right now because of the holiday spike in orders, machine issues, and parts on order but I think they are about up and running. I haven't been waiting long and I'm patient for it even though I'm extremely excited for it to get here. I have high hopes for it. I love giving business to the smaller guys as well. I think this is a four man operation, my kind of business right there. I'm sure I'll pop in here and show it off once it gets here. It's exactly what I was looking for in a pipe. All the other pipes out there look semi-rediculous for my tastes. I'm all about the handmade wood and so glad I found Mythical Fabrications. I saw the Grimm Green video too, that's actually how I stumbled onto these guys. If I have issues, I'll just contact them and look for answers but it's such a simple device there really shouldn't be any that at least don't have an easy fix.

Nofretz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
DFW
theculver.yolasite.com
For anyone having issues with the (old) switch not working or firing part time, I found that at the underside of metal cap they scraped off the coating at the battery but not at the ring contact. All I did was sand down the bottom edge so it's smooth which made a better contact with the ring - fires every time now. This will create a sharp edge so don't forget to sand down the outside edge as well.

Kbro

Jan 15, 2014
United States
I started trying to order from MF in January but they were having website problems. I finally emailed an order in, after four weeks with no word, I emailed to inquire about my order only to find out that my order never got processed (even tho I emailed with a live person and gave them my order in great detail) . I emailed another order and paid for it with paypal. Now, Mythical Fabrications has had my payment for almost 3 months. They keep posting on Facebook about one issue after another after another. They also posted that they aren't answering emails because they are behind and are trying to limit distractions. So... they won't answer a simple email from a customer that has had NO word from them for almost three months but they somehow keep finding time to post on Facebook.
All I can say is "this is the worst experience I have ever had with a customer oriented company."
What a shame though, their epipes look very cool. I hope I get mine one day.

Olddawg

Jan 24, 2014
New Hampshire
I know there are some issues that MF is going through.
Equipment failure and the likes, but it's a handmade pipe vs a CNC production pipe (or metal).

I'm still awaiting mine, been a few months..
Yet, a handmade pipe, wooden and fit's the design I'm after...
I'll wait!
I'm going to enjoy this for years, so a couple more weeks.. No problem.

Just MHO..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread